Talk

Advanced search

Co sleeping with a 1 year old

(31 Posts)
Blue12daisy Sat 30-Mar-19 20:04:22

Hi I am currently co sleeping with my 1.yr old which I have no issue doing however I go to bed when they do around 6.30 to 7. 30 and always have done since they wouldn't settle in the cot from about 6 months, after a holiday where I ended up having to co sleep as the cot supplied wasn't suitable. I go back to work soon and I need to work from home in the evenings so I need to try to be able to put them to bed and work. I would appreciate any suggestions on achieving this without controlled crying which I personally do not want to do. I have tried putting them down asleep and patting them when they wake and this doesn't work. She wakes as soon as I put her in the cot and starts to cry, she really panics which I won't have and pick her up straight away. The health visitors couldn't suggest anything else either and said there is no miracle answer and to carry on as I am if it works. I thought I would try on here in case anyone else has been doing this and perhaps can suggest how they stopped co sleeping. She also stands in the cot and I am worried she will fall and hurt herself, it says not to use bumpers at this age. I have played with her in the cot during the day for her to try to get used to it and it is in our room. She was in the cot from 4 and a bit month in our room but since the hols she hates it, we tried in her room too. I really am not sure what to do.

Divgirl2 Sun 31-Mar-19 09:55:02

In that situation I would leave them in childcare until normal finishing time. At least where I am it isn't any cheaper to pick them up early, and my son LOVES nursery so even if I do leave work an hour or so early I tend to end up shopping reading in a coffee shop until his normal pick up time.

BarrenFieldofFucks Sun 31-Mar-19 09:56:48

Our 18 month old falls asleep on me then I put him in our bed. We then join him later.
We have attached a toddler bed to the side of out bed for extra space.

Divgirl2 Sun 31-Mar-19 09:58:31

Oh, and I'm still co sleeping with my 1 year old but he's now napping in his cot. I put him down once he's asleep (feed to sleep). Nursery was a game changer for that - he'd never slept in a cot before nursery and now he'll happily go down and stay asleep for hours.

It's a very good nursery.

Blue12daisy Sun 31-Mar-19 18:38:15

Thanks so much for you all taking the time to respond. Really great suggestions too I am so grateful.
I do have a partner but he has never done a night time and I am still feeding my daughter so I doubt she would settle if he tried to settle her. I have dropped the daytime feeds so far and I am going to drop the one after brekky next, then tackle the night time ones which I guess will be the hardest.
My hours are flexible to a point so I can log on early to catch up whilst little one is sleeping if I need to and log on my lap top in the same room once she is a sleep too.
My partner has taken the side off of the cot and it is against our bed now, I am going to try this suggestion first and move the camera from her room into ours so I can attempt to sneak out once she is a sleep. I have a bed guard on the other side of the bed.
I will let you k wk how it goes, thanks again all 👍😄

Blue12daisy Sun 31-Mar-19 18:39:39

My little one starts nursery soon, I am hoping the same thing will happen that you experienced with the cot 👍

Blue12daisy Wed 03-Apr-19 19:06:30

Hi a little update. It has been successful putting my daughter in the cot with the side off against our bed. She has taken a little bit longer to settle but has stayed in the cot all night 👍 she is still waking up approx 4 times to feed or comfort feed so I need to work on this now. I'm thinking perhaps the pillow mentioned might help but it's £205!! Seems very expensive.
I feel we have made a good step forward.
Next steps get brave and leave her once a sleep with the monitor on and gradually stop breast feeding her at night in the hope she will sleep longer. Daytime feeding has stopped now and she has cows milk.
Thanks again all, 😊😊

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »