Talk

Advanced search

DH does DIY so I should be really grateful right?

(6 Posts)
DIYJob Sat 30-Mar-19 11:50:55

We have money in our savings to get it done professionally but he's made a real effort to learn to do it himself and I'm really impressed

I'm so grateful but also really cross that he will not do things like prepare outside, so our whole house is covered with dust, plaster etc that could be so easily avoided by just doing it outside and then taking shoes off when carrying buckets etc. I've said I'll help with all of that!

Last time this happened we had loads of stuff covered in paint that never came off and some floors never recovered

How can I be grateful but also ask him to take more care? I know lots of husbands do nothing etc and that DIY is messy but this could be avoided so easily and in about the same time so I feel really cross

HarrysOwl Sat 30-Mar-19 11:55:36

...or do it yourself / help him.

Really mean to criticise when he's making an effort.

M4J4 Sat 30-Mar-19 12:00:17

I disagree with Harry, I would be livid if furniture/furnishings were covered in dust or paint.

Tell him he needs to take care in future or you will get a professional to do it.

DIYJob Sat 30-Mar-19 12:00:19

Well, that's kind of how I feel too.

But, we both saved up in order to get the work done professionally, I have said I will help as in OP but he does when I'm not there so won't moan and the damage to our furnishings is expensive too so it's counter productive doing it ourselves unless it can just be done with care!

Bambamber Sat 30-Mar-19 12:13:29

Tell him to stop doing it unless he does it with proper care so stuff stops getting ruined. You don't have to be grateful for him making a mess and ruining furniture

Petitprince Sat 30-Mar-19 14:26:43

Plenty of paid tradesmen make loads of dust and mess too - sadly seems to go with the job.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: