Talk

Advanced search

to ask for your suggestions?

(11 Posts)
itslikeblackpoolilluminations Sun 31-Mar-19 20:14:41

DSIL is pregnant and the baby shower is in around a month, was thinking of getting her a sort of hamper with some things that might be useful for her/my new baby nephew.
I was thinking of maybe a few clothes in different sizes and a couple of other things, but I'm so stuck- never had a kid myself and I know next to nothing about babies!
Please help me out and give me some suggestions, I want to be the favourite aunty! grin

ginyogarepeat Sun 31-Mar-19 20:32:22

Muslins, bibs and babygros are needed in large quantities for the first few months! TK Maxx often has a decent selection.

itslikeblackpoolilluminations Sun 31-Mar-19 20:34:43

That's fab, I'll add them all to the list. Thanks so much!

Girlicorne Sun 31-Mar-19 20:36:35

you can never have too many muslins!

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sun 31-Mar-19 20:43:06

One of those boomerang shaped feeding/comfort pillows. My darling SIL gave me one and, though I'd never even considered one, it was the best thing I was given by a country mile...

MrsDrudge Sun 31-Mar-19 20:46:02

Maybe something indulgent for the Mum - something like nice toiletries, face cream, manicure things, posh shampoo and conditioner?

itslikeblackpoolilluminations Sun 31-Mar-19 21:03:22

Oooh I'll look into those pillows I've never heard of them before, but she is keen on breastfeeding so might like one!
She also takes great pride in her hair so that's a great idea as well.

problembottom Sun 31-Mar-19 21:05:11

I had my baby shower in October and my baby arrived in December. The most useful present I was given was a car seat blanket from Storkk, she sleeps like a dream in it. I’ve also found you can’t have enough muslins (you can get some lovely patterned ones), packs of shortsleeved bodysuits (with an envelope neck) and nice sleepsuits (which button or zip all the way down). Size wise I was gifted a variety of stuff from newborn to 6-9 months, all very welcome! Not so useful were bibs (I’m breastfeeding and haven’t used any), proper clothes (like dresses and boots) and hats (I got so many but she hates them and my NCT friends say their babies do too). I also loved a pressie from one of my SILs - a mug saying I’m a marvellous mum.

katmarie Sun 31-Mar-19 21:06:03

Really good hand cream for mum, she will wash her hands lots and lots in the weeks after baby is born. Also snacks, a good quality water bottle which keeps drinks cold, or a travel mug with a safe lid to keep hot drinks hot and avoid spills. An extra long charging cable for her phone.

For baby, my suggestions are muslins, simple baby gros and vests, a small baby safe stuffed toy, a really soft blanket or a towel with a hood, and maybe a stock of health things like calpol, teething gel, a digital ear thermometer (we use ours so much), baby nail clippers and files. All things we've used loads in the last 14 months since DS was born.

itslikeblackpoolilluminations Sun 31-Mar-19 21:33:19

I've definitely noted lots of muslins! grin also didn't think of more practical things like teething gel so thanks for that, definitely my childlessness showing!

justchecking1 Sun 31-Mar-19 22:25:23

You could get Muslins and some fabric dye and then colour/tie dye them. White muslins are really boring but the ready coloured ones are £££. This way they'll be unique and personal to her

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »