Talk

Advanced search

Cost of a Diet Coke

(22 Posts)
starsparkle08 Mon 01-Apr-19 14:44:28

Just walking my dog today and decided to pop into a pub for a Diet Coke. Went to pay and it was £3.40 ( this was for a pint )
I was shocked at the price of it . I’m in Midlands , this was a rural pub not even in a town or city centre

BadLad Mon 01-Apr-19 14:47:00

My experience is that it has always been not much less than a pint of beer. It's especially annoying when the glass is full of ice.

SugarMiceInTheRain Mon 01-Apr-19 14:48:02

That is a lot! I don't drink and am usually on the diet coke when I go out. Would probably expect to pay £2ish for a pint of it in a pub in a city in the East Midlands. I obviously don't frequent particularly classy establishments!

Brilliantidiot Mon 01-Apr-19 14:55:50

Work in a nice hotel and that's about what we charge, And diet drinks are cheaper where I work than full sugar because of the sugar tax. I think diet is £3.00 and full sugar £3.50.
I don't think there's a lot of mark up on post mix drinks, when you take into account the syrup, the gas, equipment hire etc. Especially if it's branded and not an unbranded version.

BarbaraofSevillle Mon 01-Apr-19 15:04:07

Sometimes the price is high because you're being charged for 2 drinks, ie a normal diet coke is £1.70, which doesn't sound too bad, but if you have a pint of diet coke, you're actually being charged for 2 normal sized drinks.

Ridiculous rip off, especially considering there's no alcohol tax on it and it's that awful post mix stuff. Or was it two or even three of those small glass bottles? That might explain it.

You could argue that the price you pay is for the ambience of a comfy seat in (or outside of, given that you had the dog with you) a nice pub. Otherwise you could have just bought a drink from a shop or fast food restaurant, for far less.

PinkHeart5914 Mon 01-Apr-19 15:07:13

Soft drinks in a pub can cost nearly as much alcohol in my experience, it’s always been this way.

It’s why one should drink wine.....

SpoilsburyToastGirl Mon 01-Apr-19 15:09:59

Brilliant - surely there's a massive mark up on postmix, a drink is basically fizzy water and a splash of syrup. The markup surely is far higher than bottled drinks?

Sparklesocks Mon 01-Apr-19 15:32:42

Brilliant I used to work in a pub and in worked out as less than a quid for each soft drink we served using the fountain. A lot of our profit margin was from them.

JagerPlease Mon 01-Apr-19 15:35:25

Far as I know post mix soft drinks have the biggest profit margin of all drinks that pubs etc sell. But that's still a ridiculous price!

TrashPanda Mon 01-Apr-19 15:40:07

Yep, worked in pubs for years. The margins on post mix are huge.

SherlockSays Mon 01-Apr-19 15:50:58

Yep it's £3.40 in a pub local to me (West Yorkshire) I often forget and then get mad all over again when I've ordered it. Will stick to lime & soda now.

Rockbird Mon 01-Apr-19 18:17:36

Stick to 'Spoons. It's £1.99 for a pint of coke grin

Oblomov19 Mon 01-Apr-19 18:24:20

I completely disagree with completelyidiot, in the pub game, there's more mark up of pump soft drinks than there is on just about anything else. Total rip off. Really gets my goat.

Brilliantidiot Mon 01-Apr-19 19:03:01

I'm going on what we're told in regards to staff discount only on certain things, because with a discount we'd be paying less than what it costs. So we're told. Post mix is one.
A box of branded diet coke is between £70-£80 by a quick Google, 7litres makes about 45 litres of finished drink, which makes 79 pints, take it as £80, that works out at just over £1 a pint, which is just the cost of the syrup. That doesn't count equipment hire, gas and then other overheads such as staff etc. So what, add a £1 for that? I've no idea how much a contract for hiring the equipment is though, or a contract for maintenance and repair of owned equipment. Though as far as I know, all equipment is hired and that's paid for. So a £1 may be way off.
So if we said £2 cost for a pint. So sold at £3 a pint, it's a mark up of a £1. So that's a % markup of 50% (is that right? I'm not great at this stuff)

I'd think the markup on spirits and wines is much higher than 50% - there's no gas or equipment maintenance involved (unless you count fridges for the wines)

I think I may be being fibbed to 🤔

Brilliantidiot Mon 01-Apr-19 19:22:03

Oblomov19

If you were going for an insult there based on my username it usually helps if you spell it correctly.
I think you were going for completeidiot were you? Not completelyidiot?

No idea why people need to be so insulting just because they disagree with someone. And especially as I said I don't think there's a massive mark up, because ya know, I know I don't know everything, and might be wrong. And by my calculations (again, might be wrong) the info I got was wrong.
No Biggie - well unless you're on MN of course!! grin

funnylittlefloozie Mon 01-Apr-19 19:38:19

Never mind pub prices, i paid £2.65 for a CAN of diet coke outside the British Museum today 😳

Macaroonmayhem Mon 01-Apr-19 19:42:09

Floozie I paid £2.50ish for a can in a cafe in Aviemore last year. Utter rip off.

Al2O3 Mon 01-Apr-19 19:44:57

I completely disagree with Oblomov19 for completely disagreeing with completelyidiot when in fact they meant to completely disagree with Brilliantidiot unless Oblomov19 was completely disagreeing with an imaginary poster called completelyidiot which is not unreasonable in the current political environment in which case I will completely disagree with Brilliantidiot for not being complete in their approach to disagreeing, but I like diet coke though.

puppy23 Mon 01-Apr-19 21:35:45

I was charged the same last week, its a joke - even more so given you'd pay £1.35 for a 500ml bottle in Tescos

WaitedForGodot Mon 01-Apr-19 21:41:00

No way a pub will be paying £70-80 for 7L of postmix. That's the price for one box online including delivery, not for buying in bulk.

Slippiepippie Mon 01-Apr-19 21:48:07

Lol

You would hate Ireland then

Average €6 for a basic 5% pint or kopparberg

€3 is normal for a small coke in a pub

Oblomov19 Tue 02-Apr-19 07:36:48

Sorry Brilliant, it was a genuine username mispost!!
But looking back, it has been dramatic! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »