Talk

Advanced search

Noisy neighbours

(10 Posts)
TheLoneWolfDies Fri 29-Mar-19 23:41:12

So I suppose this is a little bit of a WWYD and sort of am I being over dramatic.

We recently moved into a new house (November). Pretty much every evening while we are sitting watching TV etc, I always notice a lot of banging and just general loudness from next door.

This isn't something that annoys me at all, it has never woken us or DS up. I just find it really odd and everytime it happens I can't help hoping its not someone being abused.

I could be totally off the mark, I grew up around abuse but I have no idea what it sounds like from the outside.

I haven't spoken to them at all, apart from a quick hello to the wife and kids so I don't even know what they are like. Does anyone have any idea what the banging could actually be? Like a logical explanation for why it would happen every night? The kids are quite young so it isn't hormonal teens.

I tend to over think things too so I know full well I could be being totally over dramatic but every night it worrys me.

WelcomeToGreenvale Fri 29-Mar-19 23:58:36

Cabinets shutting while cooking?

Doors closing?

Children knocking into things?

I have neighbours next door and downstairs and the noises they make are inexplicable! But there must be explanations. Maybe you could note down the banging as it occurs - is it over a half-hour period around dinner time? Or is it constant, almost rhythmic?

TheLoneWolfDies Sat 30-Mar-19 00:06:01

It could be but to me it sounds like it normally comes from upstairs. Our houses are quite well built, I never hear a peep from the neighbours on the other side so it seems odd that its so loud on that side.

Again its not loud to the point of being annoying, just mildly concerning.

Its usually at night after I have put DS to bed, he goes to bed at 8. God, I must sound mad to be bothered by it, I have said it to DP and he just shrugs. I think because I was exposed to abuse as a child, I don't like the thought of it happening to anybody and maybe I'm jumping to that conclusion far too quickly.

WelcomeToGreenvale Sat 30-Mar-19 01:02:50

Maybe they have a bedroom that shares a wall with your living room, albeit above? I know in my place sounds carry through walls like that, a bang on the wall from two floors down sounds like it comes from right next door.

What exactly are you concerned about? A bit of banging at the same time every night would be odd if it was abuse. You don't sound mad at all but if they have kids then their evening routine might involve noise as kids get bathed and put to bed.

I'm not saying you shouldn't worry, it's good that you've got an ear out, but what is actually bothering you? You say banging and noise, but what kind of noise? People noise? Shouting? Furniture noise?

Might be a thicker wall between you and the other-side neighbours, maybe.

TheLoneWolfDies Sat 30-Mar-19 01:25:40

It sounds like someone banging something
, I don't know what exactly. I think I probably definatly am over thinking it, I have a tendancy to do that blush

I'm just glad to get a logical response to I suppose put my mind at ease. I have neverrr heard shouting, thankfully, but DP always has the TV up quite loud.

Thanks for the response, I don't actually know why I'm worried but I have also noticed the wife keeps her head down a lot and seems very quiet, which kind of plays a part, however it could just be her personality.

BitOfFun Sat 30-Mar-19 01:37:28

If you can't hear voices, it's probably unlikely.

troubleswillbeoutofsight Sat 30-Mar-19 05:20:42

I've experienced really loud banging noises from one side of me from two different sets of neighbours. The first male couple were having sex which went on for a couple of hours each time. They moved and I heard loud banging again from the second but single person. It turned out it was him using some gym equipment which would go on for around half an hour at a time, stop then restart again. I found that once I could understand what the loud noises were it didn't bother me, I just used to try to take the dog out at that time! Try asking the neighbours what you're hearing, my neighbours weren't the slightest bit put out when I asked as I was genuinely confused

TheLoneWolfDies Sat 30-Mar-19 07:45:56

troubleswillbeoutofsight did they actually tell you it was sex you were hearing? Fair play to them they sound like my kinda people!😂

troubleswillbeoutofsight Sat 30-Mar-19 07:49:18

Yes they had no problem telling me!

Tryingtogetitright Sat 30-Mar-19 07:50:37

I wonder if it's exercise equipment. Maybe a punchbag?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »