Talk

Advanced search

to ask what you would do?

(8 Posts)
MagicStarz Sat 30-Mar-19 15:13:37

I am currently working in a job I dislike, it's high stress without the nice salary to accompany it. I earn £20k, but the job is only 10 miles away so not an awful commute.

What worries me, is that in 2 weeks my notice period will rise to 3 months, as it policy when probation period is over. My notice period is currently 1 month.

I have the possibility of another job, same money, but it's a 20 mile commute. It's also less holiday (20 days, whereas I now get 23).

I am on the fence, as the second job is a longer commute for the same money, and it is not a job I would stay in long term. However, it will definitely be less stress and will get me out of having the 3 month notice period at my current job.

polarpig Sat 30-Mar-19 15:16:01

Life is too short to be in a job you dislike so I'd take the other job as long as the commute wasn't horrendous.

talkingjapeneseireallythinkso Sat 30-Mar-19 15:17:42

i'd go for the new job, as polar said why waste your life doing things you dislike ?

whywhywhy6 Sat 30-Mar-19 15:17:44

I’d take the new job. 20 minutes is nothing.

MsVestibule Sat 30-Mar-19 15:18:28

When you say 'high stress', do you mean it's likely to affect your MH? Also, how long will the notice period be on your new job?

MagicStarz Sat 30-Mar-19 15:19:36

@MsVestibule yes, it is already affecting my MH. And the notice period in the new job is 1 month

MsVestibule Sat 30-Mar-19 15:26:11

In that case, I'd probably leave. How long will the 20 mile commute take? Will it cost a lot more in petrol/fares? Can you afford this?

I don't know how common it is to have such a long notice period for a low grade job but it seems ridiculous!

polarpig Sat 30-Mar-19 15:31:34

If it's already affecting your mental health then leaving is essential.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: