Talk

Advanced search

To feel absolutely rubbish

(5 Posts)
Laura221 Tue 02-Apr-19 12:34:22

I don't really know what I want people to say really maybe just to let me know I'm not the only one?

So I just had my first driving lesson in 3 years after doing lessons and an intensive course 3 years ago and it was just awful. As soon as I got in the car I wanted to cry. I just hate driving. I can't do it. I cried and finished the lesson early. I'm an 27 year old with a career and 3 children but this is such a massive hurdle I just can't get over. I feel so embarrassed that I can't drive. Do I just have to admit that it's not for me and accept it? Anyone the same?

NewIdeasToday Tue 02-Apr-19 12:36:43

It helps if you can find a driving instructor who is supportive and encouraging. Can you try looking for different instructors- maybe one who is good at supporting drivers who aren’t naturals at it?

madcatladyforever Tue 02-Apr-19 12:37:13

My sister did her driving test 21 times before giving up and taking the automatic driving test.
We all took the piss mercilessly which was a bit mean.
My son has never passed his driving tests and he is 36!
I had to take beta blockers before I took my test or I'd never have passed either. What you really need is somewhere to practise with no pressure. We founf a disused car park with roundabouts and junctions where I could practise for hours and it made it all so much easier.

HennyPennyHorror Tue 02-Apr-19 12:37:56

I can't drive. I get public transport and cycle. The thought of driving a car makes me feel sick and I hate getting in them with someone else driving.

I manage and have children. It's more eco-friendly too.

Laura221 Tue 02-Apr-19 12:47:29

Thank you all. I just feel like such a failure.i think I'll look into automatic and see if I can get a supportive instructor once I've given myself time to get over this massive fail.

I just feel like not being able to drive will hold me back. I want to progress in my career still but not being able to get to the city easily holds me back and silly things like not being able to take my girls to partys if my husbands at work just sucks. I'm just having a wallow in self pity arent I? Urgh. I'm just going to wright today off and move past it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »