Talk

Advanced search

Dave Allen

(109 Posts)
PositiveVibez Sat 30-Mar-19 23:52:36

Just watching an old show. Aibu to think that if he were alive today, he would have a bloody field day!

PositiveVibez Sat 30-Mar-19 23:55:35

In the name of the father, and of the son, and into the hole he goes 🤣🤣

frankie001 Sun 31-Mar-19 00:19:59

Watched some too. Before my time but found him quite funny!

Bunnylady53 Sun 31-Mar-19 00:22:42

Loved him! Always remember “ Big Daddy, The Kid & Spooky”!! 😂

thenightsky Sun 31-Mar-19 00:24:26

And may your God go with you.

Korvalscat Sun 31-Mar-19 00:25:38

I recently watched him talking about teaching children to tell the time. My dgs1 is learning this at the moment and it is particularly apt.

MissLadyM Sun 31-Mar-19 00:27:09

Very sexy too! ☺️

HelenaDove Sun 31-Mar-19 00:27:20

Love him. Funny insightful and intelligent. I highly recommend The Essential Dave Allen by Graham McCann.

RancidOldHag Sun 31-Mar-19 00:27:43

I remember watching his show when I was a kid - lived it then, and mildly horrified my parents when they realised I 'got' jokes they thought should go over my head.

What I didn't know about was the more serious side (documentaries, straight acting)

Or that he was banned (in Ireland?) for a while for the Pope striptease sketch!

HelenaDove Sun 31-Mar-19 00:28:39

@MissLadyM Yes There is something about a man in a waistcoat. Ditto Edward Woodward in The Equalizer (Im watching reruns on Forces TV.

Hellenbackagen Sun 31-Mar-19 00:32:31

yanbu. i used to love watching him. and i liked the mix of stand up (or sit down with a fag and whisky!) and sketches. i thought he was hilarious.
and wise. his humour was full of wisdom and honesty and i liked him.

PositiveVibez Sun 31-Mar-19 00:38:51

full of wisdom and honesty and i liked him 😍

Absolutepowercorrupts Sun 31-Mar-19 02:06:29

The night sky
That phrase always struck a chord with me. may your God go with you
I loved the way he just sat there on his high stool with his whisky and cigarettes in hand, he was just chatting away and he yet had a perspective that was very different from the comedians of that time. I'm over 60 now so that was a long time ago, his humour was actually entertaining.
He didn't tell jokes, no punchlines, it was a stream of observations about every day human life. Fabulous man

LoudJazzHands Sun 31-Mar-19 02:10:22

My Mum loved him and fancied him so I grew up watching him. Amazing comedian whose work is still funny today.

I didn't realise his wife was pregnant when he died sad

Soverytiredofeverythinggoingon Sun 31-Mar-19 02:54:30

I was lucky enough to see him live due to my Dad being involved with the company he was working for. A fab bloke, so funny, tonight's show made me weep tears of sadness and laughter in equal measure. As a lapsed Catholic his comments were spot on!

ThanosSavedMe Sun 31-Mar-19 03:24:31

Love Dave Allen

DemelzaPoldarksshinerrefiner Sun 31-Mar-19 03:30:55

The funeral race.

ICantBelieveIDidThis Sun 31-Mar-19 03:32:35

I used to love him, as did my Irish family.

Verbal humour and slapstick, taking the piss out of the Catholic Church.

I saw him live and it was genius. An entire London theatre howling with laughter. I was crying with laughter and almost wet myself.

Willow2017 Sun 31-Mar-19 04:22:28

A bloody genius.
Loved him. So insightful and irreverent without going down the route of nastiness. A man of many talents.
Yep he would have had a field day just now.

AlexaAmbidextra Sun 31-Mar-19 08:14:52

I loved him. He was so funny. And as someone said upthread, very sexy. 😄. Most of today’s supposed comedians leave me cold. Just so unfunny.

Pinkyponkcustard Sun 31-Mar-19 08:18:32

He would have made a great James Bond

Lungelady Sun 31-Mar-19 08:20:38

Love him too.
A very insightful man. And sexy smile

Hairynick Sun 31-Mar-19 08:29:27

I loved him, so funny, smart humour.

bellinisurge Sun 31-Mar-19 08:29:59

I remember watching him as a kid - can't believe my strict parents let me do this. But I think they forgot I was there!

TheLastPharl Sun 31-Mar-19 08:32:06

Loved him as a kid. Just so funny.

Gorgeous tooblush

Charley50 Sun 31-Mar-19 08:36:25

The whole family watched him back in the day. Watched last night and he was still so funny and clever.
And yes sexy too.

Bluesheep8 Sun 31-Mar-19 09:00:12

Ah I remember watching him as a child. And my mum laughing til she cried. Happy memories!

GertrudeCB Sun 31-Mar-19 09:02:52

Amazing comedian and so hot when he was a young man shock

LittleCandle Sun 31-Mar-19 09:07:50

I loved the monologue when he was talking about a traffic jam and the things he did to entertain himself and the people round about, including pretending to pick his nose with his amputated finger! Hilarious! I generally don't find comedians funny, but he was priceless!

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Sun 31-Mar-19 09:10:36

he was great

YouTheCat Sun 31-Mar-19 09:11:09

Still funny all these years later. Not many stand the test of time.

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot Sun 31-Mar-19 09:12:26

Yes, how did he lose that finger???????

ForalltheSaints Sun 31-Mar-19 09:14:58

Personally I loved his non-religious jokes more. Sad he died young and was not able to see his child, born after his death.

The tribute should have been on BBC 1 instead of the disgrace of a programme Mrs Brown, an insult to comedy.

whiteroseredrose Sun 31-Mar-19 09:17:27

We watched it too. Still so funny after all these years.

haverhill Sun 31-Mar-19 09:18:22

I’ve met his son and grandson, lovely chaps both of them.
Dave Allen was a truly funny and intelligent man.

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Sun 31-Mar-19 09:18:41

I might seize the remote control later and watch the programme

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Sun 31-Mar-19 09:23:11

He was funny and risque

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Sun 31-Mar-19 09:24:23

Absolute genius

Marylou62 Sun 31-Mar-19 09:26:54

Is there an old show on TV? Would make my Mothers Day watching him again. Good memories of family gathered round the TV.

SerenDippitty Sun 31-Mar-19 09:28:19

Adored him. I remember his rant about the absurdity of giving someone a carriage clock when they retire, when they’ve spent their entire lives being ruled by the clock.

longwayoff Sun 31-Mar-19 09:31:29

In sorry to mention the great esteemed Dave Allen and the abysmal Mrs Brown In the same sentence but good god, it's absolutely awful. To say the least. Who watches it? Is the audience drunk? Surely, you'd have to be to endure it.

thelikelylass Sun 31-Mar-19 09:36:05

oh thank you! love him and often go on youtube and me and a family member swap Dave Allen videos across the globe!
He was so comfortable in his own skin and that made him very attractive as well as hilarious.

Acis Sun 31-Mar-19 09:36:44

The tribute should have been on BBC 1 instead of the disgrace of a programme Mrs Brown, an insult to comedy.

I completely agree with you about Mrs Brown, but the Dave Allen show was a repeat which I think has been on BBC1 before.

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Sun 31-Mar-19 09:37:43

it is on iplayer, i think was on bbc2 last night

MillyMollyMandie Sun 31-Mar-19 09:40:36

My grandparents watched his shows and I loved Saturday night at their house, sitting at their feet watching them laugh. I didn’t understand much of it but it didn’t matter because my gran and grandads enjoyment of the show was magical.

And may your God go with you

I still think of that almost weekly and I’m in my 60’s now.

aposterhasnoname Sun 31-Mar-19 09:43:49

Loved the German checkpoint sketch, still makes me cry with laughter, even though I know what’s coming.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=EPINQxVjacc

woodhill Sun 31-Mar-19 09:46:18

Love him ,used to watch with my df and like someone interviewed said the humour went over my head.

Best sketch was the Jeckle and Hyde ones when he was wearing a skirt

OscarWildesGreenCarnation Sun 31-Mar-19 09:46:54

When I was little I remember my grandma telling me a story about Dave Allen.
In the very early 70s she was walking her dog on a common and the dog legged it, having heard noises further on.. So she started to call the dog (she had quite a shrill voice!) and as she got further into the common she could see tens of people with cameras milling about, by this time in fits of giggles! As she got closer she realized it was a film set, and there was Dave Allen, sitting there petting said escapee dog!

He told her her voice had carried so far it'd been recorded on set, and she was so mortified that he sat her down, offered her a drink and cigarette and let her watch the rest of the filming! I think she had a bit of a crush on him thereon in! Apparently he was delightful, and I grew up watching him until he sadly died.
What a hugely funny and intelligent man. 'May your God go with you.'

TwitterQueen1 Sun 31-Mar-19 10:14:22

I loved him too - he was so funny, poking fun at religion, rules and laughing at life's absurdities.

AnneEyhtMeyer Sun 31-Mar-19 10:24:02

The Curiosity monologue is one of the best.

youtu.be/5pUVOcD0RvQ

scaryteacher Sun 31-Mar-19 10:32:04

He was brilliant. I used to watch him as a teenager and chortle, whilst my Mum frowned at the religious jokes (v high CofE).

LakieLady Sun 31-Mar-19 10:35:53

Still funny all these years later. Not many stand the test of time.

That's almost word for word what we said!

He seemed such a lovely man, too.

Fluffyears Sun 31-Mar-19 11:16:35

He was bloody hilarious and I’d love them to actually repeat his show again. One repeat I wouldn’t mind.

Ontheboardwalk Sun 31-Mar-19 11:58:27

Ah thank which God you go with, I was worried this was going to be a nasty thread about his humour. I’m so glad it’s not.

Not seen the show for many many years. I remember watching with my Grandma who would tut VERY LOUDLY at his religious jokes then laugh her head off.

That’s my Sunday afternoon viewing sorted on catch up.

Hellenbackagen Sun 31-Mar-19 12:12:12

What was the show btw....I'll find it on catch up.

DameDoom Sun 31-Mar-19 12:16:05

Started watching him with my dad aged about 7. Would be wetting myself. He was a genius and so handsome. Must find some reruns.

DrunkUnicorn Sun 31-Mar-19 12:20:14

I'm not originally from the UK, so hearing of him for the first time. I've just googled him and seen a few images and I think I have a little crush on him already 😁 I must watch him now if he is as funny as you say he is.

Ontheboardwalk Sun 31-Mar-19 12:23:48

Hellen it's Dave Allen God's own comedian. Was on BBC 2 last night. I've found it on iPlayer

3timeslucky Sun 31-Mar-19 12:32:46

So so funny. I grew up watching him with my mum. Never missed it. I watched something about him in the last year or two and was struck by how ahead of his time he was - and brave - in his material on Roman Catholicism. (We were watching in Ireland and this was not run of the mill material at that time). He was sharp, insightful, intelligent, so so funny, brilliant delivery and just a joy to watch.

Puzzledandpissedoff Sun 31-Mar-19 13:59:14

Probably one of the only comedians there's even been who could make me howl with laughter ... basically a bar room raconteur, but oh how talented

iwantatattoo Sun 31-Mar-19 14:03:48

I think my Mum fancied him too. He was so clever.

eddiemairswife Sun 31-Mar-19 14:21:41

I loved seeing him again last night. Does anyone know what he died of?

TSSDNCOP Sun 31-Mar-19 15:04:22

Nothing more attractive than a clever, funny raconteur,

JamAndCroissants Sun 31-Mar-19 15:06:52

Used to watch him with my df, very fond memories.

maddiemookins16mum Sun 31-Mar-19 15:08:01

My parents watched him, I never really got it.

corlan Sun 31-Mar-19 15:20:07

Not much on TV makes me laugh but I watched the program last night and laughed again at his jokes even though I knew the punchlines. I remember seeing him on stage many years ago with my parents and I think it was one of the few times I ever saw them laughing together - a really happy memory.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 31-Mar-19 15:27:45

He lived in the village where I went to school. He stopped at the traffic lights one day and one of the lads banged on his car window. As Dave Allen opened it, he said “Tell is a joke, Dave!” Dave Allen said “I’m looking at one,” the lights changed and he drove off while the rest of us fell about laughing.

Thehogfatherstolemycurry Sun 31-Mar-19 15:32:14

I met him in a pub in Wigan years and years ago. (Late 80's)
He chatted to us all evening, I went back in the pub the next morning (8am ish) to get a coffee and he was still at the bar drinking beer!! Legend!

SinglePringle Sun 31-Mar-19 16:01:54

Ah, thanks to you lot I’ve just been crying at You Tube clips! God he was funny. And very clever. Doing a hmm at Catholicism in Ireland but from the POV of kids meant he was just - just - the right side of The Church.

Bloody funny man.

What was the programme people watched?

HelenaDove Sun 31-Mar-19 16:48:24

He was funny intelligent and insightful but NEVER mean or nasty with it.

None of todays comedians come close. And a lot of them think being mean is funny e.g. Jimmy Carr.

And Mrs Brown is fucking awful.

MillyMollyMandie Sun 31-Mar-19 16:51:01

Not seen the show for many many years. I remember watching with my Grandma who would tut VERY LOUDLY at his religious jokes then laugh her head off

My granny as well. It’s what I remember the most.

eddiemairswife Sun 31-Mar-19 17:30:32

He demonstrates what so many modern comedians lack; no constant shouting, no endless bad language.

MoggyP Sun 31-Mar-19 17:41:03

"He demonstrates what so many modern comedians lack; no constant shouting, no endless bad language"

Though he did get dumped by the BBC after he said 'a fucking clock' on screen

Absofuckinglutely Sun 31-Mar-19 17:51:26

Absolutely loved him. A brilliant comedian and observer of life. Still watch some of his shows on YouTube.

littledoll33 Sun 31-Mar-19 18:07:15

Loved him too!

littledoll33 Sun 31-Mar-19 18:07:28

He was very funny and clever, and very handsome. Reminded me a LOT of an uncle of mine, who was 6' 3", handsome, suave and very well-off. (He and my auntie owned a company.) The ladies LOVED him. (Much to the annoyance of my auntie!) grin

Dave Allen made me laugh on that programme, when he kept telling different tales of how he lost his forefinger.

Don't get comedians like that anymore, and like someone said further upthread, he brings back lovely memories of the whole family sat round the TV, like when it was the Eurovision song contest, when the Morecambe and Wise Christmas show was on, when the Queen's speech was on, when big snooker finals were on or England were in the top 16 last teams in the football (soccer) world cup, and so on....

Happy days, and a simpler time. smile

Puzzledandpissedoff Sun 31-Mar-19 18:11:41

Totally agree, Helena. So many "comedians" of today confuse comedy and cruelty, laughing at folk rather than with them

It's talentless and unnecessary, as the genius of Dave Allen showed

maggienolia Sun 31-Mar-19 18:22:53

The sketch of the priests and nuns using the confession boxes as dodgems was an absolute classic. ..as well as the one about teaching kids to tell the time.

bananasandwicheseveryday Sun 31-Mar-19 19:15:42

@eddiemairswife

I wondered that too. Apparently it was Sudden arrhythmic death syndrome.
Very sad. Dh and I loved his humour - funny and irreverent but not nasty or unkind.
Didn't see the programme, but will definitely find it on catch up.

yolofish Sun 31-Mar-19 19:26:32

oh I need to watch this! great memories of my mum (catholic Irish) and dad watching and me laughing along too. But I thought I heard something fairly recently that implied that he was somehow persona non grata nowadays?

GarthFunkel Sun 31-Mar-19 19:42:39

Is Alex in? Is something I still quote to my teenagers when they grunt at me.

ForalltheSaints Sun 31-Mar-19 19:45:35

HelenaDove you were being kind to Mrs Brown's Boys, it is worse than that.

I have listened to the story of his first day at school just now which is very funny.

HelenaDove Sun 31-Mar-19 19:48:11

Mrs Browns Boys is a pile of steaming manure.

Notastepparentbut Sun 31-Mar-19 19:53:45

Oh I loved him as a child / teen. Thanks op, I’ll find the programme on iPlayer. Sunday night, sorted.

CaptainJaneway62 Sun 31-Mar-19 20:23:56

Absolutely loved Dave Allen. Fantastic comedian and so good looking. Just hooked to the TV as a kid watching him!

Ali1cedowntherabbithole Sun 31-Mar-19 20:31:33

Loved watching him with my Dad as a teenager while DM virtually disowned us. Very funny guy.

I loved the anti-apartheid gag last night, so beautifully observed and so pointed.

Notastepparentbut Sun 31-Mar-19 20:35:13

I had forgotten just how beautiful he was. Really really good looking.

MulticolourMophead Sun 31-Mar-19 20:41:20

He demonstrates what so many modern comedians lack; no constant shouting, no endless bad language

I once went to see him live, and he did drop the f bomb a number of times. Still bloody funny, though grin

Ontheboardwalk Sun 31-Mar-19 22:33:49

MillyMollyMandie I hope your Granny tutted or shook her head before she laughed out loud. I bet it was great seeing her laugh like she did.

I never saw my Grandma laugh like she did at Dave Allen

Willow2017 Mon 01-Apr-19 00:20:53

Been watching the compilation show and the documentary

Still as funny today, laughing my socks off. He was incredibly clever at pointing out absurdities and inconsistsncies in all walks of life through humour. No nastiness like many comedians, just gently prodding us and asking us to look closer at something.
Wish they would rerun all his shows.

Used to have a crush on him watching with my parents😁 (Still find him hugely attractive😀)

"Nose knickers" 😂😂

Rumboogie Mon 01-Apr-19 00:38:58

I seem to remember though that he descended into filth

AlexaAmbidextra Mon 01-Apr-19 03:57:32

I seem to remember though that he descended into filth

Filth you say? I’d quite happily have descended into filth with him given the opportunity. 😈

Lungelady Mon 01-Apr-19 08:30:10

filth
grin
Are you Mary Whitehouse?
alwxa there is a queue

ShatnersWigIsActuallyAMammoth Mon 01-Apr-19 08:35:00

Found him hilarious when I was little and still do. I knew someone (also now dead) who knew him for some years as they lived in the same place. Always spoke very, very highly of him as being a very down to earth guy, no showbiz, would do anything for anyone.

longwayoff Mon 01-Apr-19 09:08:15

Filth? Crumbs, tender sensibilities here.

Puzzledandpissedoff Mon 01-Apr-19 13:40:14

I’d quite happily have descended into filth with him given the opportunity

Too bad, Alexa ... being an old gimmer I'm almost certainly older than you, and I saw him first!! grin

AlexaAmbidextra Mon 01-Apr-19 13:52:29

Too bad, Alexa ... being an old gimmer I'm almost certainly older than you, and I saw him first!! grin

😂. I’m an old gimmer too. If he was still alive I’d offer to fight you for him.

TwitterQueen1 Mon 01-Apr-19 13:53:39

Please someone tell me what the 'filth' was! I want to know!

OutInTheCountry Mon 01-Apr-19 13:58:39

I watched him as a kid and loved him, I was also weirdly aware that I fancied him, watching him now as an adult I stand by that. If it's the programme I'm thinking of then I watched it a while back and was struck by what a lovely guy he was. So sad that he didn't get to meet his youngest but how lovely that she has all his work to look back on.

Topseyt Mon 01-Apr-19 14:08:22

I always liked him. I am confused by the comment that he descended into filth. He didn't. Anyone who says he did must have watched a different Dave Allen to me.

He was very good at pointing out irony and absurdity. He regularly did send-ups of the church, most regularly the Roman Catholic church. No harm there, it is fair game for it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »