Talk

Advanced search

To expect him to sleep on the floor if necessary!

(17 Posts)
Chocolateisfab Sat 30-Mar-19 10:05:29

Ddog had major surgery yesterday, home less than 5 mins and she starts pulling at the stitches.
Went back to vet's for a cone of shame and put stop to that!!
Tried (obviously) to get it off, hard going navigating her way about but stuck with it.
Realised she will need total supervision until stitches are out in 2 weeks. Organised the time between us and roped in dc too!.
I suggested I sleep with her first night, had 3 hours on the sofa, popped to the loo and she had pinched my space! Made a bed on the floor and lay there - no sleep tho - til 630. Dh won't do tonight. Apart from it being Mother's day tomorrow and having a house full to host, he should take turns imo!! Hoping she will be OK from tomorrow once regular pain killers have kicked in and she is used to new routine - usually she is in the kitchen with other ddogs. She managed to reach a stitch at some point and shrieked. Worried about waking to a blood bath tbh! Thought parenting a sick dc was hard enough. This is a new level!
So, should dh do tonight knowing it's hopefully a one off?
Secretly think he has a hidden agenda for wanting me upstairs.... Poor ddog needs him downstairs! Any tips for dodging a cone bashing as it bloody hurts!?

Didntwanttochangemyname Sat 30-Mar-19 10:11:00

Can the dog not come upstairs with you both? My dog is a downstairs dog but when she had stitches and a cone on I put her bed next to mine and kept her next to me (she's a big dog).

AnnieOH1 Sat 30-Mar-19 10:15:37

We used old t-shirts on our Rhodesian x great Dane as the collars that would fit him took out most of the furniture! He wasn't a destructive dog though (soft toys would have a tiny hole picked in them and then have their stuffing tenderly picked out piece by piece...) Amazon now stock ready made wet suit type shirts for animals to do the same thing. It keeps them away from the stitches without adding bulk like the cone. I would urge you to try it as you may be able to get the dog back to its normal routine and not end up relegated to the floor yourself! smile

Chocolateisfab Sat 30-Mar-19 10:16:53

Unfortunately our bedroom is 2 floors up and she goes nuts at ddogs passing by at the window. I have a baby gate up at the dining room door to keep her at the back of the house. Cable tied shut as she can open it!

Chocolateisfab Sat 30-Mar-19 10:18:53

Her stitches are right underneath - mammary tumour - or the t shirt would have been a great idea!
Though Lurcherddog would have wanted one - she loves a nice warm jumper!!

WhatALump Sat 30-Mar-19 10:26:39

When our ddog was castrated he was given a medivest thing. Basically a dog version of a baby vest. It had poppers to do up between his legs and kept his wound covered

Bringbackthestripes Sat 30-Mar-19 10:42:56

Our vet recommended a baby grow. Fine if your dog is a small to medium but impossible if you have a Great Dane. Why won’t DH do it? Not fair to expect you to do it all.

Chocolateisfab Sat 30-Mar-19 11:12:07

Ddog is a rottweiler, she is currently sat in a huff under the table. Ds is sat on the table to dodge the cone!
Have given meds and planning short stroll outside pending dc on ddog patrol. Don't want her busting a stitch for ndn tasty looking Bichon Frise!!.
Wonder if I can book a table for 1 somewhere tomorrow and leave them all to it??

anniehm Sat 30-Mar-19 11:42:59

Could you cover with a harness? The vet can also spray with stuff that tastes revolting ddog didn't touch his stitches when they sprayed them.

KarmaStar Sat 30-Mar-19 12:30:13

Yes he should share the night watch!
Lots of healing being sent to your dog.🐾💜🐕🍖

DontCallMeShitley Sat 30-Mar-19 13:03:30

Could you try a soft collar instead of the cone, inflatable one like this? Just an example, there are others available.

www.amazon.co.uk/dog-recovery-collars/b?node=471436031&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&ie=UTF8

Chocolateisfab Sat 30-Mar-19 14:34:33

Oo inflatable ones look good!
She met a new person today!! Usually avoided at all costs!! She was lovely!! Had her out for a green space sniff around!! She seems in better spirits! Dd 13 has offered to sleep downstairs!! Off to Google soft collars!! Thanks all.

Hollowvictory Sat 30-Mar-19 14:36:30

People sleep on the floor for a dog? 😂

TheGrey1houndSpeaks Sat 30-Mar-19 14:39:39

Is the cone not preventing her damaging the stitches? What possible use would your DH be when he’s asleep, whether on the floor or (quite sensibly) in the comfort of his own bed?

Littleduckeggblue Sat 30-Mar-19 14:42:48

@Hollowvictory I'd happily sleep on the floor for my dog. He's part of my family

bridgetreilly Sat 30-Mar-19 14:44:00

He doesn't have to sleep on the floor, he can sleep on the sofa. The dog can have the dog bed on the floor.

Chocolateisfab Sat 30-Mar-19 14:45:10

Ddog would be right next to him. I was aware of her every movement - she managed to catch a stitch - would rather sleep on the floor than get up to her innards everywhere!
Never mind having to get to a vet /pay more than the ££££££, have already spent!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »