Talk

Advanced search

To be pissed at GP?

(13 Posts)
OutingOutlander Tue 02-Apr-19 16:49:18

Doctors just keep messing me around and I'm fed up.

I'm 12 weeks postpartum, and still bleeding (have been continuously since I gave birth). GP just says that it's fine and to let it run its course. If 6 months go by from the birth and I'm still bleeding then he may refer me somewhere. I might have to keep bleeding for another 3 months!

On top of that, LO is breastfed. I had one lump in my boob and a female GP checked it and said it was fine. I now have two lumps, my boob is sore, producing less milk and I feel sick all the time, every day, and I'm definitely not pregnant again. Yet I was just told that postpartum is odd (in a phone appointment, so they didn't feel my breast for lumps after the second lump appeared) and that it's probably fine.

I'm really annoyed at "women's issues" just being written off and that it feels like postpartum issues, in particular, are largely ignored.

So AIBU for 1 - being pissed off, and 2 - asking you all for advice on what I should do?

I'm in pain in my boob, I'm worried about the lumps and I'm cramping and bleeding still.

Treaclesweet Tue 02-Apr-19 18:00:28

YANBU! Doctors can be very dismissive. Are the lumps on the surface? Maybe a blocked duct? How long have you had them?

I'm not sure I have any great advice but I'm bumping your post in the hope someone else can help.

Rarfy Tue 02-Apr-19 18:07:09

@OutingOutlander do you have a maternity assessment unit at your local hospital?

I am 12wks post partum tomo and still having my csection wound dressed. At my local gp now but at a time was traipsing to the MAU to be dressed and i must say they were excellent. It might be worth giving them a call.

PeoniesandPretties Tue 02-Apr-19 18:11:49

Do not give up, I'm nine months pp and have just (I think) been given the all clear, very traumatic birth and issues with my vagina. We were just about to go private when thank you universe I was referred to the same private hospital by an excellent locum I happened to see! Care and environment were on a different level. You know your body so just stand your ground. It's so hard pp, our hormones also make things seem so much worse. Good luck op.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Tue 02-Apr-19 18:12:43

Can you speak to your health visitor?

greathat Tue 02-Apr-19 18:21:24

I bled for quite a long time. Think about 11-12 weeks. Saw one doctor that dismissed it. The second gave me antibiotics and was appalled the first had dismissed it. Bleeding stopped 2 days later

HicDraconis Tue 02-Apr-19 18:30:55

Bleeding at 12 weeks not uncommon - it’s longer than the average though, and if it’s still heavy with clots or smells offensive you need to be checked for retained products.

Lumps in boob with soreness - highly likely to be blocked milk ducts which can lead to mastitis. Again, needs checking and possibly antibiotics.

I’d be pissed off with your GP too. Can you make an appointment elsewhere? Or go to an urgent care / walk in centre?

avocadochocolate Tue 02-Apr-19 18:41:01

Phone up the NCT helpline re your boobs. They are experts in infant feeding and everything related to it.

As for your GP.....not good. I have just switched to a new GP because, like you, I was being dismissed. Look up the reviews of your surgery on the NHS website - my old one scores 1/5 and the new one 4/5. If there seems to be a general problem, consider switching- it is easy to do.

missymayhemsmum Tue 02-Apr-19 18:50:29

Find out who the lead doctor at your GP practice for maternity issues and make an appointment.
Or tell your health visitor that you think you have a womb infection and mastitis and your GP has dismissed it.

StuntCroissant Tue 02-Apr-19 18:53:25

OP I was still bleeding 3 months this postpartum too. I was dismissed three times by GPS/HCPs until I insisted on an ultrasound at the hospital. I had a 5cm piece of retained placenta. Bleeding for that long is not normal - it could be an infection or retained products.

StuntCroissant Tue 02-Apr-19 18:54:56

Just to add my bleeding was light and did not contain clots or smell at all.

GetsIt Tue 02-Apr-19 19:06:39

Just to say that I am with you 100% re GP's and women's health!! I've had the same issue (v different from yours by the way) for 15 years and have been brushed off every time I go to the Dr I was taken seriously for the first time last week and Dr arranged inveatigation and I nearly cried!!

OutingOutlander Wed 03-Apr-19 11:15:43

Thank you all you lovely people! Had an awful night with LO so only just getting round to replying.

My GP's is so awful, everyone I tell who my doctors surgery is pills a face or says something along the lines of "poor you". Found out by chance from a pharmacist that another doctors in the area is taking on new patients (before ONLY my doctors were taking on new patients) so I have got the forms from them to get us registered there instead. To put it into perspective, my current GP surgery doesn't have a single GP registered there, it's all LO I'm GPs that change every day. I've not seen the same GP twice in the two years I've been at this doctors. The only consistent staff are the receptionists and 3 nurses that regularly don't show up.

Got an appointment today for the bleeding issue, being sent for an ultrasound but given nothing for it. Hoping that's a result. Annoyingly it's only 1 issue per appointment and I could only get one appointment so couldn't talk about the potential blocked ducts! I also am having vaginal issues and suspect I may have a womb prolapse.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »