Talk

Advanced search

How would you try to get a year 6 class back on track?

(19 Posts)
2019Oscars Mon 01-Apr-19 19:17:39

Ok - so a year 6 class - lots of challenging behaviour, primarily from 4 boys and 2 girls. Whole class affected though - always being shouted at, challenging ones rewarded though.

WombatStewForTea Mon 01-Apr-19 19:28:37

High expectations. Mutual respect. Clear boundaries.

Guessing you aren't the teacher though OP

saywhatidontmean Mon 01-Apr-19 19:29:32

hmmmmmmmmmmm

BeanBag7 Mon 01-Apr-19 19:30:04

Have you tried asking on The staff room board here?
I would ask a senior colleague to observe your class and see if they have any ideas. Do you have a "parking"system where you can send disruptive children to another classroom. Works particularly well if you send a year 6 to a much younger classroom as it's a bit more embarrassing.

2019Oscars Mon 01-Apr-19 19:35:24

I am not a primary teacher. This is from a parental point of view. Thank you BeanBag and Wombat. High expectations sounds good.

WombatStewForTea Mon 01-Apr-19 19:41:01

If you have a concern then raise it with school. No point asking us as a) we don't know the school and b) it isn't your problem to fix. What are you going to do, waltz up to the teacher and suggest they have high expectations? If you have a problem then approach the school.

I'm a year 6 teacher and quite frankly this term is shit and that teacher will be flogging themselves silly.

Tarrarra Mon 01-Apr-19 19:44:15

Have you been in the class volunteering and seen this, or just heard this from your child?

2019Oscars Mon 01-Apr-19 20:04:57

Wombat and Tarrarra - yes.

HopeClearwater Mon 01-Apr-19 20:10:07

Too late. Nearly SATs and then they think they’re untouchable because they’re about to leave. And they pretty much are untouchable. Seen it a few times in my career. There’ll be lots of tears from the naughty ones on the last day as well.
Kids eh....

Iggly Mon 01-Apr-19 20:11:44

Unless you’re actually a member of staff teaching these kids, it’s not your place to make suggestions or try and fix this.

Takethebuscuitandthesink Mon 01-Apr-19 20:40:52

There isn’t much you can do as it’s not really your place you can only act in the interests of your child. But if you have any more children at the school I would put in a formal request in writing that they don’t get the same teacher. I think you should have raised this before Christmas and earlier instead of waiting until it’s too late.

ScarletBitch Mon 01-Apr-19 20:41:04

Isolate the trouble makers

ALLMYSmellySocks Mon 01-Apr-19 20:42:32

It would depend on the reasons for the challenging behaviour. Positive reinforcement is great but those kids may need further support to help them actually behave well enough to get the positive reinforcement.

Practicallyperfectwithprosecco Mon 01-Apr-19 20:47:46

I have a very challenging class this year with a lot of behaviour issues and SEND. I am an experienced teacher with high expectations and usually excellent behaviour management skills. I have tried every trick up my sleeve and a few new ones that have been suggested but at times it's a real struggle to manage the class.

I really would not appreciate a parent suggesting to me how I should manage my class. This teacher I'm sure is very aware of behaviour issues and is probably trying their best to manage it.

Or perhaps you are planning to go and show them how it should be done on the advice of random internet strangers who haven't a clue about the class and it's needs!

mummmy2017 Mon 01-Apr-19 20:52:27

Sorry with one term left , not mean change will change .
But wait till karma bites them in the bum, the trouble makers tend to find the new school comes down hard on them, while the good ones tend to rise to the top.

spanieleyes Mon 01-Apr-19 20:56:59

I would suggest you support the class teacher.

Year 6 at this time are a nightmare, even the best behaved suddenly go off the rails. They know which secondary school they will be going to, friendships suddenly become strained as children re-form friendship groups to match and a "pecking order" is established. They know there is little by way of sanctions that can be applied at this point, added to which is the looming presence of SATS. the teacher is stressed, the pressure is increasing and the slightest thing can tip the scales. Add to this the "children with challenging behaviour" and you have a volcano waiting to explode.

Carpetburns Mon 01-Apr-19 21:01:09

I am the teacher of this class; wish I had the answer. sad

spanieleyes Mon 01-Apr-19 21:08:54

Well, at least you have the OP on your side hmm

ShawshanksRedemption Mon 01-Apr-19 21:09:04

Is it affecting your child OP? In which case, you can approach the class teacher in the first instance giving examples of how it's affecting your child and ask what steps can be taken in the interests of your child.

Year 6s are a nightmare this time of year, as stated upthread. However, there may be all sorts of other reasons for behaviour - undiagnosed learning difficulties, mental health issues etc. And there is no quick fix because there's not enough money to support those kids with those issues.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »