Talk

Advanced search

6 million and still rising . . . Time to revoke?

(344 Posts)
longwayoff Sun 31-Mar-19 14:11:17

O please lets do that. Revoke, rethink and re- refer.

Rufusthebewilderedreindeer Tue 02-Apr-19 22:00:26

But let’s see how far you get in the short term without retail staff, lorry drivers, farm workers or the other thickos

I beg your fucking pardon?

I understand that some people who voted leave do this self deprecating ' gosh im only a leaver' shit

But dont be dragging me in that with you thank you very much

RecallRecall Tue 02-Apr-19 21:55:36

you are a rabid No Dealer, your best bet is to understand that battle has been lost, limp off and lick your wounds, and prepare a better, more plausible campaign next time; one that convinces a Supermajority of a motivated, educated electorate.

Actually a suitable protest from the “rabid” and uneducated might be to sack off work for a day. I’m sure being a designer or acedemic or some other creative is fabulous.

But let’s see how far you get in the short term without retail staff, lorry drivers, farm workers or the other thickos.

So bloody rude.

DontMakeMeShushYou Tue 02-Apr-19 21:41:57

Just step back and see the hill you are wishing to die on, an online petition is the default description of slaktavism, its already shown how open to be abuse it is but ~1/3rd of the the actual vote should be somehow a marker and should base political opinions on.

Yeah, you haven't understood a word I've said, have you.

Justanotherlurker Tue 02-Apr-19 21:24:15

As I said, it doesn't need to reach 17.5 million to mean anything because it is an online petition and not a national vote and we don't govern by petitions. 6 million is already meaningful because it is a petition.

Just step back and see the hill you are wishing to die on, an online petition is the default description of slaktavism, its already shown how open to be abuse it is but ~1/3rd of the the actual vote should be somehow a marker and should base political opinions on.

It would be comical if I knew you wasn't trying to be serious.

DontMakeMeShushYou Tue 02-Apr-19 17:08:20

What is politically illiterate is pretending we should govern by populists slacktivism that is an online petition

Has anyone actually said that?

Yes the poster I was highlighting with the following comment.

No @Justanotherlurker, I said the complete opposite. That people on here are equating an online petition with a national vote and that makes them politically illiterate. As I said, it doesn't need to reach 17.5 million to mean anything because it is an online petition and not a national vote and we don't govern by petitions. 6 million is already meaningful because it is a petition. Posters earlier in the thread have said the government shouldn't revoke Article 50 on the basis of a petition. Why would anyone say that if they understood the difference between a petition and a vote?

longwayoff Mon 01-Apr-19 23:05:45

Lurker you have your own view of the world. It's quite odd.

Rufusthebewilderedreindeer Mon 01-Apr-19 22:53:43

What windows just said

Its a technique often seen on the feminism chat board

Windowsareforcheaters Mon 01-Apr-19 22:50:44

Oh I agree, but its not me dying on a hill of an online petition dictating government policy

As I have said, and other posters have said time and again the petition should NOT dictate or prescribe government policy.

Why do you keep on repeating something that no one has said. You argue against a point no one is making. The parrot is dead, deceased, gone - no one has said the petition should equate to government policy!

My lack of ironic awareness is a constant theme of your while you keep on banging on about a point no one has made.

StoneofDestiny Mon 01-Apr-19 22:33:05

We've given a bunch of goons the responsibility for our countrys' future. They get to chop and change what they are voting for - not in the public interest.
The Tories have been bargaining the PM's time of departure in exchange for the direction of their votes, having already 'bought off' the DUP to keep themselves in power (and how that has backfired on them!).
Unprincipled, self interested parasites.
And the super goons that started all of this - strangely silent.

MaudBaileysGreenTurban Mon 01-Apr-19 22:25:46

People should just suck it up and deal with what we have

What exactly does that mean? What do we 'have'? What is there to 'suck up'? It's an absolute shambles, and in complete and utter deadlock, or hadn't you noticed?

Justanotherlurker Mon 01-Apr-19 22:25:02

All motions defeated again. No progress. Bloody banana republic, we'll have a coup eventually at this rate and Boris, Mogg n Gove wearing scrambled egg caps. Shudder.

If in doubt play it along party political lines... It shows the team sport some are playing, I bet you are anti neolib and do mental hoops when the same businesses, economists are making warnings of GDP etc warnings as being a right wing conspiracy.

The future banana republic is not from the right, its labour tabling the motion of state "authorised press" under the same premise as trump...

tinatsarina Mon 01-Apr-19 22:21:53

No of course we don't revoke it just because some people are outraged they didn't get what they want. People should just suck it up and deal with what we have.

longwayoff Mon 01-Apr-19 22:11:24

All motions defeated again. No progress. Bloody banana republic, we'll have a coup eventually at this rate and Boris, Mogg n Gove wearing scrambled egg caps. Shudder.

RickOShay Mon 01-Apr-19 22:04:51

The referendum was phony, illegal even, and yet here we are staring down the barrel.

Rufusthebewilderedreindeer Mon 01-Apr-19 21:53:18

Hear hear just

Justanotherlurker Mon 01-Apr-19 21:51:42

Logic would suggest that they have changed their minds

This higlights the shit show we are in..

People are advocating fucking likes as politically representative, these same people will report to twatter/facebook ect as having a differing political standpoint.

Rufusthebewilderedreindeer Mon 01-Apr-19 21:45:04

There's no need to sign your posts buddy.

That was really quick ...impressive

Justanotherlurker Mon 01-Apr-19 21:44:49

As far as I can see no one has said we should base decisions on a petition. The petition should certainly play into government decision making and influence, if not determine, how people vote.

So you have blatantly ignored the theme of the thread and also the highlighted comment I was replying to..

Terms like 'slacktivism' really piss me off.

Tough, its a widely accepted phenomenon

Sneering at people for expressing opinions and saying what they think.

The non existence irony is coming through..

Many leave voters say they felt voice less and disenfranchised. Perhaps these people were dismissed and belittled for expressing their opinions by cynics.

Maybe they was influanced by online petitions, maybe it has torn devisions across political lines, maybe we could argue why they are all right wing and brand 65r% labour constituents as being racist..

We need to encourage more people to get involved, discuss and debate not dismiss them and make vaguely insulting comments like

Oh I agree, but its not me dying on a hill of an online petition dictating government policy.

Rufusthebewilderedreindeer Mon 01-Apr-19 21:40:48

Logic would suggest that they have changed their minds

Logic would suggests that they haven't signed the petition, it would be very silly to read anything further into it

Redskyandrainbows67 Mon 01-Apr-19 21:25:00

Ten times more people have voted to revoke than leave with no deal on the petitions site

Windowsareforcheaters Mon 01-Apr-19 21:21:49

an online petition that is open to abuse is somehow not a populist form of slacktivism and we should base our governmental leadership based on it

As far as I can see no one has said we should base decisions on a petition. The petition should certainly play into government decision making and influence, if not determine, how people vote.

Terms like 'slacktivism' really piss me off. Sneering at people for expressing opinions and saying what they think. Many leave voters say they felt voice less and disenfranchised. Perhaps these people were dismissed and belittled for expressing their opinions by cynics.

We need to encourage more people to get involved, discuss and debate not dismiss them and make vaguely insulting comments like: "*I would argue the toss if you had any sense of irony, but I suspect you are trying to be serious so it's a lost cause*" without actually addressing the issue.

Justanotherlurker Mon 01-Apr-19 21:10:24

Yes the poster I was highlighting with the following comment.

People on here are equating an online petition with a national referendum, spouting such gubbins as it needing to reach 17.5 million signatures to mean anything

Or have lots and lots of posters explained, slowly and in detail that the petition is a way of influencing the government and demonstrating strength of public feeling.

So lots have posters have slowly jumped through hoops to slowly explain how an online petition that is open to abuse is somehow not a populist form of slacktivism and we should base our governmental leadership based on it, whilst also holding the narrative of other forces playing dirty tricks online.

I would argue the toss if you had any sense of irony, but I suspect you are trying to be serious so it's a lost cause.

Windowsareforcheaters Mon 01-Apr-19 20:52:22

What is politically illiterate is pretending we should govern by populists slacktivism that is an online petition

Or have lots and lots of posters explained, slowly and in detail that the petition is a way of influencing the government and demonstrating strength of public feeling. Several posters have explicitly said a petition should in no way be treated as a referendum.

The petition is a way ordinary people can engage with the political process.

We could sling snarky, cynical comments around or we could engage with the process, march, send letters, debate and yes, sign petitions.

This is not governance though. Obviously.

Justanotherlurker Mon 01-Apr-19 20:46:47

Honestly, if you feel the need to write that, you are the politically illiterate.

What is politically illiterate is pretending we should govern by populists slacktivism that is an online petition with known issues of being able to gain the system, whilst unironically saying the other side had outside intereference and was influenced by paid social media ads.

It higlights the shit show it is, and no side is coming up smelling or roses.

longwayoff Mon 01-Apr-19 19:03:30

Being debated

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »