Talk

Advanced search

To think leg cast won't be on long enough?

(9 Posts)
TerryLovesYoghurt Fri 29-Mar-19 15:04:07

Broke my fibula a few mms above the ankle 3 weeks ago this Saturday.
Was initially put in a walking boot for the first few days, then was put in a half cast as the swelling was horrendous. 2 weeks post break, a proper plaster cast was put on (this time last Friday).

Been for check up with fracture consultant today who has arranged for my cast to be removed without a further X Ray in just 10 days time (no x Ray was done today either)..
My original consultant appt stated that I'd be in plaster for 6 weeks. I'm now a little concerned that my leg just won't be ready! When this cast comes off, it'll be 4 weeks and 2 days since the fracture happened and I'm under strict instructions for non weight bearing until cast is removed.

Has anyone broken their leg and been in a cast for as short time as I will have been? I'm paranoid the cast is going to come off, I won't be x rayed, will be sent on my merry way to look after my two young DC's (whilst pregnant) and risk stressing the fracture before it's ready and causing more damage!

I thought the standard procedure for broken bones was at least 6 weeks in plaster? Just over two weeks in proper plaster doesn't seem long enough at all...

redwoodmazza Fri 29-Mar-19 15:13:24

I've not broken a leg but here's a link from NHS:-

www.nhs.uk/conditions/broken-leg/

Lougle Fri 29-Mar-19 15:16:20

I think recently, that there is more awareness of the harm that immobilising a limb causes. When DD1 had her cast on her leg, after 4 weeks she couldn't weight bear without significant pain and her leg turned almost 90° to the right when she did because of muscle wastage. It took a long time for her leg to straighten.

SarahAndQuack Fri 29-Mar-19 15:16:26

My mum broke her ankle at Christmas and also got wildly differing statements about how long she'd be in plaster from different people. I think she was four weeks, maybe five, in the cast, but it was a very bad break.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 29-Mar-19 15:17:49

Odd that they haven't x-rayed or aren't planning to! I had an x-ray to check progress of healing.

NicoAndTheNiners Fri 29-Mar-19 15:19:05

I've broken my fibula and it was never casted. Only 14% of your body weight goes through your fibula, the rest through your tibia. So I think they think it can often be ok with a CAM boot.

TerryLovesYoghurt Fri 29-Mar-19 15:33:56

I had an X-ray before the plaster cast was put on last Friday, but no follow up x Ray today and apparently no X-ray in 10 days time when they plan to remove the cast. Something about only being in plaster for just over two weeks doesn't seem right to me. I guess the professionals know what they're doing but I can't wrap my head around the fact my leg will be fully healed 4 weeks after it was broken.

Divgirl2 Fri 29-Mar-19 15:49:52

It won't be fully healed, but it will be healed enough to let you start to use it again. If it's immobilised too long the muscle wastes and the bone wastes, there's more need for physio etc.

Just seems strange because they used to have people in casts for much longer, but the current thinking is to immobilise for as little as possible. Then gentle use (as much as possible).

ohmydaysagain Fri 29-Mar-19 15:54:17

I broke my foot in 3 places I was in a cast for 4 weeks and walking shoe thing for 4weeks. They did an X-ray when I had the plaster off and when they decided I could throw the shoe.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: