Talk

Advanced search

To ask if there any Vietnamese communities in London or online, for my neighbour

(17 Posts)
Soopermum1 Mon 01-Apr-19 08:41:24

Apologies, posting for traffic and a quick response.

My neighbour is Vietnamese. She has a small child and an abusive (English ) husband.

Her English isn't great and that is putting her at a terrible disadvantage. She doesn't seem to have anyone who can speak her language and help her. Her husband is a violent alcoholic but when they had a fight, the police took her away, not him, and left the child with him while she spent a night in the cells.

She's currently in temporary bed and breakfast accommodation (social services involved) but has limited funds and may not be elligable for benefits. I think there's a fair chance she'll go back to him and if she does, I hope she can build up support.

Can anyone help?

MontStMichel Mon 01-Apr-19 11:10:11

All I can say is that on the Kingsland Rd, Shoreditch there are quite a few Vietnamese restaurants!

MontStMichel Mon 01-Apr-19 11:12:10

www.standard.co.uk/go/london/restaurants/shoreditch-pho-mile-what-are-the-best-restaurants-in-the-london-hotspot-a3879976.html?amp

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Mon 01-Apr-19 11:14:44

www.vietnamesecommunity.org.uk

I would also scour fb for groups

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Mon 01-Apr-19 11:18:36

Problem is that lots of online forums will be better found if you know some Vietnamese. These forums are usually in native language rather than in English.

Weezol Mon 01-Apr-19 11:23:20

Contact the Southall Black Sisters. They are an organisation for black and minority ethnic women - if they can't help they're likely to know who can.

southallblacksisters.org.uk/

C25kTrier Mon 01-Apr-19 12:28:51

There will be a fair few around but I’m curious as to why a woman, a victim of domestic abuse, was removed from the home and placed in the cells overnight? I thought there had been a big drive in increased awareness of DV/DA and support for victims from the police, in recent years?

I’m not saying your friend is at fault, btw. I’m just saddened by it, I suppose.

Its good news that she’s away from him (for now). I would have thought SS would be able to put her in contact with local(ish) links to her home culture?

C25kTrier Mon 01-Apr-19 12:30:19

www.refuge.org.uk/our-work/our-services/culturally-specific-services/

This page from Refuge specifically mentions Vietnamese specific support services in London.

C25kTrier Mon 01-Apr-19 12:33:03

It seems to be talking about modern slavery but Refuge help all kinds of people in crisis and would be able to support your friend too.

What about the local library? They might know of groups or give ideas of where to look?

MissB83 Mon 01-Apr-19 12:37:35

There is a large Vietnamese community in Deptford, South East London, lots of shops and restaurants. Not sure if it would be the best place to seek support in a serious situation like this one though.

levanti Mon 01-Apr-19 12:37:40

Sorry, I'm totally clueless and no help. Just want to say you are bloody lovely for caring!

Soopermum1 Mon 01-Apr-19 12:37:48

Thanks. I've sent the link for Southall Black Sisters to my childminder who is in direct contact with my neighbour. I think social services may direct her there as well.

I was hoping there might be a real life or online community she can link into. There are a couple of Vietnamese people in our area but I don't think they want to get involved.

Soopermum1 Mon 01-Apr-19 12:42:53

I think the thing with the police was that she wasn't in a position to state her case. She bit him because he was holding her wrists and wouldn't let go. He then gave her a bloody nose 😞

He showed the bite mark to the police but she has always been reluctant to get him into trouble and with the language barrier couldn't fully explain what happened, and they cleaned up her nose and their clothes before the police arrived.

I suspect her immigration status and access to money and her child is all in his hands.

Soopermum1 Mon 01-Apr-19 12:46:46

I've also forwarded the Vietnamese Community link and had sent through the Refuge link before. Thanks for all your help. If there are any Vietnamese speakers on Mumsnet who want to reach out, please PM me

C25kTrier Mon 01-Apr-19 12:56:54

What a kind friend you are sooper. I hope your neighbour gets the support she needs to escape and live a happy life with her child.

beanaseireann Mon 01-Apr-19 16:14:20

This is why I think the founders of Mumsnet, Justine and Carrie deserve great recognition.
They enable women to help other women.
You are kind OP thanks

runoutofnamechanges Mon 01-Apr-19 16:21:34

There is a Vietnamese Community Centre in Hackney:

www.centre151.com/

Not sure that they have any services that are directly relevant but they would probably know where to find them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »