Talk

Advanced search

Birthday fundraisers on Facebook

(21 Posts)
Lludmilla Fri 29-Mar-19 20:50:14

I feel like I'm being a nasty cow even saying this, and I'm not disputing for one second that raising money for charitable causes is a good thing to do. If I could afford to I'd give to most or even all of them, so it's not like I don't care about the issues being fundraised for. But it's really hard if you're short of money, now that these Facebook birthday fundraisers have become a thing on top of the day-to-day fundraisers one comes across, it feels like requests for money (albeit for a good cause) are just constant, and feeling guilty because I just can't afford it seems to be getting pretty constant too. Surely I can't be the only one?

FlashingLights101 Fri 29-Mar-19 20:52:18

I don't think I've ever come across one. Do you mean people are raising money for their own birthdays?! That's pretty... odd!

Marmite27 Fri 29-Mar-19 20:53:28

No, raising money for charity on their birthday.

I bloody hate them!

isseywithcats Fri 29-Mar-19 20:54:36

if i gave to all of them i wouldnt have any money for myself so do what i do wish the friend or relative happy birthday and totally ignore the charity request, that is all it is not a summons

PrinceOfPies Fri 29-Mar-19 20:54:39

I've never seen one but I'd assume it was a ge eral request with no expectations.

Malbecfan Fri 29-Mar-19 20:55:28

Totally agree with you OP. I just had a birthday and ignored all the grabby messages. Most of the charities/good causes are huge ones and the odd £ here or there won't make any difference.

Any charitable giving from me is either in terms of my time or expertise. I play in a lot of concerts raising money for specific local charities. I shop in local charity shops and donate to causes I believe in, not the few that sign up to FB.

Cloudyapples Fri 29-Mar-19 21:01:27

I think the idea with them is that they are asking for a donation instead of a gift? So if you’d usually spend a tenner on someone then you could instead donate it via the fundraiser to their chosen charity. If you’d usually not get them a gift then you shouldn’t feel any obligation to donate.

Elphame Fri 29-Mar-19 21:05:16

I'm sure FB takes a cut too

TroysMammy Fri 29-Mar-19 21:07:01

I see them and I ignore them. I just wish the friend a Happy Birthday.

ellendegeneres Fri 29-Mar-19 21:08:45

My birthday is coming up and Facebook ‘suggested’ I opened a fundraiser for my birthday and had two or three suggested charities listed.

Ok so first off, never heard of these charities. Second- why my birthday? Why not a suggestion to raise funds for a charity close to my heart on ANY day of the year??

I’m a charitable person, but not a single person I’ve seen doing this on their Facebook has even had a pound donated. I’ll donate to something that is meaningful to me in my own time.

Lludmilla Fri 29-Mar-19 21:11:04

I think the idea with them is that they are asking for a donation instead of a gift? So if you’d usually spend a tenner on someone then you could instead donate it via the fundraiser to their chosen charity. If you’d usually not get them a gift then you shouldn’t feel any obligation to donate.

I think that's probably the sentiment too... hard not to feel under any obligation whatsoever, though...

hairypaws Fri 29-Mar-19 21:15:39

I've got a few on mine and I'm just ignoring - I don't like it either. It's as if it's trying to guilt trip us all. My birthday is very soon and it keeps encouraging me to start one. Not a hope in hell.

Iamnobirdandnonetensnaresme Fri 29-Mar-19 21:16:24

Not all the charities are big ones.
I did it for a very small charity that wouldn't normally be noticed . I didn't expect anything from anyone. It is a very easy way of raising awareness. The money my fundraiser made will really really make a difference to my charity.

Nobody is forcing anyone to donate.
Now when schools join in with Red Nose Day/ children inners etc and demand money that's annoying.

MidniteScribbler Fri 29-Mar-19 23:25:44

If I wouldn't normally buy them a gift, I completely ignore it.

DIZZYTIGGER87 Fri 29-Mar-19 23:37:00

Only 1 of my friends has done this (that I noticed anyway) and it was for a charity that no way in hell I would donate too, and actually as I wouldn't normally get her a gift, even if I had agreed with the charity I probably wouldn't have donated.

I don't really use Facebook much anymore and if I could, I'd get rid fully but for now I will exist in the background

TinselAndKnickers Sat 30-Mar-19 00:14:35

And the cheekiest fucker award goes to...

joyfullittlehippo Sat 30-Mar-19 00:23:10

It's a big thing on Facebook.

My issue is that I don't want to give Facebook my credit card information (considering their less than stellar past record of respecting privacy and security), but there's no way to donate without it. I'm happy to go to a charity's own website to donate but no way am I giving Facebook my credit card number.

SparklyLeprechaun Sat 30-Mar-19 00:24:24

See, Tinsel, I think that's a really honest fundraiser. I'd rather give a gift to a friend who said that then to my virtue signallers friends who fundraise for charity but never give a penny themselves.

Sparklesocks Sat 30-Mar-19 01:02:31

I have seen them on fb, but nobody has ever sent me one directly so I don’t feel obligated to donate. If they just post on their wall and it’s not a cause I have a connection to then i just ignore.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Sat 30-Mar-19 01:14:26

@TinselAndKnickers now that's one I would contribute to rather than all the virtue signalling.

Scroll past them OP - I never ever see anyone with any money raised on them.

TinselAndKnickers Sat 30-Mar-19 09:39:57

She posted one for Alzheimer's first and raised £10 then decided it was better for a holiday grin found it funny

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »