Talk

Advanced search

To ask if the drs could be doing more for me?

(2 Posts)
IfYouCouldSeeMeNow Tue 02-Apr-19 09:11:04

I had a cystoscopy for suspected bladder cancer on Saturday, thankfully I do not have it and my bladder looks healthy.

I've had a letter today that I've now been discharged back to my GPs, who don't seem to be intending to do anything else... but my symptoms haven't altogether stopped.

I was initially referred because of substantial blood after urinating. It turned into about three weeks of on-and-off bleeding, but it was heavy and uncontrollable when it was 'on'. I had an internal at the doctors and was told my cervix looked fine, but the doctor was surprised at how much I was bleeding. I lost 4kg overnight before the heaviest nights bleeding; they sped up my referral. Eventually, I was very iron deficient and a nice OOH doctor gave me norethisterone, which lessened the bleeding a bit, and it stopped a few days later.

As part of that, I had an ultrasound of my kidneys and bladder, blood tests and then the cystoscopy. I've had the cystoscopy results but nothing else.

I'm still bleeding vaginally when I'm at the gym doing anything that involves bending the abdomen. My weight is fluctuating a fair bit still, and I am bone tired. I can sleep anywhere, at any time. I got 10 hours sleep yesterday, I am still shattered. I'm getting lower groin/pelvic pain randomly.

I've called the GPs today about next steps, and they've said that they've put the initial bleeding down as an early miscarriage and that we'll see how everything else goes... but I'm worried. And probably at risk of losing my job if I can't stay awake.

I've been on the pill throughout this. I never had a positive pregnancy test. I'm concerned that this is going to be something bad... Would it be unreasonable to phone them again, or email, and ask them to look into what else it could be?

My periods are usually really light and manageable, so this is unusual. I'm concerned it will affect my ability to have children in the future...

Lougle Tue 02-Apr-19 09:36:25

I don't think you have been discharged back to your GP in the sense that you're 'ok'. The way GP referrals work is that they send a particular department a referral for, say, a cystoscopy. That's the genito-urinary department. When that department finds nothing amiss (a good thing!) then they 'discharge you back to the GP'. The GP then has to consider whether you should be referred somewhere else, say, gynaecology. That will be a new referral, and the GP would include information that bladder cancer had been ruled out, but bleeding still persists.

Go back to your GP to discuss the letter and next steps.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »