Talk

Advanced search

To think it is weird if DS signs this MDay card?

(114 Posts)
hidinginthenightgarden Sat 30-Mar-19 11:43:35

DH has just asked me to get DS (6) to sign Dh' mums MDay card. I asked why when it is for his mum (MIL) and he said she likes DS better than him hmm. IS this not weird?
If DS did not have a mum then it would be like saying you she is a mtoher figure for him, but as I am well and alive, and very much his main carer, is it not a bit direspectful to me that Dh is getting him to write a card to her? Especially as DH rarely bothers to get me anything from the kids other than whatever crap he sees in the supermarket. Last year he bought me a mug - Id on't drink hot drinks so couldn't have put much less thought into it.

jaseyraex Sat 30-Mar-19 11:45:53

Can he not get her a grandma/granny/nana whatever card from DS instead? Agree it's weird to have her grandson sign it rather than her son!

Mrsjayy Sat 30-Mar-19 11:45:59

Yes it is weird your dh is a bit weird about the whole thing get him to sign his mums card not everything has to involve young children

ApolloandDaphne Sat 30-Mar-19 11:46:13

I don't think it is weird to get your DS to sign the card for his GM. GP's tend to really love things done by their GC. It isn't disrespectful to you at all. The issue with your DH not helping your DS to buy you something is a different matter entirely.

TokenGinger Sat 30-Mar-19 11:47:06

I think it's really cute. My mum would love it if my DC did this.

Mrsjayy Sat 30-Mar-19 11:47:13

Yes a for granny on MD card is a better idea if your dh wants to go down that road

ApolloandDaphne Sat 30-Mar-19 11:47:43

Obviously i am in the minority then!

Do others sign their card from the whole family? I've just written mine to my DM and signed it from me, DH, both adult DD's and the dog!

Badwifey Sat 30-Mar-19 11:48:07

I think you are massively overreacting. It's only a card to his nana.

spanieleyes Sat 30-Mar-19 11:48:20

We view Mothering Sunday as a day to be grateful for all mothers, not just your own. So my children always get their grandmas a card/present as well as one for me! I get one for my mother and ex MIL. For us, it is the opposite of disrespectfulgrin However, most families have their own way of celebrating so each to their own!

Nanasueathome Sat 30-Mar-19 11:48:47

My 5 year old grandson made a card for me
Happy Momthers day

He wrote it all himself too

hidinginthenightgarden Sat 30-Mar-19 11:49:41

If it was a DGma card - appropriate.
Why would DS sign a "mum" card for his DGma?

RLOU30 Sat 30-Mar-19 11:49:54

I think your overreacting. No one is denying your alive well and are his actual mum! I'm sure his mother is under no illusion.
It's just a sweet thing to do & I'll be getting my mum a card from my 10mo

troubleswillbeoutofsight Sat 30-Mar-19 11:50:28

YANBU
She's your DH's Mum, not your DS's

hidinginthenightgarden Sat 30-Mar-19 11:52:19

He has also bought her a shit present despite me suggesting something nice a few weeks ago she actually needed and would appreciate. Instead he has bought her some chocolate. Not even a box - Just a big bar. It seems so thoughtless!

hidinginthenightgarden Sat 30-Mar-19 11:53:37

Rlou will it say to Grandma or mum on the front though? And will she get one from you also? That is the difference I think.

Alsohuman Sat 30-Mar-19 11:54:54

Will she like it, though? And if you’re taking the usual feminist stance on presents for MiL being his responsibility, you can hardly criticise his choice.

spanieleyes Sat 30-Mar-19 11:55:31

Cards are generic. They say "Happy Mother's Day", not "Happy you are my mother Day" So, assuming your MIL is a mother (!) she can receive a card!

Lovestonap Sat 30-Mar-19 11:56:26

Honestly? Don't over think it. Take any and all opportunities to show family members they are loved. Whoever signs the cards.

PrinceOfPies Sat 30-Mar-19 11:57:21

Does it say happy mothers day? Or "to my mum"

First is fine. Second slightly odd.

Though no one is confused over whi ds's mum is so I wouldn't worry about it.

hidinginthenightgarden Sat 30-Mar-19 11:58:57

Alsohuman - it is shit dairymilk - does anyone enjoy that theses days grin

daisychain01 Sat 30-Mar-19 11:59:40

I think it's your DHs resentment showing through, even bordering on the passive aggressive - he's openly stated "my DM loves DS more than me" so he's rubbing it in by having DS sign the Mother's Day card.

I agree OP, you're DSs mum, it's the day of the year you deserve to have the spotlight on you.

A Happy Nan/Granny/Grandma car is different, because it makes it clear he's doing it as her Grandson. But Happy Mothers Day is not appropriate in the context of what you've described.

hidinginthenightgarden Sat 30-Mar-19 11:59:49

"to my Mum on Mothers day".

daisychain01 Sat 30-Mar-19 12:00:32

People will always come out with I can't see your problem, when it isn't happening to them!

steff13 Sat 30-Mar-19 12:01:01

It's not weird or disrespectful.

hidinginthenightgarden Sat 30-Mar-19 12:02:35

Daisychain01-His mum would literally do anyting for him but there is little emotion there. That said, the only time I have tried to see his mum hug him, he backed away. I think if there is resentment or ill feeling on DH part - it isn't entirely his mums fault.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »