Talk

Advanced search

Toddler and ear infections

(2 Posts)
GreasyHairDoNotCare Mon 01-Apr-19 08:51:57

Hi all,

Ds is almost 20 months and has had 6 ear infections since the end of October.

Every time the infection has responded to antibiotics but now after the course has finished, a couple of days later a new infection occurs again. I am completely at a loss of what to do, he's not even two yet and about 1/4 of his life has been spent with an ear infection.

The GP has made an ENT referral but the first appointment isn't for 6 weeks and since the referral was made, Ds has had two infections.

It seems that the problems with his ear are also affecting his speech, which is very limited. He has a fantastic understanding but can't verbalise much at all.

I've phoned the referral service and there's nothing that they can do. I spoke to the GP receptionist just now and, whilst sympathetic, there's nothing the GP can really do now. I was quite insistent and so she has made a not for him to call me today.

An advice on what I can do now? AUBI to ask the GP to help me more? Neither me or Ds are getting any sleep and the poor little thing is in so much pain bless him.

MinervaVause Mon 01-Apr-19 09:27:40

It’s shit, I know (I’ve been there, still am and ds is 8) but apart from pain relief and antibiotics, there really isn’t anything else the GP can do now. He’s made the referral which is good but waiting lists are long.

Has your ds been prescribed ear drops? We get antibiotic ear drops for my ds which do help a lot. He’s had 2 lots of grommets and currently waiting for his 3rd set. He has a cholesteatoma which makes things worse. He finds a warm wheat bag resting against his ear really helps as well as alternating paracetamol and ibuprofen when the pain is really bad.

Ask the referral service if you can be put on a cancellation list, hopefully you’ll get an appointment quicker that way.

Good Luck and hope your ds feels better soon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: