Talk

Advanced search

6 million and still rising . . . Time to revoke?

(344 Posts)
longwayoff Sun 31-Mar-19 14:11:17

O please lets do that. Revoke, rethink and re- refer.

Hazlenutpie Sun 31-Mar-19 14:55:03

and have spent two years trying to make it happen

That's hilarious, quite honestly. May's level of ineptitude is staggering.

QueenOfIce Sun 31-Mar-19 14:56:40

No, it's still short of 11 plus million to even out those who voted leave. Won't happen.

borntobequiet Sun 31-Mar-19 15:02:48

Over ten thousand people have signed it since this morning. I suspect at least some are Leave voters who have realised they were sold a pack of lies by venal and self-interested politicians, media barons and others, possibly aided and abetted by Mr Putin and his army of bots.

twofingerstoEverything Sun 31-Mar-19 15:04:08

We've had a referendum and the majority vote was to leave. We should leave, otherwise the principles of democracy will not be upheld.
FGS. Vote Leave are guilty of electoral fraud. You call that 'democracy'? What is wrong with people?
This is because remainers have been in charge of leaving, which is lunacy
Anyone who thinks TM is a remainer needs their bumps read. A remainer wouldn't have thrown down a load of red lines making negotiations almost impossible. Brexit Secretary David Davis - not a remainer. Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab - not a remainer. Brexit Secretary Stephen Barclay - not a remainer.
So please explain how 'remainers have been in charge' of leaving, or do you just swallow any old guff that you read online/in pro-Brexit rags?

twofingerstoEverything Sun 31-Mar-19 15:09:40

Over ten thousand people have signed it since this morning. I suspect at least some are Leave voters who have realised they were sold a pack of lies by venal and self-interested politicians, media barons and others, possibly aided and abetted by Mr Putin and his army of bots.
I agree. Some will have read the reports about Vote Leave's illegal activities and seen the display of behaviour at the Brexit rally and had second thoughts. There's also been a push to make people who aren't on social media aware of the petition, eg by making it shareable on WhatsApp, so that may be having an impact too.

MaudBaileysGreenTurban Sun 31-Mar-19 15:10:31

Of course we should revoke. It's the only sensible decision now.

Brexit is and always was an undeliverable fantasy, tainted by lies and corruption, and any attempt to leave now will cause significant harm to the UK.

'By the will of the people' needs to be superceded by 'for the good of the people'. The alternatives are just disasters-in-waiting for anyone who isn't a multi-millionaire.

Leavers know this. Most of them are just doubling-down in panic, I think. I can't blame them tbh.

maddiemookins16mum Sun 31-Mar-19 15:10:40

I voted remain. More people voted leave.
We should leave.
If this all gets changed now it surely makes a mockery of the ‘winning vote’.

nometal Sun 31-Mar-19 15:13:36

17 MILLION + voted LEAVE

17 million eligible yo vote voted leave.

That didn't include dogs, cats, children or more than one vote for anyone with multiple email addresses.

Cornettoninja Sun 31-Mar-19 15:13:37

May's level of ineptitude is staggering

Undeniably. But then I remember the deafening silence from the pro-brexit side when Cameron scarpered. Not exactly banging down the doors of number 10 trying to sort it all out now are they? What exactly does that communicate to the country I wonder...

FinallyHere Sun 31-Mar-19 15:24:54

#Team Revoke

17m voted to leave following following a campaign ...

"The official Vote Leave campaign, led by Boris Johnson during the 2016 EU referendum, has dropped its appeal against a £61,000 fine for breaking the law on electoral spending."

MrsChollySawcutt Sun 31-Mar-19 15:29:20

There is no other sensible option than to revoke.

This country has squandered millions trying to thrash out a deal that leaves us worse off and alienating businesses that provide thousands of jobs.

David Lanny had it spot on:

"Most MPs must now recognise in private but do not say it in public.
Brexit is a con, a trick, a swindle, a fraud. A deception that will hurt most of those people it promised to help.

A dangerous fantasy which will make every problem it claims to solve worse. A campaign won on false promises and lies."

ElizabethMountbatten Sun 31-Mar-19 15:31:40

When another 10,129,457 people sign it, it will match the number of people who voted to remain. When a further 1,269,501 sign it after that, you'll have the number of people who voted to leave. Get anything above that and it might be worth debating as the mood could be considered to have shifted demonstrably.

So, only another 11,398,958 plus needed extras to constitute a potential majority.....

MrsChollySawcutt Sun 31-Mar-19 15:31:45

Lammy not Lanny - bloody autocorrect!

user1511042793 Sun 31-Mar-19 15:36:34

The vote was leave and so we must. It’s called democracy. Maybe next time all those who couldn’t be bothered to vote because they thought it would never happen will get off their bottoms and vote.

Troels Sun 31-Mar-19 15:38:31

Is this about the poll? If so then the numbers aren't correct. From what I'd been reading, there are names from people all over the world on it, and people who have voted multiple times. There was a report that it was signed at as Jacob Rees Mogg a few humdred times too.
And no we already voted to leave so just get it done already I'm sick of it all.

Tinkety Sun 31-Mar-19 15:38:41

if 6million is nothing how much less than nothing is your majority of 1.5 million? Will of the people!

That’s a difference of 1.5 million individual, eligible voters though.

The petition numbers contain people signing several times with different email addresses & illegible voters such has 10 year old kids.

twofingerstoEverything Sun 31-Mar-19 15:39:35

(May be triggering for leave voters...) grin grin grin

BelleSausage Sun 31-Mar-19 15:40:40

@Tinkety

That’s a serious allegation. Do you have any evidence for it?

MissWimpyDimple Sun 31-Mar-19 15:40:42

My 12 yo signed and a lot of the school mates did too.

My colleagues from overseas signed.

So with that in mind 6million isn't that much.

mothertruck3r Sun 31-Mar-19 15:41:53

No.

If the referendum was only "advisory" and "not binding" as is endlessly being shouted, then an online petition with likely many fake signatures from Russia and other dodgy places should have even less weight!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 31-Mar-19 15:42:18

No.

It only counts if signatories are eligible to vote. Not u18’s and all the mickey mouses.

BertrandRussell Sun 31-Mar-19 15:44:31

The body that oversees the online petition has confirmed that the figure is legitimate. But it’s not 17.5 mill is it?

Sybelline Sun 31-Mar-19 15:44:45

Is this about the poll? If so then the numbers aren't correct. From what I'd been reading, there are names from people all over the world on it, and people who have voted multiple times.

The Petitions Committee have refuted this.

Sorry.

22Giraffes Sun 31-Mar-19 15:47:10

No

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 31-Mar-19 15:47:17

So have the Petitions Committee confirmed it’s only people of voting age 18 and over?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »