Talk

Advanced search

Can someone recommend me a weightless psychology behind the fat type book?

(9 Posts)
OhioOhioOhio Mon 01-Apr-19 10:44:01

I'm posting here because hopefully someone can recommend me a book that works so well the poster would have no need to be on the weightloss threads.

I have realised that part of my problem is that I sabotage my efforts because I don't expect/want to be successful.
I'm familiar with this fatness and perpetuate it whilst loathing it.
I can switch 'thin', choices on for weeks or months at a time.
Then I lose momentum by going out for dinner or away for a weekend and spiral right back into a very destructive 'I'm fat and don't care' road.
I'm sick of living like this.

Can anyone help?

Serialweightwatcher Mon 01-Apr-19 10:51:29

I'm not sure about books, but I know what you mean ... you need to stop doing the 'thin' choices if that means buying low fat this and that, because it's not the right way. You need to eat healthily and regularly and make better choices - ie wholemeal instead of white, less carbs with a meal and bulk out your proteins with extra salad/veg/fruit and if you have a 'naughty' meal out etc, just try to get straight back on the healthy eating instead of probably feeling guilty and then eating out of comfort to relieve the guilt ... it's not easy, but you need to keep on the right track for life (with the odd treat here and there) and trying to do 'thin' days won't work because you're probably not eating what you like to eat

GirlcalledJack Mon 01-Apr-19 10:55:50

I haven’t found a book that holds all the answers tbh.

I have found a video that gave me a ‘I do that’ moment, so surfing YouTube last night and came across a video about an ex drug addict’s take on a chronic yo-yo dieter. If you ignore that she’s talking about Amber Lyn Reed and listen to her take on food addiction and the excuses etc that you make, it’s actually a really helpful video. I honestly found myself having a bit of an epiphany!
I will try and link it: youtu.be/TZjrld3K2C4

OhioOhioOhio Mon 01-Apr-19 11:43:29

Thank you so much. I could well do with an epiphany. I'm really successful in so many aspects of my life. I don't understand why I can't sort this out.

Siameasy Mon 01-Apr-19 11:52:40

I like the following books
Why we get fat by Gary Taubes
The obesity code by Jason Fung. Fat chance by Robert Lustig was also quite good. These authors have TED talks on YouTube.
The first book 📚 was my favourite and has completely changed my outlook. I still have frigging hell! moments now! It explains exactly how to fatten a human being so you can understand it and then tells you how to do the exact opposite. PS no calorie counting required.

OhioOhioOhio Mon 01-Apr-19 15:39:13

Thank you so much everyone.

Fatted Mon 01-Apr-19 15:46:39

There is a book called Intuitive eating that helped me.

What I will say though is that the book is not necessarily about losing weight. It's mainly about accepting yourself as you are and developing a new healthy relationship with food and exercise.

Eliza9917 Mon 01-Apr-19 15:57:19

You need to change your mindset from 'thin' or 'fat' to 'healthy choices for life'. You can do 80/20 then and not feel like you've failed if you have 1 meal out.

gwenneh Mon 01-Apr-19 16:01:30

I found Geneen Roth's "Women Food and God" very helpful: geneenroth.com/books/

No religion required, despite the title, which did initially put me off a bit.

It's a short read and I think it could be what you're looking for in terms of unpacking why we make the choices we make around food.

It was helpful for me, at any rate.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »