Talk

Advanced search

To get annoyed at my in laws for letting my 1yr old & 2yr old watch too much tv?

(80 Posts)
Grublets13 Sat 30-Mar-19 07:20:18

Recently moved closer to my husbands family. My boys spend time with them on a fairly reg

Kaleela Sat 30-Mar-19 07:22:59

I think there are bigger issues than that to be annoyed about in life. If you're annoyed, ask them to stop.

MarthasGinYard Sat 30-Mar-19 07:24:43

If it annoys you that much

Don't leave them with GP's for such long stretches of time.

CripsSandwiches Sat 30-Mar-19 07:27:31

I just wouldn't have them babysit for too long. If you're there with them you can akways say no to the TV.

Meandmetoo Sat 30-Mar-19 07:29:01

How much is too much?

SleepingStandingUp Sat 30-Mar-19 07:30:59

Well either your boys are spending time with you there, so ask to turn it off / put it on an adult channel /take toys

Or they're doing childcare. If they're doing childcare, you can express a preference and explain it makes them harder to put to bed etc but ultimately if you don't like it, stop using them.

How often are they there? Are you paying them?

riotlady Sat 30-Mar-19 07:31:50

I think you need to let go and acknowledge that’s the joy of being at granny and grandads house!

My mum gives my daughter her meals with her high chair plonked in front of a Disney movie, and has a never ending supply of biscuits. It’s all part of the circle of life- when I was little my mum NEVER let us eat in the living room but my Granny would!

YemenRoadYemen Sat 30-Mar-19 07:33:08

So they babysit and/or provide childcare? If you're not happy with it, pay a non-family member.

Grublets13 Sat 30-Mar-19 07:33:22

Uploaded prematurely by my 1 year old. 👆🏻😂

My boys see my in laws on a fairly regular basis. They are both content, happy wee boys who enjoy playing with their toys. We watch wee films and cartoons together occasionally but I don't put children's tv on daily for them. However my in laws have CBeebies on in the background whenever they watch them. My MIL believes it's educational and does no harm. I'm all for them using a bit of 'tv babysitting' if they need too but the fact CBeebies is never off drives me nuts. Should I ask again for them to limit the tv or just leave it?

TokyoSushi Sat 30-Mar-19 07:35:00

If they're helping you out by looking after the kids I'd leave it, it's not like they're giving them drugs.

AuntieCJ Sat 30-Mar-19 07:35:26

If they are providing child care then leave it. If you are there just switch off the TV.

Sirzy Sat 30-Mar-19 07:35:54

Pick your battles!

They are helping you out by watching them. A bit of tv in the background occasionally isn’t going to create any major problems

elQuintoConyo Sat 30-Mar-19 07:40:48

DE had a lot of TV at GPs, by about 3yo he could just some it out, it holds nothing special for him.

He's now 8yo and can take TV or leave it. He'd much rather be running around cos he has ants in his pants grin

If they're helping you out with babysitting, I'd say let them crack on. DC will be able to distinguish 24/7 TV at GP's house, more toys and games at home.

elQuintoConyo Sat 30-Mar-19 07:41:35

DS and zone it out hmm

Grublets13 Sat 30-Mar-19 07:43:16

I've not pushed it too much because I do think their house, their rules. However, they'll soon start looking after them 3 days a week. Paid agreement. If they are watching them for a full day then CBeebies is on from 7.30am-7pm.

theresafoxunderthedecking Sat 30-Mar-19 07:44:01

i used childrens tv for my lot and didn't use tight restricted times, but as it was a big family there were always play mates and friends round so lots happening.they all grew up to be capable adults, who hardly watch tv now. i really don't get the '1/2 hour of t.v a day' thing if your good, and like wise with 'sweets on friday' ffs loosen up ! smile

melissasummerfield Sat 30-Mar-19 07:44:11

I think you should be greatful that they are giving you a break tbh confused

So many posters on here have no help at all and i dont know how they cope without a little break every know and then!

HopefulAgain10 Sat 30-Mar-19 07:46:16

I dont yabu to ask them to limit screen time. Almost 12 hours a day is just too much. Maybe plan some activities and send it weekly for them to do with them

SleepingStandingUp Sat 30-Mar-19 07:46:57

If you're paying them for child are I think you're in a better position to say you want it limiting, 12 of CBEEBIES would drive every one crazy, especially as the shows are repeated in the afternoon from the morning.

Will they not be taking them out at all? 3 days of being stuck in the house from literally wake up to sleep is a fair bit of sitting indoors.

MarthasGinYard Sat 30-Mar-19 07:46:58

If you are paying them for 3 days a week childcare for a one and two year old, then I'm presuming <hoping> that's at least a few hundred pounds a week.

In this instance as you are actually paying them I would mention a few bits about their routines including TV etc.

....if you are paying them 50 quid a day then suck it up

nombrecambio Sat 30-Mar-19 07:50:32

It's quite exhausting for grandparents to watch children for long hours. The TV probably relieves some of the stress.

Are they actively watching the TV or is it just background noise?

OhioOhioOhio Sat 30-Mar-19 07:51:14

Yeah if they are helping for free you have to keep your mouth shut.

Amongstthetallgrass Sat 30-Mar-19 07:52:54

Just leave it.

Chocolatecake12 Sat 30-Mar-19 07:55:39

If you will have a paid agreement with them and it’s 3 days a week with full on tv I’d say something. You need to treat it like any other childminder tbh. Decide what you think is reasonable - then relax a bit as its grandparents house - then make your plea.
I’d suggest for example no tv before lunch/ or before 3pm/ whatever you decide.

MsSquiz Sat 30-Mar-19 07:57:19

I think there's a difference between putting your kids bang in front of the tv for them to stare at for hours on end, and having it on in the background while playing and interacting with your children.

If it's the first option, then I would say something, maybe ask that it's only on for a few hours. if the second, it wouldn't bother me at all

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »