Talk

Advanced search

6 million and still rising . . . Time to revoke?

(344 Posts)
longwayoff Sun 31-Mar-19 14:11:17

O please lets do that. Revoke, rethink and re- refer.

SilverySurfer Sun 31-Mar-19 14:12:09

NO

QueenOfTheCroneAge Sun 31-Mar-19 14:14:19

Yes

Busholive Sun 31-Mar-19 14:16:39

YES grin

Slazengerbag Sun 31-Mar-19 14:16:49

I’m a firm remainer. But 6 million is nothing. The petition has been everywhere this week on social media. I’ve had countless emails from friends about it.

Not even half of the remainers have signed it so no I don’t think we should.

frasersmummy Sun 31-Mar-19 14:20:27

No.. It comes nowhere near close to original either leave or remain votes

jane1956 Sun 31-Mar-19 14:21:03

17 MILLION + voted LEAVE

hidinginthenightgarden Sun 31-Mar-19 14:22:34

Not until it reaches above 17.5 million.

Miljah Sun 31-Mar-19 14:25:15

Rather amusingly, a columnist in today's Sun thinks that, as No Deal is off the table, we should revoke A50! The Sun!

CatGoals Sun 31-Mar-19 14:25:48

Nope

Hazlenutpie Sun 31-Mar-19 14:27:51

How many people are eligible to vote?

Chloemol Sun 31-Mar-19 14:28:48

Still not the original 17m though so no

LordNibbler Sun 31-Mar-19 14:30:06

No

Miljah Sun 31-Mar-19 14:30:59

Admittedly, also in The Sun is anger directed at the 'purist' Brexiteers in the ERG who voted against May's Deal as it would deliver Brexit, but not the hard one they wanted, fearing that voting TM down over and over might lead to Revoking A50, so that reporter wants TM's soft Brexit.

It must be so hard if you're a Sun reader, deciphering exactly what today's Group Think is! 😂

Miljah Sun 31-Mar-19 14:31:26

So let's put it to the people then shall we?

PlumCakeChica Sun 31-Mar-19 14:31:52

Yes!

Vargas Sun 31-Mar-19 14:33:10

Yes!!

PinkiOcelot Sun 31-Mar-19 14:33:57

17.5 million!!

Hazlenutpie Sun 31-Mar-19 14:34:16

We've had a referendum and the majority vote was to leave. We should leave, otherwise the principles of democracy will not be upheld.

BanjoStarz Sun 31-Mar-19 14:38:56

We had a referendum in 1975 and majority vote was to stay...I guess if we keep getting to ask the same question then we might as well call it best of 3?

Goldmandra Sun 31-Mar-19 14:42:38

The principles of democracy are way mor complicated than that.

The situation we are now in bears no resemblance to what people thought they were voting for. This chaos couldn't have been predicted by the vast majority of voters.

Therefore we should revoke article 50 and only revisit the idea of a referendum if there is a choice between remaining and a deal that has already been negotiated. That way everyone will have a better understanding of what they are voting for.

RickOShay Sun 31-Mar-19 14:45:42

Yes
thought the referendum was advisory only?

longwayoff Sun 31-Mar-19 14:50:49

Slazenger if 6million is nothing how much less than nothing is your majority of 1.5 million? Will of the people!

Hazlenutpie Sun 31-Mar-19 14:51:09

The situation we are now in bears no resemblance to what people thought they were voting for. This chaos couldn't have been predicted by the vast majority of voters

This is because remainers have been in charge of leaving, which is lunacy. The fact that the idiots have made a mess of things, doesn't mean that we should now stay.

TheIncredibleBookEatingManchot Sun 31-Mar-19 14:53:27

I think it should be revoked.

The government listened to "the will of the people" and have spent two years trying to make it happen. No one can say the results of the referendum were ignored.

The government have a responsibility to act in the best interests of the UK. They should not keep plunging ahead with something that could cause long term damage, just because people who were lied to said they wanted it.

Hazlenutpie Sun 31-Mar-19 14:55:03

and have spent two years trying to make it happen

That's hilarious, quite honestly. May's level of ineptitude is staggering.

QueenOfIce Sun 31-Mar-19 14:56:40

No, it's still short of 11 plus million to even out those who voted leave. Won't happen.

borntobequiet Sun 31-Mar-19 15:02:48

Over ten thousand people have signed it since this morning. I suspect at least some are Leave voters who have realised they were sold a pack of lies by venal and self-interested politicians, media barons and others, possibly aided and abetted by Mr Putin and his army of bots.

twofingerstoEverything Sun 31-Mar-19 15:04:08

We've had a referendum and the majority vote was to leave. We should leave, otherwise the principles of democracy will not be upheld.
FGS. Vote Leave are guilty of electoral fraud. You call that 'democracy'? What is wrong with people?
This is because remainers have been in charge of leaving, which is lunacy
Anyone who thinks TM is a remainer needs their bumps read. A remainer wouldn't have thrown down a load of red lines making negotiations almost impossible. Brexit Secretary David Davis - not a remainer. Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab - not a remainer. Brexit Secretary Stephen Barclay - not a remainer.
So please explain how 'remainers have been in charge' of leaving, or do you just swallow any old guff that you read online/in pro-Brexit rags?

twofingerstoEverything Sun 31-Mar-19 15:09:40

Over ten thousand people have signed it since this morning. I suspect at least some are Leave voters who have realised they were sold a pack of lies by venal and self-interested politicians, media barons and others, possibly aided and abetted by Mr Putin and his army of bots.
I agree. Some will have read the reports about Vote Leave's illegal activities and seen the display of behaviour at the Brexit rally and had second thoughts. There's also been a push to make people who aren't on social media aware of the petition, eg by making it shareable on WhatsApp, so that may be having an impact too.

MaudBaileysGreenTurban Sun 31-Mar-19 15:10:31

Of course we should revoke. It's the only sensible decision now.

Brexit is and always was an undeliverable fantasy, tainted by lies and corruption, and any attempt to leave now will cause significant harm to the UK.

'By the will of the people' needs to be superceded by 'for the good of the people'. The alternatives are just disasters-in-waiting for anyone who isn't a multi-millionaire.

Leavers know this. Most of them are just doubling-down in panic, I think. I can't blame them tbh.

maddiemookins16mum Sun 31-Mar-19 15:10:40

I voted remain. More people voted leave.
We should leave.
If this all gets changed now it surely makes a mockery of the ‘winning vote’.

nometal Sun 31-Mar-19 15:13:36

17 MILLION + voted LEAVE

17 million eligible yo vote voted leave.

That didn't include dogs, cats, children or more than one vote for anyone with multiple email addresses.

Cornettoninja Sun 31-Mar-19 15:13:37

May's level of ineptitude is staggering

Undeniably. But then I remember the deafening silence from the pro-brexit side when Cameron scarpered. Not exactly banging down the doors of number 10 trying to sort it all out now are they? What exactly does that communicate to the country I wonder...

FinallyHere Sun 31-Mar-19 15:24:54

#Team Revoke

17m voted to leave following following a campaign ...

"The official Vote Leave campaign, led by Boris Johnson during the 2016 EU referendum, has dropped its appeal against a £61,000 fine for breaking the law on electoral spending."

MrsChollySawcutt Sun 31-Mar-19 15:29:20

There is no other sensible option than to revoke.

This country has squandered millions trying to thrash out a deal that leaves us worse off and alienating businesses that provide thousands of jobs.

David Lanny had it spot on:

"Most MPs must now recognise in private but do not say it in public.
Brexit is a con, a trick, a swindle, a fraud. A deception that will hurt most of those people it promised to help.

A dangerous fantasy which will make every problem it claims to solve worse. A campaign won on false promises and lies."

ElizabethMountbatten Sun 31-Mar-19 15:31:40

When another 10,129,457 people sign it, it will match the number of people who voted to remain. When a further 1,269,501 sign it after that, you'll have the number of people who voted to leave. Get anything above that and it might be worth debating as the mood could be considered to have shifted demonstrably.

So, only another 11,398,958 plus needed extras to constitute a potential majority.....

MrsChollySawcutt Sun 31-Mar-19 15:31:45

Lammy not Lanny - bloody autocorrect!

user1511042793 Sun 31-Mar-19 15:36:34

The vote was leave and so we must. It’s called democracy. Maybe next time all those who couldn’t be bothered to vote because they thought it would never happen will get off their bottoms and vote.

Troels Sun 31-Mar-19 15:38:31

Is this about the poll? If so then the numbers aren't correct. From what I'd been reading, there are names from people all over the world on it, and people who have voted multiple times. There was a report that it was signed at as Jacob Rees Mogg a few humdred times too.
And no we already voted to leave so just get it done already I'm sick of it all.

Tinkety Sun 31-Mar-19 15:38:41

if 6million is nothing how much less than nothing is your majority of 1.5 million? Will of the people!

That’s a difference of 1.5 million individual, eligible voters though.

The petition numbers contain people signing several times with different email addresses & illegible voters such has 10 year old kids.

twofingerstoEverything Sun 31-Mar-19 15:39:35

(May be triggering for leave voters...) grin grin grin

BelleSausage Sun 31-Mar-19 15:40:40

@Tinkety

That’s a serious allegation. Do you have any evidence for it?

MissWimpyDimple Sun 31-Mar-19 15:40:42

My 12 yo signed and a lot of the school mates did too.

My colleagues from overseas signed.

So with that in mind 6million isn't that much.

mothertruck3r Sun 31-Mar-19 15:41:53

No.

If the referendum was only "advisory" and "not binding" as is endlessly being shouted, then an online petition with likely many fake signatures from Russia and other dodgy places should have even less weight!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 31-Mar-19 15:42:18

No.

It only counts if signatories are eligible to vote. Not u18’s and all the mickey mouses.

BertrandRussell Sun 31-Mar-19 15:44:31

The body that oversees the online petition has confirmed that the figure is legitimate. But it’s not 17.5 mill is it?

Sybelline Sun 31-Mar-19 15:44:45

Is this about the poll? If so then the numbers aren't correct. From what I'd been reading, there are names from people all over the world on it, and people who have voted multiple times.

The Petitions Committee have refuted this.

Sorry.

22Giraffes Sun 31-Mar-19 15:47:10

No

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 31-Mar-19 15:47:17

So have the Petitions Committee confirmed it’s only people of voting age 18 and over?

Sybelline Sun 31-Mar-19 15:48:31

No. But all these people spreading misinformation about the petition have certainly confirmed that they're rattled by it.

TSSDNCOP Sun 31-Mar-19 15:48:50

As a test, I just signed it as my cat who I’m fairly certain isn’t a registered voter.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 31-Mar-19 15:50:39

Well it’s not misinformation is it? People are signing it with no right to vote. So the 6 million is not a true number. Bollocks in other words.

Sybelline Sun 31-Mar-19 15:52:00

<sigh>

Of course you could use your cat's name when signing the petition if you were so inclined. But each email address can only be used once. You may attempt to use it more than once but you will receive an email telling you that subsequent signings will not be counted.

Sybelline Sun 31-Mar-19 15:52:26

Rattled

Walkingdeadfangirl Sun 31-Mar-19 15:52:34

Yea as if that is only individual UK voters and its still 11 million short.

Time to end this madness and leave the EU already, just like we were promised.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Sun 31-Mar-19 15:52:43

It's a petition that can be signed by anyone, and more than once if you use slightly different details. It's hardly representative and the six million figure is worthless. I say this as a remainer. People didn't turn out to vote when they needed to. It looks increasingly likely we'll have a soft brexit anyway.

Alsohuman Sun 31-Mar-19 15:53:09

We just need to vote again. Properly this time now that we have all the facts and without a lying leave campaign. Just revoking would be undemocratic. Another vote would be the epitome of democracy.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 31-Mar-19 15:53:19

And the u18’s <sigh>

CardsforKittens Sun 31-Mar-19 15:53:20

Team Revoke here too.
Not because of the petition particularly, but because it was always a ridiculously bad idea to leave the EU. Also, I agree with everything David Lammy said.

Sybelline Sun 31-Mar-19 15:53:36

Oh yes, a very soft Brexit is incoming.

Horehound Sun 31-Mar-19 15:54:28

Its pointless pinning your hopes on thinking this petition will change anything. It's clear the government are hell bent on ignoring us.

Sybelline Sun 31-Mar-19 15:54:35

It's a petition that can be signed by anyone, and more than once if you use slightly different details.

A unique email address.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Sun 31-Mar-19 15:55:36

I just signed it twice, with two different emails and a slight misspelling of my name

TSSDNCOP Sun 31-Mar-19 15:56:21

It you can set up tonnes of unique email addresses. There are 7 in this household alone.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Sun 31-Mar-19 15:56:45

It takes about three minutes to get a Hotmail account, if I was so inclined I could vote a dozen or more times in an hour and still have a cup of tea. I'm pro remain but this petition is nonsense

Amanduh Sun 31-Mar-19 15:57:18

Whether you think it should be revoked or not. This ridiculous online petition that can be signed by anyone anywhere should and will not have any bearing on any decision, how could/would it?! The arguments for it make no sense, you could say the same about the people who voted to leave and they’re a damn sight more, and eligible. Utter waste of time and I am actually surprised so many remainers who call brexiteers ‘thick’ can’t understand that signing an online petition won’t change anything.

TSSDNCOP Sun 31-Mar-19 15:57:38

I write as someone that voted Remain. I’m just as appalled at the catastrophe that’s unfolding, but a petition is not a vote,

Sybelline Sun 31-Mar-19 15:58:41

So if you spent 24 hrs solely dedicated to drinking tea and setting up fake email addresses how many signatures do you think you could add to the petition?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 31-Mar-19 15:59:06

Hundreds

TSSDNCOP Sun 31-Mar-19 15:59:47

Collectively? About 6 million.

bunchoftulipsanddaffs Sun 31-Mar-19 16:00:24

You’ll have a point when it gets to 17m+, without cheating.

Sybelline Sun 31-Mar-19 16:00:46

Utter waste of time and I am actually surprised so many remainers who call brexiteers ‘thick’ can’t understand that signing an online petition won’t change anything.

All remainers have is marching and signing this online petition. With the Tory party waging an internal war and with Commons in crisis it's the only way of making our voice heard. I'm surprised people have such difficulty understanding this.

Sybelline Sun 31-Mar-19 16:01:59

That wasn't my question. How many signatures do you think a single person could add to this petition in one day?

bunchoftulipsanddaffs Sun 31-Mar-19 16:02:40

Sybelline

It’s not all they have at all. But they can’t think of anything else to do so they do the same things that didn’t work last time. More fool them.

DonaldTwain Sun 31-Mar-19 16:02:42

This is more complicated than a numbers game though surely (and even on that basis, the vote itself was finely balanced, with only a slender majority in one direction). This petition is just one manifestation of the fact that there is no consensus in the country as to what our post Brexit arrangements should be. The more serious manifestation of that is parliament’s paralysis. In those circumstances the status quo should be maintained until consensus emerges. Hence, the article 50 notification should be withdrawn.

bunchoftulipsanddaffs Sun 31-Mar-19 16:03:11

Sybelline With or without software?

🙄

TSSDNCOP Sun 31-Mar-19 16:03:36

A March isn’t a vote. A petition isn’t a vote. It’s a demonstration of dissatisfaction certainly, but not a vote.

I’m writing as someone who’s MP used a valuable question opportunity to challenge the Speaker on his Brexit position based on a sticker in his car. The car belongs to the speakers wife. Bercow fucking loved it. That is how fucking farcical this whole shit shower is.

Sybelline Sun 31-Mar-19 16:03:46

Then leave them to it, @bunchoftulipsanddaffs. If it's not going to effect you why would you be bothered?

bumbleymummy Sun 31-Mar-19 16:03:56

I don’t know why people are so worried about having another vote now that we know what the deal on offer is. If it is still the ‘will of the people’ then Leave will have the majority. If it is no longer the will of the people then we shouldn’t be leaving.

bunchoftulipsanddaffs Sun 31-Mar-19 16:04:19

If anything the lack of numbers shows on the online petition shows that people have decided that leaving is the best choice.

randomchap Sun 31-Mar-19 16:04:29

This is because remainers have been in charge of leaving, which is lunacy.

May ran unopposed to the leadership of the Tory Party.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Conservative_Party_(UK)_leadership_election

How exactly would a leaver be in charge if none of them tried to become PM? And what difference would you have expected with the negotiations? How do you want our future relationship with the EU to be? It's all well and good saying we must leave, but there are a multitude of ways this can be accomplished. Customs union, single market, freedom of movement can be kept even if we are out of the EU.

And how do you deal with the good Friday Agreement that stipulates that there can not be a hard border between ROI and Northern Ireland?

Alsohuman Sun 31-Mar-19 16:05:45

Your complete lack of logic is breathtaking @bunch.

Sybelline Sun 31-Mar-19 16:05:48

A March isn’t a vote. A petition isn’t a vote. It’s a demonstration of dissatisfaction certainly, but not a vote.

Indeed. And no one said it was a vote. But as another vote doesn't seem to be on the cards people are entitled to express their frustration in the only ways available to them.

Tinkety Sun 31-Mar-19 16:05:50

@BelleSausage there are people all over social media admitting to signing under multiple email addresses & letting their minor children sign including right here on MN, check out any of the petition threads on here or even the comment below yours for starters.

I also don’t know if you’re on Twitter but people were posting their post codes on there in a bid to get people who aren’t eligible to vote, to sign.

Sybelline Sun 31-Mar-19 16:06:26

If anything the lack of numbers shows on the online petition shows that people have decided that leaving is the best choice.

Bless.

bunchoftulipsanddaffs Sun 31-Mar-19 16:06:44

*Sybelline it does affect me. Personally. However I do not stop them, how could I, I just think their actions are ridiculously immature.

Sybelline Sun 31-Mar-19 16:07:25

If anything the lack of people who attended the march from Sunderland show that people think Remaining is the best choice?

Am I doing this right?

Alsohuman Sun 31-Mar-19 16:07:32

How does it affect you personally?

bunchoftulipsanddaffs Sun 31-Mar-19 16:07:32

You do yourselves no favours.

You lost, get over it.

Alsohuman Sun 31-Mar-19 16:07:56

Ffs same old refrain.

Sybelline Sun 31-Mar-19 16:08:28

You lost, get over it.

No. smile

bunchoftulipsanddaffs Sun 31-Mar-19 16:08:29

Who could get to Sunderland and who can get to an online petition... hmmm let me think... 😂

bunchoftulipsanddaffs Sun 31-Mar-19 16:09:27

I shall leave you to your illusions.

You’ll thank us one day 🙂

DonaldTwain Sun 31-Mar-19 16:10:01

Why should we get over it when our futures are jeopardised by people like you who think yah boo sucks to you passes for reasoned argument?
If some stupid fucker crashes the car, people are going to be annoyed.

Alsohuman Sun 31-Mar-19 16:10:03

Doubt it. Don’t let the door hit your arse.

Sybelline Sun 31-Mar-19 16:11:48

Don't worry, they'll be back to wail about betrayal in a few weeks time.

randomchap Sun 31-Mar-19 16:12:13

You’ll have a point when it gets to 17m+, without cheating.

Vote Leave didn't manage to get to 17m+ without cheating

Report from the Electoral Commission

DonaldTwain Sun 31-Mar-19 16:13:26

I really want to get behind this notion that voting leave doesn’t mean the voter is stupid.
But they make it so hard

Alsohuman Sun 31-Mar-19 16:13:59

Why isn’t there a like button here @randomchap?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »