Talk

Advanced search

To think housework never ends?

(66 Posts)
mcjx Mon 01-Apr-19 18:16:37

Seriously, does anyone else feel this way? I feel like all I do is housework and I just can't be bothered.

I have guests coming tomorrow afternoon and can't motivate myself to get my arse in gear sad

How do you all keep on top of it?

Mammylamb Mon 01-Apr-19 18:17:19

A cleaner.

If you can afford it, get a cleaner

Hollowvictory Mon 01-Apr-19 18:17:43

Cleaner

Dementedswan Mon 01-Apr-19 18:18:23

It's a never ending thankless task. I'm bored of it too op.

I'll wait for more helpful replied with you.

YemenRoadYemen Mon 01-Apr-19 18:20:52

A woman's work is never done.

Obviously it should no longer be women's work. So perhaps the saying should be a mug's work is never done.

As soon as you've wiped the bench down, it needs wiping again. Laundry, dishwashing, vacuuming, mopping, bathroom, etc, etc. The cleanliness lasts mere moments and has to be repeated ad infinitum.

mcjx Mon 01-Apr-19 18:39:34

Can't afford a cleaner or I totally would get one sad

On mat leave at the moment so I feel as though I should be getting something done!

Dontgiveamonkeys1350 Mon 01-Apr-19 18:42:19

Ugh. It doesn’t. Ever. I clean the kitchen. Five mins later stuff everywhere. Cupboards doors dirty again. Why the men in this house can’t leave the bathroom clean is a mystery.

I manage to go in brush my teeth extra and don’t get toothpaste all over the sink and the mirror.

Black sock fluff on the floor. Hoover it up. More the next day. Dishwasher needs emptying again. Bed making. Everything gets dusty two seconds after cleaning.

And I’m a cleaner. I wish someone would clean my house

Hiddenaspie1973 Mon 01-Apr-19 18:43:02

Yeah it's crap.
I end up doing lots on a day off. But on Friday i fucked off on a long bike ride somewhere new. Soooo liberating.
So I did some today.
I work pt, if i worked ft it'd still come down to me. No thanks. So pt plus hwork and garden work and child work it is.

Exhaustedmummy1811 Mon 01-Apr-19 18:43:33

Place marking for any insightful wisdom! As a single mum to 5 dc I really struggle to get it all done and stay on top of it so that my house is tidy for any longer than 5 minutes at a time lol I actually posted on Facebook this week saying 'can someone please tell the cleaning fairies they missed my house' 😂

Charley50 Mon 01-Apr-19 18:49:52

Well of course housework never ends!

GlamourBear Mon 01-Apr-19 18:53:54

Try the organised mum method....has helped me loads. She has a website/blog and a Facebook and Instagram page as well as a Facebook group! Once you get into it you notice a real difference and find you have less to do.

HopefulAgain10 Mon 01-Apr-19 18:58:47

Who else is in the household? Can everyone be assigned a task and get busy?
We have a cleaner.

GrumpyOldMare Mon 01-Apr-19 18:58:58

It does in my house.
Did housework this morning,as I've been at work since Friday. Won't need to do it again for a few days except to wash up and make my bed.

Will whizz round again on Thursday as working from Friday till Monday.
I do tend to clean as I go in the kitchen and bathroom anyway,so doesn't feel like ''proper'' housework.

OrdinaryGirl Mon 01-Apr-19 19:02:27

It's a nightmare. My cousin says the only way to have a tidy house is to be constantly tidying.

For us the problem has been more to do with clutter than cleanliness. So getting a cleaner wouldn't have helped really as s/he wouldn't have known where to put everything, and it isn't the dirt that gets me down, (a dusty surface takes two seconds to clean) it's the clutter.

What did help here was Kondo principles of discarding VAST amounts of stuff. Then making sure everything has a home. She says that you need to have homes for stuff where the thing is really easy to put away, or you just won't do it. It doesn't matter if it's tricky to get out, as you're motivated to GET the thing because you need it. But when you've finished with the thing, you don't have the same motivation to put it away.

Now surfaces and floors are clearer of clutter, it's a lot easier and quicker to clean them. We're not 100% there by any means but my goodness it's so much better than it was.

OrdinaryGirl Mon 01-Apr-19 19:03:57

Oh, I also recommend following minimalist pages on Faceb*ok. It can act as a helpful prompt to focus on life being simpler and easier.

Singlenotsingle Mon 01-Apr-19 19:20:40

Maybe you set your standards too high? I shop and cook every day but apart from that I only do other stuff when it really needs it. Probably Hoover twice a week, the dishes go in the dishwasher, and the kitchen gets a little confused k and a promise. The promise is fulfilled on Saturdays when it's dp's turn. grin

Charley50 Mon 01-Apr-19 19:48:56

Tbh I don't actually do much housework. Our flat is quite small. I decluttered quite a lot and we have quite low standards.
Probably clean about once a week, with little bits and bobs in between.
I like having visitors as that's when I make more of an effort and the house gets a proper clean.

SurgeHopper Mon 01-Apr-19 19:49:59

It's all bollocks

Cornettoninja Mon 01-Apr-19 19:54:22

It’s fucking constant isn’t it? And it’s so depressing the only things that get noticed are the things you don’t don. Never mind you spend ages dusting, mopping, and hoovering forget to clean the toothpaste off the mirror or still have dishes to wash in the sink and you look like a sloven.

yearinyearout Mon 01-Apr-19 19:54:22

It's like the bloody Forth bridge, especially with a dog in the house...I can vac and mop today and it'll still need doing again tomorrow so some days I just think sod it. I don't need a cleaner as I'm here most days and I actually think that makes me lazier. If I had one free day a week to do it I would probably be more effective! As it is I think "I'll do it tomorrow" 😬

MrsKipling1980 Mon 01-Apr-19 19:56:44

Feel your pain OP 😭

user1480880826 Mon 01-Apr-19 19:59:29

If you have a partner make sure they are pulling their weight. Being on maternity leave doesn’t mean the housework is all your responsibility.

alliejay81 Mon 01-Apr-19 20:01:00

I work part time (4 days) and I have a cleaner. I still seem to spend my entire life; tidying, wiping surfaces, cleaning door handles (do not know how they get so dirty), washing, ironing, cooking, loading and unloading the dishwasher, hoovering, etc,etc etc....

I have it easier than most and I still find it endless!!!

formerbabe Mon 01-Apr-19 20:02:10

I'm a sahm of school age dc and even with six hours childfree time a day, I can't keep on top of the housework confused

Shitonthebloodything Mon 01-Apr-19 20:03:21

No it's fucking relentless.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »