Talk

Advanced search

Letting agency gave notice on utilities

(21 Posts)
Greenkit Mon 01-Apr-19 10:16:34

That really AIBU to be annoyed that my letting agency have given notice on my utilities.

I am due to leave my rented property at the end of April, contract ends I have given notice.

AIBU!

Hellmistress Mon 01-Apr-19 10:42:07

It's to ensure that you receive and pay for your final bills. Nothing sinister, they just don't want to have to deal with the utilities companies after you've gone. Please remember to take photos of your final readings to ensure you don't get charged for any usage after the end of your tenancy.

n.b. They are not "your" lettings agent, they are the landlord's, in whose interests they are always supposed to act. Unless it conflicts with their own interests, of course, then the landlord is on their own....

EscapeAnywhere Mon 01-Apr-19 10:46:34

That's normal practice, as the LL (or next tenant) shouldn't be liable for your utility bills up to and including your moving out date.

It keeps everything clear for hand-overs when the dates all match up!

Kennehora Mon 01-Apr-19 10:48:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GemmeFatale Mon 01-Apr-19 10:50:28

Are you annoyed because you were trying to pull a fast one and leave the landlord with your last bill? Or are you intending to stay put and force the landlord to use the court process to evict you?

I can’t imagine any other reason to be upset about this.

LiveFatsDieYoGnu Mon 01-Apr-19 11:24:13

In 11 years of renting I never came across this. It would annoy me because it is infantilising and suggests tenants aren’t capable of managing their own affairs. The contract is in my name, so it’s my business to start and end it. Also, some accounts e.g. internet provider are portable, so I would want to manage that to ensure I could move the account to my new address rather than close and re-open.

GarthFunkel Mon 01-Apr-19 11:35:25

Weren't the bills/accounts in your name? How did they do it?

Greenkit Mon 01-Apr-19 11:37:54

LiveFatsDieYoGnu exactly this....

I have potentially incurred extra charges as they have told them i wish to cancel, not move them with me.

kaytee87 Mon 01-Apr-19 11:37:54

I'm surprised they'd be able to do this if the accounts are in your name.

kaytee87 Mon 01-Apr-19 11:38:56

Someone other than you wouldn't be able to cancel your account unless you've given them permission to act on your behalf.

Kazar99 Mon 01-Apr-19 11:41:04

If the accounts are all set up by you and in your name, how did they manage to give notice to the utility companies? Is that not a breach of the data protection act somewhere - sounds like the utility companies haven't got very good security process to check identities plus for the letting agents to be able to phone up they must have had knowledge of the providers and account details. Even if you had given the letting agents those details, presumably you didn't give the letting agents permission to take action on the accounts on your behalf.

RebootYourEngine Mon 01-Apr-19 11:43:27

How do they know who you pay your Utilities to?

Dungeondragon15 Mon 01-Apr-19 11:46:41

They can probably tell the utility companies that they will be taking over the accounts from the day you move out but I don't see how they can have closed them yet as you are still there and they are in your name. Have you contacted the broadband provider to move your account?

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Mon 01-Apr-19 11:48:17

Why does your Landlord have access to your account information and who your providers are?

When I rented my LL wouldn't have had a clue who we were getting to provide our utilities.

Dungeondragon15 Mon 01-Apr-19 11:49:42

Are you annoyed because you were trying to pull a fast one and leave the landlord with your last bill?

Why would the landlord be responsible for the bill if it is in OP's name? The debt is hers as long as it's in her name.

Dungeondragon15 Mon 01-Apr-19 11:51:09

I have potentially incurred extra charges as they have told them i wish to cancel, not move them with me.

Just contact them and tell them you don't want the account to be closed as you want to move it to the new address. They aren't likely to turn down business!

Greenkit Mon 01-Apr-19 12:09:58

They mush have informed a new supplier that as of 29 April (blaa) will be taking over.

So my utility company have contacted me to say, sorry your leaving us etc

TulipsTwoLips Mon 01-Apr-19 12:13:21

Write back and say thanks but I’m not leaving you then!

GemmeFatale Mon 01-Apr-19 13:03:56

Dungeon, as a landlord I’ve had tenants tell the utilities company I’ll be taking on the bills from the day they gave notice. Every time that’s happened I’ve had to produce our correspondence to get the last bill sent back to the tenant. It’s fixable but a pain so if I was doing it now yes I’d contact the utility company and let them know when I was taking the property back, with a copy of the correspondence to save myself some hassle.

HauntedPencil Mon 01-Apr-19 14:44:29

I've never had this, you can't give final readings until your last day so what's the point?

I've had to evidence my bills are paid before return of bond though.

kaytee87 Mon 01-Apr-19 14:54:43

*They mush have informed a new supplier that as of 29 April (blaa) will be taking over.

So my utility company have contacted me to say, sorry your leaving us etc*

So they haven't closed your account then? All they've done is phone the supplier they want to use and informed them they're taking over the address from that date.
The supplier has then sent you a letter, you'll still need to give final readings and move/close your account.

When I moved into an address my brother had been living at years ago. I phoned up the supplier saying I was moving in on x date. They then sent a letter 'sorry you're leaving us' to my brother. I hadn't mentioned his name or closing his account.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »