Talk

Advanced search

to ask for help with interview questions on here

(13 Posts)
Ceci03 Tue 02-Apr-19 15:25:48

I've asked before, but now I have an interview!!! Yay!!!

The one I stumbled on before was 'tell me about a time when you negotiated and got the outcome you wanted'

I couldnt think of anything.

What about this - last week there was a deadline on friday, it comes round every year, and this year I made a big effort to chivy everyone along, and offer to 'help' them in order to meet the deadline, as if I didnt it would mean extra work for me? Maybe that's not really what they want though.

Or, I was trying to think about sorta making something up about introducing a new process, to do with technology, and getting everyone on-board with it?

Which one sounds better.

Any other tips gratefully received... feeling nervous. would love to get the job and am feeling pressure. it's nearly better when you're not that bothered, Id probably do better then.

StealthPolarBear Tue 02-Apr-19 15:26:39

Your example is probably OK if you can reword it. How did you convince them to do what you wanted?

StealthPolarBear Tue 02-Apr-19 15:27:02

And good luck!

Ceci03 Tue 02-Apr-19 15:31:01

I suppose I pointed out to them that if they held it up by not doing their part, it has knock-on effect on me - i.e. I have to do more work cos they are late. I suppose it's more of an example of 'getting people to do what you want' rather than a negotiation. I'm a secretary and just cant think of anything I actually negotiate. I dont have much power lol! Have to do what I'm told most of the time.

Halloumimuffin Tue 02-Apr-19 15:36:35

I'd use that example but leave out the bit where it benefited you - say that you negotiated with the team to assign extra man-hours to a specific task so that it would be completed by a set deadline and avoid knock-on effect of creating extra workload for another team (this is you, but you pretend it isn't you...) Say how you went about it, for example I outlined the pros of completing the task on time, saw things from the team's point of view to empathise with them, compromised on x, offered y, etc etc.

DorisDances Tue 02-Apr-19 15:47:48

Congratulations on getting the interview. Making something up is never a good idea as you can usually tell if people are lying. Your first example isn't that strong I'm afraid - taking on extra work yourself doesn't indicate you were able to negotiate an agreement. With negotiation questions, I want to hear you explain the different viewpoints of people and how you were able to resolve the conflict whilst keeping the goodwill of those involved. So it may be that there is an issue covering occasional Saturday working. Let's say no one wants to do this voluntarily. You might explain how you got the team together and set out why the cover was important and how valued their contribution is. You could ask their opinions and for suggestions to resolve. You could then discuss so it might be that you negotiate that x, y and z take turns on a Rota but that you accept w can't because she has valid reasons why and so you negotiate with her that she will work later one day a fortnight so z can leave early that day in exchange for him covering w 's Saturday. Negotiation is about trting to find a mutually agreeable way forward. Does that make sense?

Ceci03 Tue 02-Apr-19 15:49:52

yes I see what you mean dorisdances. I just cant think of anything. the trouble is I'm a secretary and I usually have to do what I'm told? I dont get to 'negotiate' really. I'm racking my brains, but I'm not a 'boss' of any sort so dont have much say really. usually its me who has to adjust, adapt etc etc.

NutellaFitzgerald Tue 02-Apr-19 15:52:13

That a not a bad example. What they are looking for is an example of you a) not being a pushover and b) not being a bully. So a terrible example would be: "well there was this one time when my colleague wouldn't help out on a task so I told her I'd get her fired if she didn't help." A better example would be: "one time I needed my manager to buy x y z for my role. I explained why x y z were needed to help, that I could finish my task sooner, freeing me up to work on a b c afterwards. He agreed and purchased x y z." That s a good example because it showed you looking at the issue from the other persons point of view and saw their gain and not just your own.

Ceci03 Tue 02-Apr-19 16:11:52

what about this: there is a printer and photocopier in the office beside me, and a woman works in there, its like a 'reading room'. both were always running out of ink, and I wouldnt know until they did as I was hardly ever in there. so I "negotiated" with her, that she would take charge of the ordering of toner and ink, as she would have more knowledge of when they were about to run out, and she could keep a spare in her desk. (true story lol)

Eliza9919 Tue 02-Apr-19 16:39:58

I'm a secretary and just cant think of anything I actually negotiate. I dont have much power lol!

What about with suppliers or caterers?

Ceci03 Tue 02-Apr-19 16:44:01

yeah maybe. not that often do I have to deal with them. actually I remember a saga with a shredding company, maybe I could use that. thx

DraughtyWindow Tue 02-Apr-19 16:47:39

Having interviewed using ‘Competency Based Questions’, the examples can also be from outside the workplace too. As long as the examples are related of course. Best not to make them up as they will use further questioning for sure. How, why, which, where and what. If you make it up you’ll get caught out.

Coffeeonthesofa Tue 02-Apr-19 16:57:45

As a secretary do you have conflicting demands on your time? Have you had to go back to a boss and negotiate an extension of time for a project, so that you could deliver an improved outcome if you were given extra time or resources.
Have you introduced a new office procedure that they were initially reluctant to get on board with but that you knew would work well if given a chance ? Did you have to negotiate a trial period to prove to them that your idea was going to show a real benefit to both you and them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »