Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if anyone actually ever wins magazine competitions?

(103 Posts)
cricketmum84 Fri 29-Mar-19 11:06:34

I'm always doing the puzzles in Take a break, chat etc and have done for years and never won anything sad

Aibu to think that Marie H from Chorley who won £500 and Annie W from London and suchlike are made up people???

Has anyone ever won from completing the puzzles and submitting their answers?

womandear Sun 31-Mar-19 22:21:13

Yup, have won quite a few over the years including holidays!

OMGIwonacar Sun 31-Mar-19 22:19:29

Love these stories. I won a..... Yep you've guess it. Car. Thanks Mumsnet ( and a laptop!)

Rosieposy4 Sun 31-Mar-19 21:59:10

A few ( lot of ) years ago now but I won a years supply of horse feed from a magazine competition
The judge/owner if the feed company said I was the only entrant who correctly answered how often a horse chews per hour of eating 😀

KC225 Sun 31-Mar-19 21:32:45

About 20 years ago, it was part of my job to go through home decor mags and look if the company I worked.for had been mentionrd or if any of its products were featured. I used a supply not the free postcards you would get in cinemas and pubs and I would do all the giveaways - we have 6 of these giveaway, name and address to XYZ. I put them all through the company franking machine. I won loads of stuff.

ScruffGin Sun 31-Mar-19 20:50:08

I used to do quite well with local radio competitions (cinema tickets, new phone, £250 DIY vouchers, £500 local hifi store vouchers etc), but now they've all merged it's much more difficult, as more people enter.

I remember winning a jumper in a pony magazine when I was young, the main prize was a riding lesson with a famous horse rider. They sent me a jumper in size L, when I was about 8, it was big for my size 14 mum, let alone me!

JaceLancs Sun 31-Mar-19 19:42:18

I won amazon vouchers

ZippyBungleandGeorge Sun 31-Mar-19 19:33:15

My uncle won a luxury holiday to Beijing with Olympics tickets (or was a long time ago)

randomchap Sun 31-Mar-19 18:53:50

I won a trip to see Hello Dolly when I was 14. I have no idea why I entered that specific competition. My mum enjoyed the night out though.

SocksAndHugsAndSausageRolls Sun 31-Mar-19 18:41:55

My (male) cousin won a huge Christmas hamper from Take a Break, he used to do every competition in every issue though.

I won a crate of Metz one week and a copy of The Rocky Horror Picture Show the next from the Graun TV guide <happy times >

cricketmum84 Sun 31-Mar-19 17:19:01

Pat Butcher socks 😂😂😂

Bunbunbunny Sun 31-Mar-19 14:40:05

I won a comp in a soap mag, tickets to panto and Pat Butcher socks, Danny Dyer Mug and a couple of autobiographies.

My DH won a trip to Washington on the radio as well

bridgetreilly Sun 31-Mar-19 10:11:01

I did also win a photo competition but it was a legit one. A local company, photoshoot plus two prints. I didn't need the prints (because I needed headshots for author promo) so we negotiated a reduced rate for a CD of half a dozen suitable shots instead. It was great.

FairfaxAikman Sun 31-Mar-19 09:21:44

Many eons ago I won a VHS box set of the final trilogy of Only Fools and Horses.

More recently I won an iPad mini in a radio competition.

cricketmum84 Sun 31-Mar-19 07:56:55

Re the "free" photo shoot prizes, yes definitely a scam! My sister won one a year or so ago. The pictures were absolutely extortionate. (Think 12 month payment plan levels of extortionate)

A friend of hers entered a competition run by the same company a few weeks ago. And guess what! She won the free photo shoot too!

PositiveVibez Sat 30-Mar-19 23:32:34

A consultant I used to work with entered slogan competitions.

She won shit loads.

The big prizes I remember was a Magnet kitchen and the guardian ran a competition to win the infamous duck House bought by an MP for his second home.

She worked for a canal boat charity which helped wayward kids and she donated it and I think they flogged it for charity.

She said she used to attend get togethers for these slogan winners and they were all known by the competitions they won - i.e she was the duck House woman.

Urgh2019 Sat 30-Mar-19 23:28:18

I’ve won 2 holidays abroad from magazines, however it was more than 14 years ago and although I’ve tried since I’ve had nothing.

Chesterado Sat 30-Mar-19 23:22:00

When I was 14 I won a years subscription to Smash Hits! Magazine.

DD has won two giant teddies and a dinosaur.

PolaDeVeboise Sat 30-Mar-19 17:33:34

My Mum won a holiday to Croatia a couple of years ago with Take a Break. I have also won a holiday, but it was on Virgin Radio years ago.

MissUGirl Sat 30-Mar-19 16:57:46

I won a family photography session a few years back. We had to pay for the prints but the shoot was free!

Oh dear… I suspect everyone who entered the competition won this "prize".

Greyhound22 Sat 30-Mar-19 16:34:21

Oh my fun emojis are on strike!

Greyhound22 Sat 30-Mar-19 16:34:03

That was meant to have  on the end!

Greyhound22 Sat 30-Mar-19 16:33:24

I dunno what gives you that idea SilverySurfer

SilverySurfer Sat 30-Mar-19 15:36:28

Greyhound22 I could be wrong but despite your name I'm getting the impression that you might be interested in horses grin

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Sat 30-Mar-19 14:18:00

Talking of competitions where not many people entered, I remember as an older child, my parents and I enjoyed listening to a somewhat niche-interest late-evening local radio programme, where they sometimes had a phone-in competition for a relatively inexpensive prize (two tickets to a local amateur theatre production or a book or CD). If you called, got through and answered the question correctly, you would win it.

The DJ/presenter would ask a question and then, receiving no calls, would periodically give more and more 'clues' to the answer - eventually more or less giving it away - as it was 'apparently' proving a bit too tricky for people.

No it wasn't - it was because there was only a handful of people listening and the prize wasn't much worth having!

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Sat 30-Mar-19 14:02:57

I once featured in my local paper two weeks running after I got through to the last 35 or so people who were in the running to potentially win a huge cash prize in a national competition, before the live final knock-out round.

Week 1: "Local resident COULD win £1million!!!!!!"

Week 2: "Local resident didn't win £1million"

grin grin grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »