Talk

Advanced search

to think Jon Snow shouldn't be hung out to dry

(117 Posts)
CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 01-Apr-19 12:43:39

.. for commenting on the 'whiteness' of the pro Brexit march?

Or that Channel 4 shouldn't have apologised for it... it was an observation, not a judgement... and it was factual.

How is that racist?

Apparently he is having to wait and see how many complaints are received before the ASA will decide whther or not to act!

It was discusse, somewhat reasonably, on JV Radio2, a while ago. I'm cathing up so sorry if there is already a thread on it!

Amongstthetallgrass Mon 01-Apr-19 13:23:45

Ow thought it was a GoT thread.

<< exits quickly >>

CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 01-Apr-19 13:27:49

I've never seen GoT.. and can't run away frm my own thread smile

What Jon Snow wanted to say, was it was it had all the hallmarks of a white supremacist march. Did he? Really? It didn't sound like that as he said it.. but I don't know, I am not him!

Even if the march was a lot like a EDL protest. I suspect that is colouring your opinion! Many parts of the UK are very white... it's not really all that unusual unless you have always lived in an ethnically diverse area.

colehawlins Mon 01-Apr-19 13:29:15

@RedToothBrush you've convinced me.

Time40 Mon 01-Apr-19 13:31:05

White walkers sounds very sinister and zombie like, is it meant to?!

Yes, StealthPolarBear. They're zombies from Game of Thrones. "He knows nothing" is GoT, too.

pepperpot99 Mon 01-Apr-19 13:31:50

He wears nice ties and loves fine art (seen him at several exhibitions over the years) so he's ok in my book.

CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 01-Apr-19 13:32:18

Ah! I missed all of that... maybe I should consider watching the bloody thing or, horror of horrors, reading the books smile

Springwalk Mon 01-Apr-19 13:36:41

It is a racist remark which is why he has apologised. Quite apart from the fact there was a huge number of people from all races that will be offended by the remark ( including lots of French supporters)
To make public comments about race live on air is beyond stupid.

CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 01-Apr-19 13:40:31

Huh? I all of those races * had white skin then I fail to see your point.

*What's with that fucking word making a come back? You mean nationalities - 'races' is inherently racist!

QueenKubauOfKish Mon 01-Apr-19 13:43:43

If you live in London, a large group of almost all white people will look unusual. It's possible you'd get a group of almost all black or asian people, but because they are a minority, that would almost certainly be for a reason, like an event to do with a particular religion or BAME issue, therefore it wouldn't be remarkable.

Whereas most people on one side of a political argument being white, is more of a noticeable thing to comment on.

Bad idea to actually comment though because it opens such a big can of worms about what he might be getting at.

Shadycorner Mon 01-Apr-19 13:46:09

I agree it was ill advised but surely valid in the context that some groups with strong connections to racist organisations were marching? I agree he should have worded it better though.

colehawlins Mon 01-Apr-19 13:46:09

* He wears nice ties and loves fine art (seen him at several exhibitions over the years) so he's ok in my book.*

Do you realise how many senior fascists and Nazis that description could apply to?

I generally like Jon Snow myself, but not for clothes and art.

Shadycorner Mon 01-Apr-19 13:47:41

I mean, how can you call out racism without mentioning race? (Genuine question, not being snippy.).

ForalltheSaints Mon 01-Apr-19 13:48:20

According to IPSOS More, 31% of BAME people voted Leave. So a valid point to ask if few or none of them were on the march on Friday.

colehawlins Mon 01-Apr-19 13:49:03

* I agree it was ill advised but surely valid in the context that some groups with strong connections to racist organisations were marching? I agree he should have worded it better though.*

* I mean, how can you call out racism without mentioning race? (Genuine question, not being snippy.).**

You do realise you can't spot a racist from their skin colour?

BeerandBiscuits Mon 01-Apr-19 13:49:30

YABU
He should have forseen how his remarks could have been received by some, ie Brexiters are all racist.
If he'd pointed out that - like the recent Remainer march - it was all white people, he wouldn't have caused offence.

Shadycorner Mon 01-Apr-19 13:50:37

Fair point ColeHawlins . What is the correct way to phrase it?

CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 01-Apr-19 13:50:50

Race, like gender, is a social construct and is usually used to 'other' people, a hole cohort of people!

I hate to link to wiki, but here you are smile

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(human_categorization)

colehawlins Mon 01-Apr-19 13:51:11

I just wish everyone, including the normally delightful JS, would stop throwing petrol on the flames.

RedToothBrush Mon 01-Apr-19 13:51:51

Why make a comment about a lack of diversity?

That's what he was doing.

And as others say there are events you could go to in parts of the country which would have no diversity. And that would be dead normal. And not really worth commenting on.

So why make a comment about it as if its odd or unusual? Unless it's about trying to insinuate the fact that the people there are somehow racist?

This is certainly how I interprete it. And I'm sure others will do.

I suspect there were parts of the crowd like that - they were there for Yaxley-Lennon. But there were also a lot of Leavers there who were not.

And that's kind of the problem.

It was said, almost as a slur.

A journalist is there to report, and draw on evidence, not make sweeping generalisations on something sensitive. It shows a certain lack of professionalism and Jon Snow has previously come under fire for unguarded comments which stray too far into his opinions rather than being of journalist merit.

FWIW I generally like Jon Snow and think he's a good journalist, but broadcast journalists in particular are subject to a higher standard of being seen to be impartial because its part of their broadcasting remit to be unbiased.

What he said was problematic, even if it ultimately wasn't intended that way. But his track record would suggest it was intended in that way.

rangermag Mon 01-Apr-19 13:51:57

I was watching the news when he said it and did raise an eyebrow (but then promptly forgot about it). I was more confused about why Lionel shrivel was being interviewed tbh

KC225 Mon 01-Apr-19 13:52:58

Hr was wrong. And he knew what he was doing when he said it.

rangermag Mon 01-Apr-19 13:53:21

*Shriver

Autocorrect

DerelictWreck Mon 01-Apr-19 13:53:56

It is a racist remark which is why he has apologised.

Completely disagree, it's not more offensive than saying 'I've never seen so many brunette people in one place'.

The difference when it's white rather than black/asian/other examples given is that it doesn't evoke thousands of years of oppression and hate.

teyem Mon 01-Apr-19 13:54:03

It's going to be tricky isn't it shady? When people talk about far right racists now they'll just have to be careful to say that the activists were of a colouring highly efficient at absorbing vitamin D.

colehawlins Mon 01-Apr-19 13:54:32

* Fair point ColeHawlins . What is the correct way to phrase it?*

It's easier to stick to fact. "Ukippers are xenophobic", for example.

He's just lead himself into murky waters with innuendo about the ethnicity of marchers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »