Talk

Advanced search

5p at Florist for a bag. AIBU?

(99 Posts)
macarmahouse Sat 30-Mar-19 17:31:25

I bought my mother a planter of flowers for £50 and paid with all the cash I had. I asked for something to cover it as my mum was in my car as I’d ferried her to an appointment. She said it’s too big for paper but I can give you a bag?

I said ooh great thanks! She said, 5 pence please? Oh I don’t have anymore change, ruffling through my handbag for some. She stood there holding the bag. So I said oh sorry I don’t have the 5p. Then she put the bag away and handed me the flowers.

I was a little bit taken aback but I do see it from her point of view. BTW I used to work in retail and we gave backs out willy nilly. I guess it is better for the environment.

AIBU to expect her to have said oh don’t worry, here you go, have the bag for nothing. £50 isn’t an insignificant amount to spend.

IceRebel Sat 30-Mar-19 17:35:02

Surely even with the bag it would have been obvious what they were by the shape and smell. it would have been nice to receive a bag for free, but it would have been easier all round to collect the flowers without your mother.

GreyGardens88 Sat 30-Mar-19 17:35:36

Don't they legally have to charge for it now?

NicoAndTheNiners Sat 30-Mar-19 17:35:40

Independent florist or large chain one because if its a chain florist I think it's the law? If they have over so many employees?

dinkydolphin Sat 30-Mar-19 17:36:32

She could have thrown in a bag! I would have been tempted to hand the flowers back and ask for my money back.

FourEyesGood Sat 30-Mar-19 17:36:41

The 5p charge is the law, isn’t it?

TeaStory Sat 30-Mar-19 17:36:42

If the company that runs shop is over a certain size she was obliged to charge the 5p by law...

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Sat 30-Mar-19 17:37:02

The law says the 5p charge only applies to business with over 250 employees. It also doesn't apply if you buy wet fish or an axe hmm

Actually - they cant charge for plants

www.gov.uk/guidance/carrier-bag-charges-retailers-responsibilities#bags-youre-not-required-to-charge-for

Food and plants

You’re not required to charge for plastic bags that are solely used for:

unwrapped loose seeds
flowers
bulbs, corms or rhizomes (roots, stems and shoots, such as ginger).
goods contaminated by soil (like potatoes or plants)

TeaStory Sat 30-Mar-19 17:37:06

*runs THE shop

macarmahouse Sat 30-Mar-19 17:37:24

Independent one.

I don’t think it would have been obvious as I was going to put it in the boot. My mum was sat in the car.

Sirzy Sat 30-Mar-19 17:37:33

Well it worked as it stopped an unneeded bag being used

CheekyChappy710 Sat 30-Mar-19 17:39:10

Wtf I would have asked for a refund of the £50. Youd soon have got a free bag.

TheGrey1houndSpeaks Sat 30-Mar-19 17:39:50

If course she could have thrown in a bag. The law just requires the 5p charge, it doesn’t have to be paid by the actual customer. They could have chucked it in the till themselves considering they’d just made a fifty quid sale.

Alsohuman Sat 30-Mar-19 17:39:51

It irks me when I buy something costing £100+ from John Lewis and they want me to pay for a bag. Wtf don’t they use paper ones? Even Primark have worked that one out.

GrumpyMummy123 Sat 30-Mar-19 17:40:07

I thought it was law the 5p bag thing? But surely she could have been a bit more apologetic and had a rummage about for something else to use. But it is Mothers day so she was probably absolutely flat out and didn't have time to help more.

secretsciurusvulgaris Sat 30-Mar-19 17:41:17

You know where not to take your business next time.

EmmaC78 Sat 30-Mar-19 17:55:39

Could you have taken a bag with you? In Scotland the charge is compulsory so i always have bags with me. If i go in to a shop and forget a bag it feels odd to ask for one now.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Sat 30-Mar-19 17:56:27

@grumpy

[https://www.gov.uk/guidance/carrier-bag-charges-retailers-responsibilities#bags-youre-not-required-to-charge-for]

Mrslouislou Sat 30-Mar-19 17:57:48

after spending £50, I’d have assumed the bag was free too OP and I think if I were her, I’d have given it for free

dementedpixie Sat 30-Mar-19 18:01:55

In Scotland we pay for any bags regardless of the size of shop/ amount of employees.

Widowodiw Sat 30-Mar-19 18:03:02

Good on her I say. You didn’t end up with a plastic bag, that actually you ended up doing perfectly well without so avoided having an inecesaary piece of plastic. I’d say if your parked outside a florist with your mum
In the car she’s going to guyess you got her flowers anyway?!

FrancisCrawford Sat 30-Mar-19 18:07:51

The 5p charge is designed to make people think about whether or not they need the bag or want the bag enough to pay for it and thus save plastic

It worked in this instance

Another Scot who is well used to the bag charge

LittleCandle Sat 30-Mar-19 18:12:07

Perhaps she didn't fancy paying a £20,000 personal fine for not charging you for the bag. Yes, SHE would get the fine, not the company she works for. So much as i might like my customers, I don't like them that much. YABU.

macarmahouse Sat 30-Mar-19 18:12:30

Sorry Scots, but I live in Wales, and we were first in the UK to bring in this law, before you and NI and England. wink

Lockheart Sat 30-Mar-19 18:14:58

YAB a bit U. Bags cost money, it doesn't matter if what you've bought is £5 or £500. You should also carry your own reusable bags wink

However I agree that 5p wouldn't have broken the bank for the florist, although she is in no way obligated to give you a free bag!

I have to agree with other posters that if your mum was sitting outside whilst you were in a florists on the day before Mothers Day and then you come out with a bag it would hardly be the shock of the century for her to find out you'd bought her flowers.

Subtle it was not.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »