Talk

Advanced search

Dyspraxia?

(15 Posts)
Chocoholic26 Fri 29-Mar-19 15:35:09

Hello, feeling a bit confused. My son’s nursery has highlighted this week that he’s very clumsy and is continually falling over. This week alone he has scraped his face and hurt his knee. They seem concerned. They didn’t really go into any sort of detail until I questioned them (I’m a teacher) about possible dyspraxia. They said no they didn’t think that was the cause. So I’m just feeling a bit confused to why they are concerned? I suggested perhaps taking him to get his eyesight tested, and again they said no they didn’t think that was needed. I’m going to get it checked anyway but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar with their children and could enlighten me as to what they think may be wrong? I don’t find him clumsy at home and neither does his private nursery (school nursery is concerned). If he needs extra support in any way I’d love to get it for him but just unsure what they are meaning?

ChocolateCrisp Fri 29-Mar-19 15:47:19

Arse covering.
Someone is pushing him.
Growth spurt and not used to his new size.
Ear infection.
Eye issue.
Dopey from nap.
Because a leaf blew past the window.

ChocolateCrisp Fri 29-Mar-19 15:48:27

Oh, are his shoes/slippers the right size?

hazeyjane Fri 29-Mar-19 15:55:19

Did they make any suggestions about what it could be, even if only implied....

sometimes kids can be clumsy because they are over tired? Is his footwear suitable for running around outside? Do they fit well?

Did they say it was juat falling or other difficulties in area of physical development....catching ball? Riding trikes? Running with an odd gait etc?

Did they suggest any next steps of how they would help him with gross motor skills?

goose1964 Fri 29-Mar-19 16:07:11

Do get his eyesight checked. This sounds like DD. Her problem is down to an undeveloped muscle by her eye and as a result has no depth perception so she can't judge how far away things are.

She has improved as she got older but still walks into things

Blackberrybunnet Fri 29-Mar-19 16:15:05

Have a look at Madeleine Portwood's book "Developmental Dyspraxia", you will see a list of indicators, and also things you can do to help if you think it appropriate to do so.

Chocoholic26 Fri 29-Mar-19 17:40:01

Great, thanks everyone, I’ll check these things. As far as I’m aware his shoes are fitted correctly but will maybe take him to a different place to ensure this. Going to book
An appointment with the opticians too. They didn’t mention anything else re physical development and from my experience with working with children I can’t say I’ve noticed anything untoward either (I know it’s more difficult with your own children). I should have asked what strategies they are putting in place to help his gross motor skills but I didn’t think at the time. Will definitely do that though. In all honestly, I feel like he’s just being a kid, running around having fun. If it’s not though I’m totally prepared to do everything I can to help him. Thanks

DareDevil223 Fri 29-Mar-19 18:49:48

My son is dyspraxic (he's grown up now) and it was spotted when he was in reception because of the big difference in his reading(very good) and his writing (terrible).

It manifested itself as difficulty with motor skills and executive function rather than 'clumsiness' or falling over. H struggle with tying laces, learning to ride a bike and organising himself etc.

We did occupational therapy with him and he learned to cope very well. He did brilliantly at school and university by the way and he's now a maths teacher smile

LIZS Fri 29-Mar-19 18:56:33

Check out the Dyspraxia Foundation website which lists age appropriate motor skills and areas of development. Ie. Does he walk evenly and climb stairs well, jump, kick a ball, throw and catch, have sensory issues, attempt buttons, zips and shoe fastenings, use toilet and wash hands, follow instructions and remember what to do next when making things, pedal a trike ? Definitely check hearing and vision to rule those out. He is still young to be assessed formally but you will also find ideas there for activities which may help.

Chocoholic26 Fri 29-Mar-19 20:12:00

Great thank you, lots to look out for smile

Jamhandprints Fri 29-Mar-19 20:15:28

Unless it's a school nursery the staff are probably very young and have no clue what they're talking about. They probably don't even know what dyspraxia is. Don't pay any attention.

Chocoholic26 Fri 29-Mar-19 20:43:35

It is a school nursery with a mixture of both experienced and young. Will start with getting hearing and sight checked to rule them out first I think. I’ve just been doing some research and in my opinion and with my teacher hat on I really don’t think he has dyspraxia thanks everyone

duckduckgoose2 Fri 29-Mar-19 20:47:34

My dd has been mentioned as clumsy by all the 3 nurseries she’s attended - for comparison and often falls down stairs at home and bangs into things if not watched carefully. We’ve had her eyes tested and they seemed to think an issue on the first test but dilation test said fine.

I would give more weight to a school nursery if they’ve concerns about coping at school where ratios are lower and the setting is less child proofed.

NoCryingInEngineering Fri 29-Mar-19 20:48:19

Has he grown? My DS spends a week falling over his own shadow every 4 months or so and it's always when he's just had a growth spurt. It's like he has to relearn where his feet are relative to his head!

hazeyjane Sat 30-Mar-19 07:58:31

Unless it's a school nursery the staff are probably very young and have no clue what they're talking about. They probably don't even know what dyspraxia is. Don't pay any attention.

Can I just say this is very much not my experience of early years settings where I live. The preschool my son attended was amazing in supporting his complex needs. I now work there and we have a high number of children with a variety of complex needs, we attend training, work closely with professionals and parents and are a very experienced team.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »