Talk

Advanced search

to think Jon Snow shouldn't be hung out to dry

(117 Posts)
CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 01-Apr-19 12:43:39

.. for commenting on the 'whiteness' of the pro Brexit march?

Or that Channel 4 shouldn't have apologised for it... it was an observation, not a judgement... and it was factual.

How is that racist?

Apparently he is having to wait and see how many complaints are received before the ASA will decide whther or not to act!

It was discusse, somewhat reasonably, on JV Radio2, a while ago. I'm cathing up so sorry if there is already a thread on it!

noodlenosefraggle Mon 01-Apr-19 20:52:21

colehawlinsI agree with you. The case for remain is that our deal in the EU is far superior to any other deal on offer. Insinuating that leave voters were all white, when I think quite a large minority (I think 30%bme and a higher %age Asian) voted leave does nothing. Thats part of the reason leave won in the first place. Preaching to the converted is pointless. The remain March from what I saw was largely white too. Im guessing the bigger demographic difference was class.

BoneyBackJefferson Mon 01-Apr-19 20:30:49

TheNavigator

Obviously not all leavers are thick white racists. But all thick white racists are leavers

this is also not true. I know some remainers that are also "thick white racists"

Stereotypes help no one.

TheNavigator Mon 01-Apr-19 20:27:59

all leavers are thick white racists

Obviously not all leavers are thick white racists. But all thick white racists are leavers. And people do end up being judged by the company they keep.

MattFreisWeatherReport Mon 01-Apr-19 20:23:14

I was. It was predominantly white, but then Britain is. There were certainly plenty of black and Asian people there too.

BoneyBackJefferson Mon 01-Apr-19 20:11:53

I wonder if he was at the remain march?

A look on google images shows a huge amount of white people.

fromsheffieldtobrighton Mon 01-Apr-19 19:51:16

He knows how to make a little talent go a long way, that's for sure!

I look forward to the cock commenting on the ethnic diversity of every crowd he comes across but of course he won't and that's because he wasn't just describing in a say what you see moment, he was pushing his own agenda-that is, all leavers are thick white racists.

He has demonstrated totally wrong, sloppy dog whistle thinking but I imagine he is basking in the glow of all the Champagne Charlies slapping him on his back! He's got some balls to think people want to listen to a two bit reporter's views.

I don't know if he is a racist but he is certainly thick and white and, as the song says, two out of three ain't bad!

mellongoose Mon 01-Apr-19 19:07:28

Just trying to imagine the reaction on MN if Boris had made a similar 'observation' hmm

No criticism of JS just leaving it there for balance.

Limensoda Mon 01-Apr-19 18:59:24

He knows nothing

Don't be silly. Everybody knows something! grin

CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 01-Apr-19 18:42:21

I had forgotten that! She is someone that used to be very, very high powered and active in women's health, HIV. I remember going to a health talk and the CEO of a very large MegaCorp / BigPharma reported being absolutely overawed by her passion for her job!

MattFreisWeatherReport Mon 01-Apr-19 18:36:02

I think that white people often tend to assume that the opposite of racism is colour blindness, and think that it's more polite not to acknowledge race and skin colour at all. Jon Snow's wife is black and presumably he has had to move beyond that attitude, assuming that he ever had it.

TheHorseYouRodeInOn Mon 01-Apr-19 18:34:58

@StealthPolarBear
White walkers are from Game if Thrones, they Are sinister anad zombie like! ( and lethal)

polarpig Mon 01-Apr-19 18:09:31

I was a bit shocked when he said it but I can't articulate why either.

MattFreisWeatherReport Mon 01-Apr-19 17:51:29

It would be great if we could use Stephen Yaxley-Lennon's real name, instead of his man-of-the-people pseudonym.

MillicentSnitch Mon 01-Apr-19 17:37:32

Two separate events: March to Leave (met by Farage) and Make Brexit Happen (UKIP rally with Robinson speaking)

RuffleCrow Mon 01-Apr-19 17:31:47

He knows nothing.

CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 01-Apr-19 17:27:59

I thought we established that Tommy wasn't there? Well, some of us had worked out there were 2 separate marches - Make Brexit Happen and March to Leave. But they ended up in the same place, not all that surprisingly as it was Parliament Square, and both Farage and Robinson spoke to the assembled crowd.

From the pictures I don't think they were on the same stage, especially unlikely given that Farage left UKIP because of Tommy's appointment!

QueenBlueberries Mon 01-Apr-19 17:14:31

I think there is far right, and there is the 'right' and right now, the difference is important to make. You might, for example, consider Robinson to be far right and maybe, I don't know, Dominic Raab to be on the right of the spectrum. I think it's very dangerous to assume that most leave voters are on the far right.

colehawlins Mon 01-Apr-19 17:02:48

I thought we established that Tommy wasn't there?

BlackCatSleeping Mon 01-Apr-19 16:59:22

But the speakers were Nigel Farage and Tommy Robinson, right? I think it's safe to say that such an event is not exactly going to attract the Left, even if they voted leave.

QueenBlueberries Mon 01-Apr-19 16:48:15

I don't think it was organised by the far right. It was organised by the Leave means Leave campaign, who I don't think is a far right organisation. I am sure some of its members are far right but not all, that's for sure. I don't think protests are meant to 'represent' anything, especially as most people will go to a local protest and few will travel long distances (there are some exceptions obviously). However, considering that it was in London, the fact that the protest was so predominantly white was, in my opinion, an interesting piece of information.

PickAChew Mon 01-Apr-19 16:29:55

And not all of the walkers are northerners. Some signed up to just do sections of the walk so, in theory, there will be walkers from the Midlands and South East.

BlackCatSleeping Mon 01-Apr-19 16:22:48

I assume the march was organised by members of the far right, which is why the protestors were all white.

I don't think the march reflects leave voters. It just reflects a certain section of leave voters.

CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 01-Apr-19 16:21:20

The march has been referred to by other commentators as the Gammonball run, so while JS's turn of phrase was unfortunate, it was a valid observation. That has been very much my take on it over the afternoon.

PickAChew Mon 01-Apr-19 16:17:17

The march has been referred to by other commentators as the Gammonball run, so while JS's turn of phrase was unfortunate, it was a valid observation.

QueenKubauOfKish Mon 01-Apr-19 16:08:45

Saying "I've never seen so many white people in one place" doesn't sound like something that's literally true - of course he will have seen loads of white people in one place. It's more just a hyperbolic phrase like "that's the biggest piece of cake I've ever seen". It's a slightly snarky way of saying "Well what a shocker, they're all white".

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »