Talk

Advanced search

To ask for your recipe ideas please?

(7 Posts)
Lifeonmars77 Mon 01-Apr-19 10:38:31

I have a load of stuff in my fridge/cupboard that needs to be cooked or thrown out in the next couple of days. I would normally have used it all by now but we've all been ill over the last week and it just didn't get done.

I HATE wasting food. Could I ask for your ideas/opinions please on what I could create from the following to batch cook/freeze?

Bag of peppers
1 x Butternut squash
Big box of mushrooms
Bag of baby spinach
Onions
Tomatoes
Potatoes

Also have the usual cupboard staples of rice, pasta, lentils, tinned toms, kidney beans etc. Plus a bit of meat in the freezer - chicken breasts, mince, gammon.

My only idea so far is pasta sauce and veg curry.

trebless Mon 01-Apr-19 10:41:33

Risotto?

Serialweightwatcher Mon 01-Apr-19 10:42:17

I'd make soup from the butternut squash and onion, and if you get some eggs and a bit of cheese you could make frittata from the rest

trebless Mon 01-Apr-19 10:44:14

Sorry posted too soon, defo make a homemade soup out of the butternut squash too

Lifeonmars77 Mon 01-Apr-19 11:10:15

Ooh yes frittata... I've got loads of eggs. And I didn't even think of soup!

BarbaraofSevillle Mon 01-Apr-19 11:14:36

You can chop the peppers, freeze them and use them straight from the freezer in chilli later on. Same for the onions.

If you put the spinach in the freezer, you can just crumble it into curry or whatever, when you're ready to use it. Or make a saag sauce which can be used later on to make saag paneer or chicken saag.

Potatoes can go in a Spanish omelette or mash and serve with the meat.

UnPocoLoco2 Mon 01-Apr-19 11:49:54

Butternut squash risotto in the slow cooker is great

Mushroom risotto( old faithful way) or soup is quite nice

Use the spinach for pasta bake or Dahl

Use the potatoes for mashing, frittata, soup or roasting

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »