Talk

Advanced search

any estate agents around?

(9 Posts)
ambereeree Sat 30-Mar-19 16:08:38

I was approached a few months ago by a neighbour to buy my flat. We exchanged a few emaiks regarding lease particularls but he gave a low figure and I rejected it. I signed up to an EA and now the neighbour has got back to me- i haven't told him I signed anything.
Can I sell to him if he gives me a decent offer (i have all the old emails). Can the EA say anything?

dragonsteeth Sat 30-Mar-19 17:00:11

Check the contract you signed with the estate agent. Every time I've signed up to sell with an estate agent they've asked me to name anyone I knew who might want to buy privately from me, and their fee would have been exempted had I sold to the person named.

ambereeree Sat 30-Mar-19 17:20:43

No they didn't ask me that.

Villanellesproudmum Sat 30-Mar-19 17:23:38

Check your contract, it might be restricted to anyone they introduce to the property, this can include years later. Your situation sounds different, I’m not an agent though.

bilbodog Sat 30-Mar-19 17:26:51

When did you sign with the estate agent? I think there is a cooling off period during which time you can pull out. Otherwise i would be honest with them and say you have a private buyer.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Sat 30-Mar-19 17:33:08

Yes - I think the EA can charge fees - the small print in mine says I'm tied to the EA for 2 years.

Imoan123 Sat 30-Mar-19 17:36:48

It depends which estate agent you are with. Some agents you only pay the commission fee if the buyer purchased the property via the estate agent. Check your contract.

MissMudskipper Sat 30-Mar-19 17:42:20

I'm am estate agent OP. In the Contract we ask specially if anyone has expressed interest in the property before. In order to claim their fee from you they have to introduce the buyer to you which on this occasion they haven't and you have proof via emails that he was interested before they marketed your property.

Do not let your potential buyer register with the estate agents as this undoubtedly will cause issues!

It's difficult without seeing your contract but I would say you were safe to sell to privately.

MissMudskipper Sat 30-Mar-19 17:43:07

Specifically not specially....sorry writing on my mobile!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »