Talk

Advanced search

Photos of children

(31 Posts)
Ohjustboreoff Sat 30-Mar-19 00:17:36

Who is BU? Me or DH?
DH has an unreasonable hatred of Social Media. Doesn't do Facebook or Twitter etc. I've only just managed to get him on WhatsApp. We're talking a man in his early 40's not elderly or a technophobe.
Anyway I have moved around a lot in my life so am not anywhere near family and most of my good friend are miles/countries away, this includes some family. When I had DC's I put a few pictures on FB and DH went mad, saying that he didn't want strangers or peado's looking at pictures of our children. I tried to explain I had the highest security settings and only my friends could see them but it was a firm NO!
So I said ok, no pics on Social Media.
I got a text message from him yesterday saying that he can't believe I've gone against his wishes. I have a KidStart account that DH is linked to and on our DC's accounts I've tagged a picture of them. I've tried to explain that the account is like a bank account and has the same security measure but he is insistent that I remove the picture from online. I've ignored him so far but he's now been in a mood for 2 days.
I've accepted his no social media rule but I think he's BU with the KidStart account and I feel like taking a stand. Thoughts???

AnemoneAnenome Sat 30-Mar-19 11:05:58

We tend to go with the opinion of the more cautious parent. Unless both parents are happy it doesn't happen.

I don't know why you would "make a stand" about them having a photo only you can see. What do you or they gain from it? Seems a daft thing to fight about. There's no harm in taking a more conservative line on this.

ScreamScreamIceCream Sat 30-Mar-19 11:12:51

@OneBILLIONDollars my nephews and nieces when they were in their mid to late teens went through and deleted photos and posts. They then asked their parents and any relatives to do the same. Luckily most of their parents and relatives hadn't posted a lot of photos. (I hadn't posted any.) This was so they could minimise their on-line presence as they heard it could be used against them if they posted too much and also if they didn't have one especially when looking for jobs.

OneBILLIONDollars Sat 30-Mar-19 11:20:01

@ScreamScreamIceCream that's a perfect example of why we shouldn't do it. There are alternative means of sharing photos that aren't public. I'm on some baby led weaning pages on FB and people are constantly sharing photos of their babies eating! In a public page! I just don't understand it...

SleepingSloth Sat 30-Mar-19 13:42:05

None of the children are identified, and I doubt many of them have sought permission from parents to put their children's pictures on there.

Both ofMy children's schools have a form to sign that says whether you are happy or not for your child's photos to be on their website, Twitter, newsletter and prospectus. I'm sure all schools do this.

I don't put any photos of my children online but I do allow the school to. The school photos will only ever be 'positive'....School trips, Duke of Edinburgh Award, achievement assemblies, worshops etc.

Graphista Sat 30-Mar-19 14:12:22

My dd has now left school and yet throughout her schools have always asked permission for this kind of thing and acted accordingly and I'm talking 4 different schools in 3 counties and 2 countries here.

No excuse for schools not being aware and acting appropriately on this

PregnantSea Sun 31-Mar-19 00:01:48

I agree with your DH. I don't put any pictures of my kids up online. As they get older if they decide they want to post pictures of themselves that's fine, but it will be their decision. I'm not taking that decision away from them by doing it when they're too young to consent.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »