Talk

Advanced search

Glasto when pregnant..

(63 Posts)
mummasboy Mon 01-Apr-19 13:14:02

I know I am being COMPLETELY unreasonable but

Am I bonkers to want to go to Glastonbury festival when 36 weeks pregnant?!

I need voices of reason to tell me that I am being ridiculous/it will be too much etc

It's my favourite place on earth and would love to be able to tell my son his first Glasto was in my tummy! blush

Silly, I know

Lou573 Mon 01-Apr-19 13:19:49

Wow, I’m all for carrying on with most things when pregnant OP, but I gave birth at 36 weeks. You’ll be very uncomfortable...

londonloves Mon 01-Apr-19 13:22:08

I honestly think you would be mad to do this.

acciocat Mon 01-Apr-19 13:23:46

People give birth at Glasto you know! 36 weeks is fine!

acciocat Mon 01-Apr-19 13:27:34

Actually I’ll add to that: if the weather is boiling then it’ll be hard work- as you clearly know from having been there before, the site is very exposed. But then again you’ll probably get rain grin

I would pitch the tent somewhere a bit more out of the way rather than the busiest places. Take a camping chair. Be prepared to do Glasto a bit slower this year. But honestly life doesn’t stop when you’re pregnant. What would you be doing if you weren’t at the festival? Probably mooching about on maternity leave, sitting in the (hopeful) sun and chilling out. You can do Glasto a bit more in that vein and you’ll be fine. I would avoid the mosh pit though.

lickencivers Mon 01-Apr-19 13:30:11

Im going to lattitude at 37 weeks, youll either be fine, or you wont - have fun though!!

BeanBag7 Mon 01-Apr-19 13:31:53

Pregnant, fine
36 weeks pregnant, no I wouldn't

Matilda1981 Mon 01-Apr-19 13:32:06

I went at 35 weeks pregnant but I only did two nights - hunsband went on the Wednesday with out friends and set everything up and I just went Friday - Sunday - that was enough to be fair!!

Snipples Mon 01-Apr-19 13:36:23

No I wouldn't - having done glasto in the sun a few years ago and in the staff camps so in relative luxury in comparison - there's no way I'd fancy it heavily pregnant. I'd skip it this year and watch it at home.

HighlyUnlikely Mon 01-Apr-19 13:36:36

I nearly went at 35 weeks. Turned out DS made an early appearance and I would have had him on site! Far too crowded for me these days, I prefer watching from my sofa and thanking god I'll never have to be under canvas ever again

TheYellowOctopus Mon 01-Apr-19 13:37:36

I normally go every year, this year I'll also be 36 weeks pregnant and even though I really really want to, I'm not going to go. I feel like this years going to be a hot one and although I'd like to think I could cope I really don't think I'll be up for the miles and miles of walking!

BoobiesToTheRescue Mon 01-Apr-19 13:37:53

For the day? It will be fine! Plenty of food, water and breaks.

But to sleep?

No fucking way. It's painfully enough to sleep in you're own decent bed at that far along. Let alone camping...

MamaBear8686 Mon 01-Apr-19 13:42:26

I went to a festival at about 15 weeks pregnant and even then I was knackered, pissed off and worried about being jostled. At 36 weeks I wouldn't go tbh but that's just me.

Sitdownstandup Mon 01-Apr-19 13:44:19

I would have been so horribly uncomfortable with mine at that stage. It was bad enough on my decent own bed and sofa. And honestly, you're going to be pissing constantly at 36 weeks. You'll end up having to get in bog queues even when you don't need to go, just so that by the time you do need it you've got a toilet available.

Hollowvictory Mon 01-Apr-19 13:45:03

No. If you went into early labour it could be a challenging environment to be in. Plus to uncomfortable. If it rains you can't sit down, if it's hot there's no shade.
Have you been before?

babysharkah Mon 01-Apr-19 13:46:11

Voice of reason - FUCK THAT. It will be horrific.

Have you got a ticket?

ForalltheSaints Mon 01-Apr-19 13:50:34

Just make sure you know how to get help should the baby decide to enter the world then.

whitehalleve Mon 01-Apr-19 13:52:54

You'll spend the whole day queuing for the loo

whitehalleve Mon 01-Apr-19 13:53:07

Again and again

Wallsbangers Mon 01-Apr-19 13:53:35

I couldn't have got up from the floor at that stage so camping would have been a no for me!

How would you get to hospital if you need help? Will your partner be staying sober?

PCohle Mon 01-Apr-19 13:53:48

I don't think you're being ridiculous but I think you'll be wildly uncomfortable and I'd be surprised if you actually want to go when the time comes.

I had to pee approx. every 15 minutes at that stage! Worrying about going into labour and stressing over every twinge would also be a bit of a dampener.

Mesmeri Mon 01-Apr-19 13:54:42

For me, it would be a no. But I hate big crowds and portaloos with a fiery, burning passion at the best of times... and at 36 weeks pregnant, I would not have been enjoying that. If you do go, wear a long skirt with no knickers so you can pee standing without anyone knowing, if necessary (completely mingin behaviour, but an acceptable life saver at a festival...)

SharkSave Mon 01-Apr-19 13:57:38

Sounds like hell for me plus I went into suspected premature labour at 35 weeks with no warning signs.

exWifebeginsat40 Mon 01-Apr-19 13:59:09

could we all stop calling it Glasto please. it makes my teeth itch.

Islands81 Mon 01-Apr-19 14:00:28

I went 2 weeks before dd1 was born. When it was muddy I was too scared to walk around much in case I slipped over. And we had a truck in the middle of site so I could rest somewhere comfortable if I needed. If you’re thinking of going in a tent, I wouldn’t do it. But then I’m snobby about tents pregnant or not grin

Marchitectmummy Mon 01-Apr-19 14:03:17

I went to Reading festival at 33 weeks when pregnant with my first. Toilets were tricky during the day so busy and hard to balance for me anyway. And very tired legs.
In hindsight I should have sold the ticket and stayed at home.

Damntheman Mon 01-Apr-19 14:04:43

Haha! Oh wow I would NOT have wanted to be camping at 36 weeks, and I LIKE camping.

That said though, if you don't live that far away and you want to go for the day? Why not! Any chance of still managing to book a B&B in town/nearby at this point?

Fraula Mon 01-Apr-19 14:06:50

No. Rest up. You'll be exhausted.

ScruffGin Mon 01-Apr-19 14:07:31

Difficult... I may attempt it in a campervan, but you'd be very uncomfortable camping and queuing with all your bags/tent etc. If you do go, I'd choose a campervan (not the hill of death side), and take it slowly.

Labour not likely to be an issue, there are hospitals nearby and you'd have time to get to them.

I managed to be pregnant etc in the fallow year, luckily, so she's coming this year at just over a year old, not sure I'd attempt it at 36 weeks pregnant though!

SabrinaTheTeenageBitch Mon 01-Apr-19 14:07:37

Not ridiculous as such but I can't imagine anything I could be less arsed with at 36 weeks pregnant. Everyone is different of course but that would be a huge no from me

hammeringinmyhead Mon 01-Apr-19 14:15:12

No. All that walking! Trying to get out again in a medical emergency would be a nightmare. I couldn't even work in an office any more at 36 weeks, let alone camp.

Treaclesweet Mon 01-Apr-19 14:38:42

Honestly I do not think this is a great idea and i love festivals! If you have your heart set on it though just be prepared to spend most of the time around your camp. Glastonbury is huge and there is so much walking! You don't want to be knackered if you go into labour, you'll need your strength.

I went to a festival at 27 weeks and I was fine in the daytime but I stayed in on the evenings as I found being around drunk people quite scary. I didn't want to be accidentally shoved or elbowed or whatever.

Namestheyareachangin Mon 01-Apr-19 15:12:36

If you want to knock yourself out, but allow me to say bugger that. I was a sweaty whale at 36 weeks and that was in December. I'd have dropped with heat exhaustion. And yes probably fallen over in a portaloo and landed in something unmentionable.

I'm a big lover of Glastonbury, went frequently in my 20s, but can't see it being fun!

Only way I'd consider it is in an air-conditioned teepee grin

Namestheyareachangin Mon 01-Apr-19 15:14:07

God yes that as well @Treacle. Can't count the number of times revellers wending their way back to their tents have tripped on a guy rope and landed heavily on my tent in the darkness at festivals. I'd be worried about getting a really hard knock!

MidsomerBurgers Mon 01-Apr-19 15:16:27

Good luck fitting into a portaloo at 36 weeks pregnant OP.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 01-Apr-19 15:21:49

*If you do go, wear a long skirt with no knickers so you can pee standing without anyone knowing, if necessary (completely mingin behaviour, but an acceptable life saver at a festival..)

Eurgh. I really wish it wasn't.

How come there's no good behaviour that's only acceptable at festivals?! It's all peeing in horrible places and drunken public blowjobs. Not the nice side of festival life.

I probably wouldn't go at 36 weeks, it sounds horrendous, but I've not been pregnant so I don't have much to go off!

peachgreen Mon 01-Apr-19 16:21:40

I would have been totally fine. Loads of other people wouldn't. It's a big risk - you might well not be up to going and end up wasting your money.

AngeloMysterioso Mon 01-Apr-19 16:28:02

A friend of mine went at about that stage in 2017. She shelled out for the pre-erected campsite with nicer facilities and people were great about letting her to the front of the line for toilets, water etc... and she had a great time!

Who would you be going with?

mummasboy Mon 01-Apr-19 16:29:50

Just finished work and I'm catching up on these messages, thanks all.

I do have a ticket, which I need to pay the balance for by this Sunday. DH has one too, and has his mind made up about not going even though I said he could go without me.

Hadn't even considered the toilet situation!! Gosh it'll be awful, won't it. Thank you to everyone that mentioned that in particular.. it's put me right off!

Sadly live far too far away for a day trip.

I'm in awe of the ladies that have said they've done it at similar stages - my friend went at 7 months but then again she is a trained midwife herself and was surrounded by friends who were healthcare colleagues!

I think watching it from home is a good idea this year, will let my ticket go back into the pot for someone else to enjoy! X

AGirlinLondon Mon 01-Apr-19 16:32:04

You’ve been before so you know the answer to this is weather-dependent!

They have excellent medical facilities (mate who is a nurse volunteers).

Glorious sunny year = yes I probably would

Mud bath year = no way

But then I had an easy pregnancy and I’m taking a little one this year which I swore I would never do - so maybe don’t listen to me 😂 we’re staying in Glastonbury village in a hotel though!

MinisterforCheekyFuckery Mon 01-Apr-19 16:33:45

I bloody love Glastonbury but at 36 weeks? Fuck that for a game of soldiers! There's no way I'd have coped with a festival at that stage in either of my pregnancies. I'd have been much too tired, fat, sweaty, uncomfortable with pain in my back and hips, nevermind needing to wee every ten minutes! I'd also be worried about getting help if something went wrong or going into early labour. It just doesn't seem worth it.

Crappygilmore Mon 01-Apr-19 16:37:07

If you a generally fit and your pregnancy hasn't been too difficult then why the hell not. Ive done pregnancy festivalling and apart from the tiredness and not drinking its all good. Maybe hire a campervan for the week to save sleeping on the floor. Get a lightweight chair to carry around and their are wonderful orgonisations that do water bottle refills if u buy a wristband for a few quid which saves u carrying around water all day. Eat vegan/veggi only so no dodgy tums and avoid the mosh pit. So many women are put off doing this because of horror stories of giving birth in a field. But i think just be sensible. If u can afford it get a b&b near and commute via taxi if its too much. Good luck and congratulations on your pending bundle of joy.

exWifebeginsat40 Mon 01-Apr-19 18:56:03

wait until August and take your newborn to Beautiful Days instead.

Tootyfrooty35 Mon 01-Apr-19 19:11:56

Five days at Center Parcs was too much for me at 32 weeks 😂 had horrendous piles from all the walking!

It's a no from me but I assume you already have a ticket so just decide the week before? Give ticket away or sell if you're feeling crappy.

Popuppippa Mon 01-Apr-19 19:22:31

Don't do it.

I went to a festival at 36 weeks with DC4. I had my older 3 children with me plus a friend of DS1. It was a complete mudbath, knee deep in mud and it was actually dangerous to walk around.

In the end we were given a refund after the first 36 hours as it just wasn't possible for me to move around safely. Even with industrial wellies on. On the plus side my kids still speak fondly of that weekend and what an adventure it was grin

hannahbanana2007 Mon 01-Apr-19 19:35:59

Ah Op I feel for you I was in exactly your position 3 years ago! I had also been before so was very tempted! The decision was made for me in the end as I found at 20 week scan I had low lying placenta and unless it moved (which I couldn't find out til 34 weeks) would be high risk for bleeds etc so I didn't pay balance on ticket. I will say, when I was massive and uncomfortable watching glasto at home on my sofa (with an ice cream) I felt a bit sad to miss out but relieved as it had definitely been right decision. And then I took my son the following year instead which was ace!😊

BlueSkiesLies Mon 01-Apr-19 19:37:53

Totally U

You won’t be able to drink. You’ll be on your feet for fooooooking hours and walking miles.

The crush of crowds at pinch points will he scary for you.

Staying in a camper would at least get you a toilet and bed - but that increases the walking you’ll be doing.

Awittyusernameishardtofind Mon 01-Apr-19 19:44:21

It’s not worth it. As much as I love glasto being preggers at a festival would be a nightmare. the queue for the long drop, nowhere to sit, getting squished at the pyramid, walking back and forth between there and John peel. It’s too much.
I had to miss it the foo fighters year and will be missing it again this year. Maybe see you next year in the kids field 😂

DelilahfromDenmark Mon 01-Apr-19 19:44:36

Not read the whole thread but I say go for it. I was clubbing in Ibiza at 7 months pregnant. Pacha at 3am while sober is an interesting experience. But it was so much fun and I’m so glad I went.

Awittyusernameishardtofind Mon 01-Apr-19 19:45:02

Also the smell of the long drop + morning sickness.

luckyrabbits Mon 01-Apr-19 19:46:54

I wouldn't, dirty loos etc not worth risk of getting an infection. Pregnant and balancing over a long drop - nope!
I've been to festivals in early pregnancy but wouldn't contemplate at 36 weeks

Awittyusernameishardtofind Mon 01-Apr-19 19:49:15

Also the line up isn’t great..

queenrollo Mon 01-Apr-19 19:54:30

@Wallsbangers they have fully qualified midwives on site and she would be taken off site to the local hospital which is equipped for births. The infrastructure at Glastonbury is actually really efficient.

OP - how far do you live from the site? I didn't go the summer I was pregnant as it's 5 hours from home for us. If I could get off site and home in a couple of hours I would probably do it.
The NCT tent (bottom of Kidz Field) are amazing and the Radical Midwives up in the Greenfields are also an amazing resource for pregnant women. Both places have room for you to rest/nap.

Kennehora Mon 01-Apr-19 19:58:02

Also the smell of the long drop + morning sickness.

Unlikely to still be having morning sickness at 36 weeks, but otherwise yes as everyone else has said, it's a really, really bad idea.

I went to some 1-day festivals in London at 35-36 weeks pregnant and was very, very glad to get home every time.

Awittyusernameishardtofind Mon 01-Apr-19 21:48:24

I had morning sickness up until I had my baby

snarfblatt Mon 01-Apr-19 22:04:17

I was still going to gigs and carrying equipment for the band at 38 weeks and while I was uncomfortable (and had some contractions at the last one I went to) I was glad I was still doing stuff I loved and not just sat at home. I'd do a festival for sure but only if I was within an hour or so of home - otherwise the journey and distance from my home comforts should baby turn up early would make me nervous!

I did joke about going into labour at a metal gig but in hindsight am so fucking glad that didn't happen as being in a shitty pub would have been the pits. Sounds like Glastonbury has some great facilities though so not such a concern!

AnneEyhtMeyer Mon 01-Apr-19 22:05:00

At 36 weeks I went to John Lewis to buy some last-minute bits and bobs for my baby. We parked and went in and I never got further than the toilets. Every time I left the toilets I needed to go back. We came home with nothing.

Stay at home near the loo and watch it on telly.

Smotheroffive Mon 01-Apr-19 22:15:55

I wouldn't buy a ticket till very close so you know how comfortable or not you are.

There certainly are amazing MW there who will look after you very well,but as you've been before you'll know the risks of getting knocked about and how physically draining it can be. If you're not sleeping anyway then its just as easy to not sleep there!

I managed very well in high heat, and didn't have bladder frequency issues, and would have been happy to birth there if needed,but you do have to be prepared, and take extra comforts.

It really depends what you expect I guess.

Mumsymumphy Mon 01-Apr-19 22:22:31

Is this your first pregnancy? I was hospitalised at 36 weeks (3rd DC) with polyhydramnious, i was the size of a house and couldn't sleep, walk or get on and off the loo without help. Methinx you would be crazy to go at that time! Even with a normal pregnancy everything is 10 times harder by that stage. Don't chance it.

SAMlady Mon 01-Apr-19 22:31:04

I wouldn't, I skipped it at 39 weeks as was sure the walking would have bought on labour and didn't want to give birth there as go with friends, but DH.

Do people really pee in long skirts - eugh!!!

feelingsinister Mon 01-Apr-19 22:37:26

I think not going is a good decision. I do know people who have been when pregnant but not that far along.

I know the festival very well and I wouldn't do it.
It's fucking massive and tiring.
The weather is usually one extreme or another. Really fucking hot or really wet IME.
Toilets-urgh.
Trying to get comfy in a tent-urgh.
People pushing and shoving especially at night.
It's a magical place and the healthcare on site is brilliant so I'd have no concerns there but you'll probably be exhausted and a bit miserable.

feelingsinister Mon 01-Apr-19 22:39:56

@Smotheroffive the last time you could buy a ticket close to the time was 2008 after two really wet years. No chance of making your mind up closer to the time unless you're happy to lose the ticket price.

AngeloMysterioso Mon 01-Apr-19 22:45:19

I’m going but I’ll only be 23 weeks. I tend to stick to the compost loos mainly anyway and my shewee has been a game changer!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »