Talk

Advanced search

Help needed - what can I do re money paid into account

(50 Posts)
adviceneeded0101 Mon 01-Apr-19 16:58:55

Have name changed for this as is very specific. I have had a payment made into my company account back in October last year let’s say from company A. I assumed it was from a client and attributed it as such (it was for an amount which is regularly paid for my services).

Anyways I get a call from company B (a client I worked with once) saying that they had made a payment to me in error etc could I refund. I stared to do this and then realised that they are not company A. I assumed that they were maybe a subsidiary and asked that they give me the bank details for the company that the mistaken has come from.

Well it turns out - they have nothing to do with company A. They had filled in a refund form and put my bank details rather than their own on a form! So I have suggested that they get company B to contact me and I will obviously deal with them (it’s a significant amount and I fear that refunding this to company b still means that company a can come after me - as they are the ones who made the payment).

Now apparently company A won’t contact me as- to their mind, company b gave them details, and they have paid the right amount to the account they specified (mine!)

I have no issue in giving this money back - but how on earth can I when this company won’t contact me? Company b are harassing me but I’ve pointed out - when it comes to this payment I have absolutely no reason to give this to them and leave myself liable to company b coming back to me.

Am rather worried about this - but what can I do??

adviceneeded0101 Mon 01-Apr-19 18:51:31

I have chased C - but as I say one off piece of work, C is in Asia and an individual, and not replying - I fear that money is long gone now sadly .

Cakeisbest Mon 01-Apr-19 18:41:52

Completely separate issue to A and B: Now you are aware an invoice is outstanding for another customer who you thought this payment was for, I would contact them to pay their overdue unpaid invoice. They can always check to see they never paid you although most likely they are probably fully aware they never paid. You could say something like following an internal audit it has come to your attention that their bill is still outstanding. Worth a try now you know they haven’t paid.

Chloemol Mon 01-Apr-19 18:38:11

Return the m9ney to whoever made it, company A? Then they can sort it out

adviceneeded0101 Mon 01-Apr-19 18:36:04

I think it’s befause I don’t feel entirely innocent - I should have clicked that it wasn’t for me - though of course I could never have connected it to company B.

Drum2018 Mon 01-Apr-19 18:35:27

Contact your bank and ask if they can trace the bank details of company A from when the payment was made. When I worked in the bank (many years ago I admit) this was possible. So I imagine there would be some way of doing it now. Then you can transfer the funds back to A. I'd flag it as a money laundering issue and ask the bank to help deal with it (whether it is an innocent mistake or not). Do not transfer directly to B.

And with regard to the amount genuinely due to you from 4 months ago, send a reminder to that company/person. There is no time limit to seeking funds owed to you. We are dealing with a CF company who drag the arse out of paying and are awaiting a payment from 4 months ago too, but we won't be letting it go. And we won't be likely to do business with them again.

flitwit99 Mon 01-Apr-19 18:31:51

There is nothing more annoying than getting caught in the middle of someone else's mess when you're entirely innocent.
What a nuisance.

Hold firm though, you're doing the right thing.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Mon 01-Apr-19 18:26:43

What a pain in the neck OP. Don’t pay Co B, I agree. Good luck getting it sorted out.

TyrionsNextWife Mon 01-Apr-19 18:25:48

Yup, you can smell the panickers a mile away grin
A few weeks back I had a company that had a large overdue balance send us money, then 2 days later the accounts assistant was on the phone demanding it back as it was meant to go to another supplier. I pointed out that since they owed us money, it was mine now and most certainly was not getting refunded.

I got threatened with all sorts, including being told on to the financial controller. The FC called me a few days later, apologised for the aggro and promised that the remaining balance would be with us soon. Not sure that was the result the accounts assistant was after grin

adviceneeded0101 Mon 01-Apr-19 18:19:16

@Newpapguinea - no it’s not - you do have to give it back - which I would if only the person who actually paid it was asking for it back lol.

adviceneeded0101 Mon 01-Apr-19 18:17:41

Tyrion’s - it is a junior member of staff - he was very polite and then it a bit “well My director is not going to be happy about this and will contact you” (in the manner of “I’m going to tell my mum” grin

Peterpiperpickedwrong Mon 01-Apr-19 18:17:05

X post

NewPapaGuinea Mon 01-Apr-19 18:16:44

If you bank transfer to a random isn’t it hard luck anyway? They should have been more diligent.

Peterpiperpickedwrong Mon 01-Apr-19 18:16:40

Oh and I’m seriously out of pocket anyways as the amount was incorrectly matched to an invoice (completely not related this - but for the same amount) which I’m very unlikely to be able to get paid at this stage

Still worth requesting payment from them, they will have a record that they haven’t paid you and still owe you.

Tyrion has posted a reply that sounds perfect.

RUOKHUN Mon 01-Apr-19 18:16:13

Nope completely got that wrong... ignore me 😂 So confused

adviceneeded0101 Mon 01-Apr-19 18:15:54

Hi Billy - I have done (did it straight away), however they are overseas, outside of the EU, not a regular customer and haven’t come back to me - I very much doubt I’ll see it again sadly..

RUOKHUN Mon 01-Apr-19 18:14:17

So company A owes you money anyway? Tell company B to sort it with company A.

billybagpuss Mon 01-Apr-19 18:13:00

Whatever you do regards A and B it’s worth sending an outstanding invoice to company C that genuinely owes you the money.
But no only pay back to the company who paid you in the first place.

TyrionsNextWife Mon 01-Apr-19 18:12:04

They’re panicking because they screwed up and need to get the money back. Who is it that has been contacting you? I work in finance and have come across similar situations, and the ones threatening legal action etc tend to be junior staff who are trying to get it sorted before the boss finds out!

adviceneeded0101 Mon 01-Apr-19 18:11:51

I’m also a bit pissed off about the bank details thing tbh- how on earth did my back detials end of up on their form? Sorry am just ranting really.

adviceneeded0101 Mon 01-Apr-19 18:09:33

Sorry crosspost! I think that’s perfect thank you!

adviceneeded0101 Mon 01-Apr-19 18:08:34

They rather wildly were threatening the small claims court - however I’ve pointed out again that, in relation to this payment I have no relationship with them but will happily refund to A - but will only deal with A directly and can they please get A to contact me (a is refusing to do so).

I guess I could try and find the contact details for A - but fear that this won’t actually stop B from hassling me of A don’t then repay them iyswim. I believe that A is a large company. (b isn’t exactly small).

TyrionsNextWife Mon 01-Apr-19 18:05:03

Send them something like this, and then don’t get dragged into anymore negotiating with them.

TyrionsNextWife Mon 01-Apr-19 18:04:13

Dear company B,

I am unable to refund any payment that did not come directly from yourselves. If a third party believes that they have paid me in error, then upon receipt of bank details I will refund them directly.

I can not discuss another persons account with you, nor can I act as an intermediary and process payments on someone else’s behalf.

If you are disputing a payment with another company, then you will have to deal with them directly. I am unable to assist and will not enter into any further correspondence regarding this issue.

Regards

adviceneeded0101 Mon 01-Apr-19 17:58:48

Sorry sorry sorry!! I think I’m babbling... company A - I have never ever dealt with. They are obviously a supplier of company B. Company B I did a tiny amount of work for at some point last year (well before this payment).

For some reason my back details were obviously lying around in B’s office (I assume) and someone has used them when filling in a form for company A.

TyrionsNextWife Mon 01-Apr-19 17:56:30

JUSt saw your update, so ignore my post about clearing a’s debt.

In that case, you refund A and they refund B - send a firm email stating that payments will only be refunded to the originator and that you won’t get involved in any dispute between them.

If A don’t send you bank details to refund, then that’s up to them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »