Talk

Advanced search

HELP!! I think my nipple is blocked!

(21 Posts)
Princessmama18 Tue 02-Apr-19 15:38:12

Please help, this hasn't happened to me before, I'm in agony!!

One breast was really full when I woke this morning, tried to feed DD from it but she was really fussing on that one, I could she she was getting some milk but she wasn't satisfied until fed from the other, it still feels so full now and it's so painful I don't know what to do, I have fed from it, expressed from it, bathed in warm water, what else can no do its getting so sore I can barely touch it now hmm

Treaclesweet Tue 02-Apr-19 15:45:58

Oh dear. Can you feel a solid blocked duct somewhere? You need to get as much milk out as possible, by feeding or hand express.

Cjt110 Tue 02-Apr-19 15:46:05

Get yourself an emergency appointment. I've had engorged boobs when BF'ing but also had mastitis 4 years AFTER I finished breast feeding and almost ended up with sepsis.

In the meantime, can you hand massage at all? My breasts were really engorged and I pumped like no tomorrow and it really helped.

Treaclesweet Tue 02-Apr-19 15:46:47

kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

KnittingSister Tue 02-Apr-19 15:48:03

Paracetamol, heat and massage, keep going until you can get a GP appointment. Hope you feel better soon.

Princessmama18 Tue 02-Apr-19 15:53:06

I been able to get some milk from it all day but now cannot get anything from it with DD or express

TeddyIsaHe Tue 02-Apr-19 15:55:08

Emergency appointment right now if you can’t get anything at all out. Don’t mess around.

Princessmama18 Tue 02-Apr-19 16:09:23

Didnt realise it was that urgent! Thanks everyone blush

bumpyknuckles Tue 02-Apr-19 16:17:38

Gently massage the part of the blockage nearest the nipple - massage it towards the nipple. Put some warm water into a nappy and put your breast into it. Then 'dangle feed' (lie your daughter on the bed, hover over her on all fours and lower your breast into her mouth).

If you can see a white spot on your nipple, get a sterilised needle and try to 'lift' the spot.

Princessmama18 Tue 02-Apr-19 16:20:43

I am managing to get small drops out now by expressing, massaging and warm water, no luck getting a docs app for today they said to call first thing tomorrow morning or go to a and e!?!
I can see a white spot, a most like a bubble?

Ohyesiam Tue 02-Apr-19 16:24:09

Firmly Hold your breast with one hand above it and one below and shake it as viverously as the pain will allow. Thus unblocked a milk duct for me., the relief was amazing.

notsodimwit Tue 02-Apr-19 16:24:26

Bless you! Hope it sorts itself out soon xx

mummymummymummummum Tue 02-Apr-19 16:24:37

I've had plenty of blockages, but never mastitis! Have you tried getting baby to feed in different positions? So if you normally use cradle hold, try rugby instead. If you can line baby's chin up with the lump then that's brilliant. Also try holding an electric toothbrush to the blockage, or another vibrating item! Remember the hard bit is the backed up milk, the blockage will be ahead of the hard part. Another good way to clear a blockage is dangle feeding - google it! Keep offering the affected breast first. Pop a drop of milk on the nipple to help entice baby, even if you have to get the milk from the other side.

NHS advice is to see a GP if you've not managed to sort things after 12-24 hours. Mastitis symptoms are also on this page. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/breast-pain-and-breastfeeding/ You don't need to rush to A&E immediately! Hope you can get it cleared.

DobbyTheHouseElk Tue 02-Apr-19 16:25:18

I think you need to pop the white bubble. Sterile needle and pop. Milk will gush out hopefully.

bumpyknuckles Tue 02-Apr-19 16:25:50

Get a needle or pin (a sharp sewing one will do). Sterilise it (I use steam / boiling water). Then try and ease the white bubble away from underneath with it. That's what's blocking your flow. I've had this a couple of times - it's horrible.

TeddyIsaHe Tue 02-Apr-19 16:28:20

Milk bleb. Horrible blighters!

kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/

Princessmama18 Tue 02-Apr-19 16:40:12

OMG you guys are amazing!!! I've just popped it, a load of milk poured out, and I've managed to express a load!! The relief!!!!!

bumpyknuckles Tue 02-Apr-19 16:55:58

Empty your breast out as much as possible now, preferably by feeding your baby. Over the next few days, rub the end of your nipple with a flannel in the shower (to stop the skin healing over again) and apply lots of nipple cream. Either start each feed on your blocked breast or hand express off it while your daughter feeds on the other one (to keep your milk flowing and stop the blockage reforming).

Princessmama18 Tue 02-Apr-19 17:00:25

Will do bumpy knuckles thanks sooòo much flowers

OhWotIsItThisTime Tue 02-Apr-19 17:06:11

If you get a little blister on it, stick cotton wool with a bit of olive oil on the end down your bra and over it. You can then scuff it off on the bath with a flannel.

If it happens again and you can’t see the white bit; hot bath, hot as you can bear. Start massaging boob underwater and hand expressing. The heat will melt the block.

Princessmama18 Tue 02-Apr-19 18:55:01

Thank you xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »