Talk

Advanced search

Dave Allen

(109 Posts)
PositiveVibez Sat 30-Mar-19 23:52:36

Just watching an old show. Aibu to think that if he were alive today, he would have a bloody field day!

Charley50 Sun 31-Mar-19 08:36:25

The whole family watched him back in the day. Watched last night and he was still so funny and clever.
And yes sexy too.

Bluesheep8 Sun 31-Mar-19 09:00:12

Ah I remember watching him as a child. And my mum laughing til she cried. Happy memories!

GertrudeCB Sun 31-Mar-19 09:02:52

Amazing comedian and so hot when he was a young man shock

LittleCandle Sun 31-Mar-19 09:07:50

I loved the monologue when he was talking about a traffic jam and the things he did to entertain himself and the people round about, including pretending to pick his nose with his amputated finger! Hilarious! I generally don't find comedians funny, but he was priceless!

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Sun 31-Mar-19 09:10:36

he was great

YouTheCat Sun 31-Mar-19 09:11:09

Still funny all these years later. Not many stand the test of time.

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot Sun 31-Mar-19 09:12:26

Yes, how did he lose that finger???????

ForalltheSaints Sun 31-Mar-19 09:14:58

Personally I loved his non-religious jokes more. Sad he died young and was not able to see his child, born after his death.

The tribute should have been on BBC 1 instead of the disgrace of a programme Mrs Brown, an insult to comedy.

whiteroseredrose Sun 31-Mar-19 09:17:27

We watched it too. Still so funny after all these years.

haverhill Sun 31-Mar-19 09:18:22

I’ve met his son and grandson, lovely chaps both of them.
Dave Allen was a truly funny and intelligent man.

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Sun 31-Mar-19 09:18:41

I might seize the remote control later and watch the programme

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Sun 31-Mar-19 09:23:11

He was funny and risque

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Sun 31-Mar-19 09:24:23

Absolute genius

Marylou62 Sun 31-Mar-19 09:26:54

Is there an old show on TV? Would make my Mothers Day watching him again. Good memories of family gathered round the TV.

SerenDippitty Sun 31-Mar-19 09:28:19

Adored him. I remember his rant about the absurdity of giving someone a carriage clock when they retire, when they’ve spent their entire lives being ruled by the clock.

longwayoff Sun 31-Mar-19 09:31:29

In sorry to mention the great esteemed Dave Allen and the abysmal Mrs Brown In the same sentence but good god, it's absolutely awful. To say the least. Who watches it? Is the audience drunk? Surely, you'd have to be to endure it.

thelikelylass Sun 31-Mar-19 09:36:05

oh thank you! love him and often go on youtube and me and a family member swap Dave Allen videos across the globe!
He was so comfortable in his own skin and that made him very attractive as well as hilarious.

Acis Sun 31-Mar-19 09:36:44

The tribute should have been on BBC 1 instead of the disgrace of a programme Mrs Brown, an insult to comedy.

I completely agree with you about Mrs Brown, but the Dave Allen show was a repeat which I think has been on BBC1 before.

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Sun 31-Mar-19 09:37:43

it is on iplayer, i think was on bbc2 last night

MillyMollyMandie Sun 31-Mar-19 09:40:36

My grandparents watched his shows and I loved Saturday night at their house, sitting at their feet watching them laugh. I didn’t understand much of it but it didn’t matter because my gran and grandads enjoyment of the show was magical.

And may your God go with you

I still think of that almost weekly and I’m in my 60’s now.

aposterhasnoname Sun 31-Mar-19 09:43:49

Loved the German checkpoint sketch, still makes me cry with laughter, even though I know what’s coming.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=EPINQxVjacc

woodhill Sun 31-Mar-19 09:46:18

Love him ,used to watch with my df and like someone interviewed said the humour went over my head.

Best sketch was the Jeckle and Hyde ones when he was wearing a skirt

OscarWildesGreenCarnation Sun 31-Mar-19 09:46:54

When I was little I remember my grandma telling me a story about Dave Allen.
In the very early 70s she was walking her dog on a common and the dog legged it, having heard noises further on.. So she started to call the dog (she had quite a shrill voice!) and as she got further into the common she could see tens of people with cameras milling about, by this time in fits of giggles! As she got closer she realized it was a film set, and there was Dave Allen, sitting there petting said escapee dog!

He told her her voice had carried so far it'd been recorded on set, and she was so mortified that he sat her down, offered her a drink and cigarette and let her watch the rest of the filming! I think she had a bit of a crush on him thereon in! Apparently he was delightful, and I grew up watching him until he sadly died.
What a hugely funny and intelligent man. 'May your God go with you.'

TwitterQueen1 Sun 31-Mar-19 10:14:22

I loved him too - he was so funny, poking fun at religion, rules and laughing at life's absurdities.

AnneEyhtMeyer Sun 31-Mar-19 10:24:02

The Curiosity monologue is one of the best.

youtu.be/5pUVOcD0RvQ

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »