Talk

Advanced search

Living off grid (kind of)?? As few bills as possible?

(126 Posts)
Cottagelife1 Sat 30-Mar-19 10:51:26

Ok so I have had a little revelation? We are moving into a small cottage for about a year while we save and build a new house? So I have decided to try to live with as little bills as possible?? Has ANYONE ever done this?? Aibu to think this is possible?Posting here for traffic but there may be a better group??
So we will have no rent/mortgage, no tv or tv license, no water bill, we will need electricity obvs, but we will have a stove and our own wood, and a gas bottle for the hob.

We were thinking chickens , a pig to feed our waste food too (and the compost heap obvs). Am I missing anything?? Any ideas from those who try to be self sufficient??

Cottagelife1 Sat 30-Mar-19 11:42:12

Just realized I forgot phone bills (they also have unlimited internet so no need for broadband etc

AlexaAmbidextra Sat 30-Mar-19 11:51:20

Will you have a septic tank or mains drainage? You’ll need to have the former emptied or pay charges for the latter.

KitKat1985 Sat 30-Mar-19 11:53:30

How are you planning to avoid a water bill? Surely you will need fresh water?

Cottagelife1 Sat 30-Mar-19 12:02:10

@AlexaAmbidextra
@KitKat1985
We don’t have water bills here anyway but it has a well and septic tank yes. So it will need emptied at points yes but even that takes a few years as far as I’m aware

Sindragosan Sat 30-Mar-19 12:09:55

If you're planning on growing food, you need to think about storage. Many foods have a small harvest window then need to be stored carefully or made into jams, chutneys, canned or frozen. Some things can't really be successfully stored long term at home and it takes a fair amount of time and space.
If you are going down that route, store up jars etc and think about extra freezers.

Harvest time is lovely but can be exhausting as a lot of things can all be ready in a short space of time.

Cottagelife1 Sat 30-Mar-19 12:11:33

@Sindragosan thank you!!

anniehm Sat 30-Mar-19 12:14:04

Grow your own veg, but as much as it's admirable, is it going to make you happy? I couldn't live without some kind of media for instance (my preference is bbc). We get a coal delivery annually (smoke free) as it's easier than wood (burns for 3x as long)

AnnaComnena Sat 30-Mar-19 12:17:49

What about council tax?

thereinmadnesslies Sat 30-Mar-19 12:22:37

We have chickens but I don’t think it saves us money. By the time you’ve bought the coop, the chickens themselves and the feed the resulting eggs will be considerably more expensive than just buying eggs in the supermarket.

Cottagelife1 Sat 30-Mar-19 12:25:09

@AnnaComnena not in uk no council tax

Cottagelife1 Sat 30-Mar-19 12:26:06

@anniehm well I will watch movies on Netflix if necessary but daily I don’t watch tv at all

elQuintoConyo Sat 30-Mar-19 12:29:13

Clothes/bogrolls/washing powder-liquid-etc/car payments/bus tickets/replacing tech/taxis..

PotteringAlong Sat 30-Mar-19 12:33:09

From the OP what I’m getting is why bother to build your new house? You sound quite excited by it and as you have no rent / mortgage you clearly own the cottage, so why not make that the long term plan?

HelloViroids Sat 30-Mar-19 12:39:53

Surely a TV Licence is less than a Netflix subscription though?!

Cottagelife1 Sat 30-Mar-19 12:41:26

@PotteringAlong because my children are young and can share a room at the moment but as they get older I suspect that may be harder as I have one girl and one boy. So more space will be be necessary. We’re hoping that we can save enough to fund the build ourselves😬🙏

bodgersmash Sat 30-Mar-19 12:41:48

@HelloViroids our Netflix subscription is a lot less than our TV licence!

Cottagelife1 Sat 30-Mar-19 12:42:28

@HelloViroids it’s my mums Netflix that I use as I only use it once every two weeks or so. She has very kindly let me use it.

TwoBlueFish Sat 30-Mar-19 12:46:17

Solar panel maybe to generate electricity. Grow your own veg, might be able to swap goods with other people rather than buy (clothes, seeds, eggs, veg etc). Mooncup to save on buying sanitary products.

Hollowvictory Sat 30-Mar-19 12:47:42

Off grid means off the electrical grid.
Is the house building self sufficient too I. E will you be recycling your plastic into plastic bricks or something? Are you doing the building work yourself?
Or are you 'self sufficient' growing some veg whilst a big non self sufficient building project takes place making you a new house?
Either way it sounds like a fun temporary camping type trip. Good luck

SnowyAlpsandPeaks Sat 30-Mar-19 12:48:30

I’m curious- where do you live? This sounds like so much fun, but I feel tired just thinking of all the work involved!

Backwoodsgirl Sat 30-Mar-19 12:49:36

Depending on the families size you probably could get away with no pig and feeding waste to the chickens.

You could probably like the wood stove to the hot water tank, that would cut the cost of hot water.

Look into pressure canning to store food.

Raspberry10 Sat 30-Mar-19 12:50:02

Got mobile phones? Use solar chargers they are excellent, also work for tablets. Chickens, veggie plot, I’d get the well water tested to make sure it’s ok to drink. But I’m paranoid! How hot is it? You might benefit from Water Butts for watering the veggies rather than pulling it up from the well?

Cottagelife1 Sat 30-Mar-19 12:52:35

@TwoBlueFish yes I already use a mooncup!! AMAZING!!

Cottagelife1 Sat 30-Mar-19 12:53:24

@SnowyAlpsandPeaks Ireland 👍

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: