Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant after vasectomy.?

(65 Posts)
Nataliagibson Tue 02-Apr-19 09:42:21

Hi all!
My partner had a vasectomy after our 2nd child 2 years ago! I had spotting last week and feeling sick past few days so on the off chance took a test... and got a BFP!
Then noticed the test is 1 day out of date! 😬 what are the chances of this test being wrong?

Livingoncake Tue 02-Apr-19 09:44:22

Sorry, you’re going to have to buy a new test!

I have heard of vasectomies not working before. It’s rare, but not impossible.

cherrryontop Tue 02-Apr-19 09:45:08

i don't think 1 day out of date would instantly make a false positive...

Hope you are ok with the results and if not you have support you need x

Nataliagibson Tue 02-Apr-19 09:45:40

i am going to buy another test this aft

Bambamber Tue 02-Apr-19 09:46:52

Did he have his sperm count done after the vasectomy?

Nataliagibson Tue 02-Apr-19 09:47:25

I always wanted another, my partner didn’t! We have discussed and he is happy if it’s pos also

SwoopTheJackpot Tue 02-Apr-19 09:47:43

Did your DP get his TWO samples checked to confirm his vasectomy was successful after the op? If he got the 'all clear' it's unlikely you are pregnant.

Nataliagibson Tue 02-Apr-19 09:47:48

No he didn’t! He went straight back to work and forgot about it

Nataliagibson Tue 02-Apr-19 09:48:34

He didn’t do any samples after

DirtyBlonde Tue 02-Apr-19 09:49:45

Failure rate of vasectomy is 1:2000, though at least half of that comes from shagging before a all-clear semen test.

POAS again, but i think it's really quite likely the first test is accurate.

You can find our if DH has spontaneously re-canalised by getting him retred (I think all private providers of vasectomies will carry out that st est fa small fee)

Circeplease Tue 02-Apr-19 09:50:28

Congratulations OP!

Babdoc Tue 02-Apr-19 09:50:47

Depending on how the vasectomy is performed, it is possible for the vas to recanalise, but it is very rare. More commonly, it wasn’t correctly performed in the first place, but this would be detected by the semen samples your DH submitted to the lab a couple of months after the procedure. I’m assuming his samples were negative?
Your first step should be to repeat the pregnancy test, then if it’s positive get your DH to retest a semen sample, as he may need the op repeated.
Is there any possibility you are pregnant by someone other than DH?
If the pregnancy is confirmed, you obviously have the more immediate concern of whether you wish to continue with it or not.

Nataliagibson Tue 02-Apr-19 09:52:25

No there’s not a chance it’s anyone else’s; have been with him 10 years

Babdoc Tue 02-Apr-19 09:53:01

Cross posted - I see your DH didn’t submit samples. That was rather foolish, and certainly not normal practice in the NHS - you are not given the all clear until there are two negative samples.

Nataliagibson Tue 02-Apr-19 09:54:25

He was never given the all clear, he had the op, went back to work the next day and forgot about it he presumed it worked as haven’t got caught the past 2 years

thecatsarecrazy Tue 02-Apr-19 09:57:38

My dh never had his tested either. Been a year now. Just hoped for the best

Nataliagibson Tue 02-Apr-19 10:02:20

Thecatsarecrazy I would say go get tested or you could be in this predicament down the line

CookPassBabtridge Tue 02-Apr-19 10:14:10

Even without the test, surely his tubes are cleaned out after two years? Can't imagine sperm living that long in the cut tube... but anything is possible! Good luck OP.

Peterpiperpickedwrong Tue 02-Apr-19 10:25:13

cook it would be from the tubes rejoining (or not cut properly in the first place) and flow being restored.

Nataliagibson what a shock. have you told DH about your positive test or are you waiting until you re test?

BeanBag7 Tue 02-Apr-19 10:25:22

@CookPass I assume it's more that the tubes weren't fully cut, meaning sperm can still get through, rather than old sperm hanging around for 2 years

Nataliagibson Tue 02-Apr-19 10:30:11

Yes we discussed it before testing

EmrysAtticus Tue 02-Apr-19 10:47:05

If he hasn't had the all clear then it may be that the op didn't work in the first place. I doubt one day past use date would cause complete failure of a test.

PregnantSea Tue 02-Apr-19 11:29:26

I know a failed vasectomy is unusual but a false positive on a pregnancy test is almost unheard of. Sounds like you're pregnant OP! Congrats!

Nataliagibson Tue 02-Apr-19 11:33:27

Taken another test clear blue which is negative

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Tue 02-Apr-19 11:36:29

Christ I'm worried about this - my husband had his vasectomy last summer, he did the two tests and they came back negative BUT the first test he had hanging around in its envelope for a couple of days so imo that one first count. Because the next one, done properly was negative head first want to bother paying for a third. Now I have sensitive nipples confused not late yet though so just trying not to think about it. Good luck op, hope the outcome is what you want it to be!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »