Talk

Advanced search

To take a flight on my 40th bday?

(16 Posts)
Dimsumlosesum Sun 31-Mar-19 14:45:51

Obviously not viable for many, but is there not any way you can go on your own without the kids and partner?

keenwasalad Sun 31-Mar-19 14:45:25

Fly on your birthday, make a big deal out of it being your birthday at the check in desk in hope of an upgrade. If not, doesn't matter. But some champagne on the flight and enjoy!

MereDintofPandiculation Sun 31-Mar-19 14:43:53

I spent my 40th on a residential project management course. Another birthday was spent at Faro airport during an air traffic controllers strike. Fortunately our family has a well established tradition of "official" birthdays - my only stipulation is that it should be within two weeks of the real thing (oh, and that it should involve presents and a cake with candles). So fly on your 40th but declare in advance that your birthday will be celebrated two days later.

greenpop21 Sun 31-Mar-19 14:41:44

Travelling is the exciting bit, your 40th is a year of celebration,or can be, so don't pin it all on one day.

LL83 Sun 31-Mar-19 14:37:36

Fly on your birthday but celebrate your 40th the following day.

GreenHouseKeeping Sun 31-Mar-19 14:36:31

I flew on my 30th and got a lovely 'Happy Birthday' message over the tannoy and a copy of the flight map thingy signed by the pilots and cabin crew smile

DisplayPurposesOnly Sun 31-Mar-19 14:34:03

Cancel the nice family holiday and just spend the cash on myself and go away on a walking holiday on my own!

I did wonder why your 'doing something for myself" involved taking them with you grin

Happy birthday 🎂 (when it comes)

soulrunner Sun 31-Mar-19 14:27:48

You might get an upgrade and then your DP will just have to deal.

bodgerbadger Sun 31-Mar-19 14:18:00

Thanks for the perspective Mumsnetters!

DisplayPurposesOnly, I know! Lol. I tell myself that too. I am usually a very pragmatic person. I just have a vision of the kids squabbling and DP getting stressed because they're squabbling and me wanting to take a separate flight elsewhere and having a holiday on my own. That said, that is the other option. Cancel the nice family holiday and just spend the cash on myself and go away on a walking holiday on my own!

iklboo Sun 31-Mar-19 14:16:06

Go on your birthday- if your DH tells the flight attendants you might get a shout out grin

CurlsandCurves Sun 31-Mar-19 14:14:44

I flew on my 40th. The holiday we were going on was for my birthday, so I had a whole week to have fun, relax, celebrate.

For me the event itself was my birthday, never mind what day it was.

DisplayPurposesOnly Sun 31-Mar-19 14:11:17

Honestly - and in the nicest possible way! - time to grow up grin

Book the flight that makes best use of time and money. Even if that is your birthday. You can celebrate when you arrive. You've got 365 days of being 40.

Drum2018 Sun 31-Mar-19 14:10:55

Go on your birthday. You are overthinking it. I'd go as far as booking a seat for myself at the other end of the plane to Dh and kids wink

JonSnowsCloak Sun 31-Mar-19 14:09:39

I don't have any DC but I flew out early on the morning of my 30th and had a great time smile glass of champers in the airport and went straight out for a lovely lunch after we checked in. Get on tripadvisor and book somewhere for you all for lunch when you get there with the money you've saved from not spending an extra night in a hotel smile

GottenGottenGotten Sun 31-Mar-19 14:08:35

Flying on my birthday wouldn't bother me in the slightest - but it sounds like you would prefer to go the day before. If you can afford it, do that. You will only have one 40th birthday!

bodgerbadger Sun 31-Mar-19 14:03:53

I'm an adult and a birthday is just a birthday. My parents never celebrated by my birthday as a child - although my siblings had their birthdays celebrated - so any celebrations I've had in my adult years have been very low key, which is fine by me. Most years, I don't do anything to mark the day. It's just another day.

However, having had a really tough few years, this year I'd like to do something for ME. So I've decided to booking us a nice holiday and go above the usual budget for the occasion. I'll be going with DP and two young DC. If we fly the day before my birthday, the only flight time gets us there in the evening so we wouldn't reach the hotel until 9/10pm, with two tired kids in tow, and we'd lose the first day but still have to pay for the hotel which is pretty expensive. Does mean I can wake up on my birthday hopefully somewhere nice and have a relaxing day. If we fly the next day, on my 40th, the flight time is much better and we'd land after lunch and make the most of the rest of the day.

I am an adult and I know it's just a birthday and not a big deal. Head tells me to book the more reasonable flight to arrive after lunch. Downside is obviously I won't be relaxing as I'll be getting up early to get kids ready, travel to airport, keep kids entertained on a 4hour+ flight (DP is rubbish at this), sort out car hire on the other end, get to the hotel etc.

Tell me IABU to even consider that my 40th is relevant when choosing the most sensible day to fly on! Please be gentle smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »