Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if anyone actually ever wins magazine competitions?

(103 Posts)
cricketmum84 Fri 29-Mar-19 11:06:34

I'm always doing the puzzles in Take a break, chat etc and have done for years and never won anything sad

Aibu to think that Marie H from Chorley who won £500 and Annie W from London and suchlike are made up people???

Has anyone ever won from completing the puzzles and submitting their answers?

Pootles34 Fri 29-Mar-19 11:09:14

Yes my mum won an amazing 3 day spa experience - can't remember which one. I think it must have been worth close to 1k, it was 2 nights in a posh suite, treatments etc.

ShannonRockallMalin Fri 29-Mar-19 11:11:25

Strangely enough I was thinking about this earlier when I was putting my gym trainers on. About 20 years ago I won a competition in a fitness magazine and got a pair of trainers, a bag and various other bits and bobs. I was a student at the time and very chuffed!

Cornishmum00 Fri 29-Mar-19 11:12:48

I won argos vouchers about 10 years ago

Instantreplay Fri 29-Mar-19 11:13:02

An acquaintance of mine recently won a weekend break to a European city courtesy of Take a Break magazine.
I’ve never won anything though 🙄

LosingLola Fri 29-Mar-19 11:15:29

I won tickets to a theme park a few years ago

Chouetted Fri 29-Mar-19 11:17:29

Yes, I won a crossword competition for £100.

I only entered it to prove my mum wrong - she had been saying the same as you, that noone ever really wins. Most satisfying argument I've ever won, to be honest.

LizB62A Fri 29-Mar-19 11:25:29

Yes, I've won a few

Myfanwyprice Fri 29-Mar-19 11:27:12

I won Take That tickets through Smash Hits a very long time ago!

mummyofdaughters Fri 29-Mar-19 11:34:37

I won a family photography session a few years back. We had to pay for the prints but the shoot was free!

aposterhasnoname Fri 29-Mar-19 11:34:58

My gran used to win all the time, she was forever giving away stuff she’d won. Had a fair few cash wins too.

cricketmum84 Fri 29-Mar-19 12:38:52

Ooh you are all filling me with hope! Best get these answers registered. I'll come back if I win anything!

Worriedwart18 Fri 29-Mar-19 12:45:41

Not a magazine but I won a holiday with Walkers crisps back in 2016. The one where you collected codes and they gave you letters to spell out a destination.

I got Munich or Nice. I decided to swap it for the £1,500 voucher instead. Won it a week before our wedding and used it for our honeymoon a few months later!

ShitAtScarbble Fri 29-Mar-19 12:47:29

I won £250 from Chat magazine and £250 of Waitrose vouchers from TV Choice.

Oysterbabe Fri 29-Mar-19 12:47:32

I won a slumber party kit from Just 17 magazine about 25 years ago. My sister wins stuff all the time but she enters literally hundreds of competitions a week. She's won loads of really good stuff, most of which she flogs on ebay.

Superfragile Fri 29-Mar-19 12:48:01

@worriedwart18 so pleased to hear someone real won the walkers crisps, I tried so hard to win that one, made everyone on my family only buy walkers 🙄😂

Londonmummy66 Fri 29-Mar-19 12:49:56

I won an expensive dinner service once - not long before our wedding so that was one thing off the gift list.

thetemptationofchocolate Fri 29-Mar-19 12:50:10

I won £50 once from a Take a Break puzzle magazine. I was very surprised as I too had suspected the winners' names were made up.

MsHopey Fri 29-Mar-19 12:54:33

I won £500s worth of protein powders and myprotein merchandise from Mens Health magazine! My DH was very happy.

BarkandCheese Fri 29-Mar-19 12:54:49

I won a vip all expenses paid trip to Goodwood festival of speed, which was fantastic as DH is a big motor sports fan. I was a serious comper at the time though, entering 500 plus comps a week though. I won lots of other smaller prizes too but not all were magazine comps.

If you really want to win something I found the best bet is tickets for local events. There’s only a limited amount of people who live close enough to bother to enter so the odds are dramatically reduced. Local listings websites, newspapers and magazines are where you’ll find that kind of thing advertised.

HomeForever Fri 29-Mar-19 13:18:14

My DS has won tickets to a football match from a magazine. Likely not many entered.

Calzone Fri 29-Mar-19 13:22:01

I was thinking this earlier.

I think it would be a great article for a paper or magazine to see what people win.

I would also love to read an article about who gets the fancy jobs that are advertised......caretaker for an island in the Bahamas or the one I read this week about working for NASA; sleeping and watching tv for 2 months and earning £14k.

Screw Brexit......

halcyondays Fri 29-Mar-19 13:29:26

I won £500 from a magazine comp once. I've also won prizes in online comps.

gokartdillydilly Fri 29-Mar-19 13:32:09

Years ago I worked in the promotions dept for a leading women's mag and yes, the entries were logged and selected at random by someone in another department by ruffling through all the sheets and pointing at a name/address with their eyes shut. Hi tech or what!

MontanaSkies Fri 29-Mar-19 13:33:43

I used to work for a magazine and sometimes used to overhear a colleague phoning up lucky winners to tell them. Usually they were really suspicious or thought they were being scammed - she'd be there for ages going "No, you're the winner! No you don't have to pay anything, you've won!" etc.

So yes, people can and do win things, keep the faith!

vampirethriller Fri 29-Mar-19 13:36:03

I won Argos vouchers and a fancy vileda mop from Take a Break and I know a woman who won the car when they still had one as a prize.

Lllot5 Fri 29-Mar-19 14:00:06

My former work colleague won a conservatory! However she lived in second floor flat smile

cricketmum84 Fri 29-Mar-19 14:09:55

Loving these comments! Especially the people who worked for the magazines smile

I will keep entering for now, maybe I'm just not a very lucky person. The only thing I've ever won was a noddy VHS when I was 10.

LimeKiwi Fri 29-Mar-19 14:24:07

I won £50 on That's Life! magazine's spot the difference competition a few years ago grin so people do win!
Got to be in it to win it, that's what I say.

Twotome Fri 29-Mar-19 14:38:35

My mum won a trip to Florida around 35 years ago!

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Fri 29-Mar-19 23:44:02

I used to regularly win cinema tickets from the Big Issue Cymru. I bought every issue (can't remember if it was weekly or fortnightly) and entered the competition every time. I think I won about 9 or10 times over the course of one academic year. It's not even like it took any great skill really - it was just a simple wordsearch.

It probably helped that, although the magazine was sold all throughout Wales, there were only three participating cinemas - one each in Cardiff and Swansea and a third where I was up north.

Where I was, it was just a small local cinema with two screens and they didn't change the films very often - and the freebies were only valid for the second smaller screen (which would keep the same film on for as long as people still kept coming to see it), not the bigger one that showed the (relatively) new films; so I ended up either seeing the same film twice (free tickets expired before the film would change) or giving them away to friends. Nevertheless, that was a fantastic cinema - it had history, individuality and soul of the kind that you never get at the big identikit multiplexes. There's an Aldi there now instead.

It starts to get ridiculous when sending off a competition entry feels like posting off a standard order for something and you actually get surprised when a prize doesn't arrive within the week grin

Mummy428 Fri 29-Mar-19 23:51:11

I entered a series of competitions from the Evening Standard at the same time, one to win a flat in London, the other to win an iPod. I won the iPod, felt a bit guilty to be disappointed that I didn't win the flat!

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Fri 29-Mar-19 23:55:42

It wasn't a magazine, but I was bored waiting in our local chemist's shop whilst my Mum took aaaages (well, it seemed that way to a young-ish child) and I found a Tommy Tippee competition and idly filled in an entry just to pass the time, not knowing what the prize was. I popped it in the box and promptly forgot about it as soon as Mum finally finished at the counter.

A few weeks later, I was sent in on an errand (it was only across the road) and they said "Oooh, have you come in for your prize?!" My parents knew but had kept it a secret.

They brought out the first prize - a massive teddy bear - and bundled him into the arms of a perplexed but absolutely delighted me. He was nearly as big as I was!

He is beautiful and now lives on my own young son's bed, giving big bear hugs on demand smile

MsChicken Sat 30-Mar-19 00:00:27

I won a very fancy pants leather bag in 2017 when I signing up for a newsletter on a website. It's a lovely bag but it immediately felt like I'd scuppered any chance of ever winning the lottery.

cricketmum84 Sat 30-Mar-19 00:01:25

@WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll aww that's lovely!!

My daughter once one first prize on the teddy raffle, she was only about 4 maybe and the teddy was twice the size of her! She could sit on its knee and snuggle up, her little face when she realised she had won 😍

cricketmum84 Sat 30-Mar-19 00:01:54

*won not one

cricketmum84 Sat 30-Mar-19 00:02:29

For anyone who commented to say they have won on the magazine puzzles - did you check the next issue for your names printed??

BloodsportForAll Sat 30-Mar-19 00:05:19

My friend does comping, she wins all kinds of stuff, uses some herself, saves some for family Xmas and bday presents, sells some, gives some away to people who could do with whatever. It's always worth entering things.

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Sat 30-Mar-19 00:10:45

I won the iPod, felt a bit guilty to be disappointed that I didn't win the flat! grin

Conversely, I've entered more than a few competitions where I haven't really fancied the top prize, but quite hoped that, should I win (spoiler: I didn't), I would win a less major prize.

Quite often, the big headline prize is an amazing exotic foreign holiday which, although clearly a fabulous prize - and most people's dream - really isn't my thing at all. British seaside for me, thanks. Invariably, it will be worth thousands of pounds, be non-transferable/exchangeable and come with the barrage of publicity and attention that an introvert hates.

Pretty much the same for the gleaming new second-prize BMW. Lovely, yes, but I'd feel so strange driving it and would also lose the great sense of freedom that only ever having old bangers brings, where you couldn't care less about another scratch, stain or scuff mark.

However, one of the 10 relatively small-fry new tellies or £500 supermarket vouchers would do me juuust fine, thanks - and likely be simply posted out to me with no fanfare or media circus.

SarahAHull Sat 30-Mar-19 00:12:48

Not a magazine but I won a £5 voucher for subscribing to a newsletter

5foot5 Sat 30-Mar-19 00:14:04

I recently won the Ladygram Challenge in The Lady magazine. The first I knew was when I read my name as the winner in the next edition. I gave a little shriek and startled DH.

The prize was actually a bit of a let down. It used to be a hamper from Fortnum & Mason or Bettys. I got, something else. Still it was quite a thrill to win.

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Sat 30-Mar-19 00:14:54

@cricketmum84 - That's really sweet too - there's very little that's cuter than a tiny child being swamped by a huge teddy!

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Sat 30-Mar-19 00:17:49

For anyone who commented to say they have won on the magazine puzzles - did you check the next issue for your names printed??

I did, but they never printed them. I suppose there wasn't a desperate urge for other readers to know who'd won the relatively minor prizes to see a free film on the B-screen.

Probably as well, though, as it might well have looked highly dodgy if people kept noticing the same name there most weeks!

KnobJockey Sat 30-Mar-19 00:17:57

My nan won one of the star prizes from Take a Break last year- a trip for 2 to San Francisco with £500 spending money. She couldn't face the flight so my aunt and uncle took the trip and she kept the £500. She does take a break, that's life and chat every week by post, and she's won a fair few bits over the years but that's the biggest- probably worth about £2500 as they had the choice of dates and hotels up to a certain price.

BitOfFun Sat 30-Mar-19 00:18:30

There are professional "compers" who enter dozens of things every week and make a pretty tidy packet, I believe!

DiscoMoo Sat 30-Mar-19 00:18:40

I’ve won tickets to a small festival via a Facebook ‘like and comment’ competition.

I know someone who has won a trip to New Zealand to watch the rugby, also via a FB comp to get as many likes as possible.

BitOfFun Sat 30-Mar-19 00:20:06

Like this woman shock

Koalablue Sat 30-Mar-19 00:31:30

Ive won a stuffed chicken that had the chicken pox.
Also won a blue tooth speaker they valued it high in price, i valued it low. Very low.

cricketmum84 Sat 30-Mar-19 00:34:19

@Koalablue

* Ive won a stuffed chicken that had the chicken pox*

You need to explain this grin

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Sat 30-Mar-19 00:35:43

When I was at university, a small cafe opened up and they had a gimmick promotion whereby each visit would gain you an entry into a competition to win a computer right at the end of the term - the final term of the academic year.

I really wanted it (of course I did!) and went there loads (it was a very nice, reasonably-priced cafe regardless, to be fair), but I wasn't successful. One of my friends, on the other hand, ate in there once and - you've guessed it - he DID win it. I wouldn't say he gloated, but he didn't hold back in reminding me of his big win for a few days.

The thing was, though, it was a standard big old late-90s desktop PC and he was from NI. He lived very minimally and had planned to go back home on the ferry with a rucksack on a cheap foot passenger fare. This wasn't possible now, so his Dad had to pay for a much more expensive return vehicle ticket and then drive all the way there and back as well to fetch him, his tiny bag of essentials and his massive new still-boxed-up computer.

To top it all off, he discovered when he got home and unpacked it that it didn't have ANY software or operating system on it at all. Back then, whilst the Internet was only just starting to gain widespread popularity and general basic PC knowledge was much less ubiquitous than it is now, even finding the compatible software was no easy task - and the price was about the same as the actual computer again.

I didn't feel quite so bad for not winning it after that....

Britneyspearsatemytoast Sat 30-Mar-19 00:48:25

I'd like to know who wins the competitions at the end of the X factor. Who is the person who now owns Simon Cowell's car etc??

SilverySurfer Sat 30-Mar-19 01:26:52

I won a 5 star holiday for two to Mauritius from a Waitrose magazine. Never won anything from Take a Break but don't buy it often.

LadyB49 Sat 30-Mar-19 02:55:01

I won in a local Sunday newspaper. Overnight in a 5* hotel, 5 items of Angel perfume, and 5 items of Alien perfume, plus £100. We used the hotel when going to a Lee Evans show that we had already booked.

Also won top theatre tickets from the same local newspaper.

mcjx Sat 30-Mar-19 03:05:55

@Britneyspearsatemytoast I'd like to know that too!

user1457017537 Sat 30-Mar-19 03:10:05

I know charity auctions are nearly always rigged. You know that table that wins everything, it’s not luck.

Koalablue Sat 30-Mar-19 05:21:01

Cricketmum84
It was a promotion for the newly developed chicken pox vaxine. It was bright yellow with red spots all over it.

MaverickSnoopy Sat 30-Mar-19 10:04:51

My aunt used to do lots of these competitions and won loads!!

I once entered a competition which had multiple types of prizes. I was about 19 or 20 and living at home. A box arrived one day with no warning. Suffice to say I was super excited and got to opening it up to see what I'd won. Inside was a year's supply of condoms. With my mum stood next to me I quickly shut the lid and made something up! I wasn't in a relationship and I was mortified that my mum would think I was being incredibly free and easy ordering a year's supply of condoms! There were about 300 in there! I ended up hanging onto some and giving loads away to very pleased friends.

jarviscockatiel Sat 30-Mar-19 10:05:03

When I was at uni, I won a trolley dash from Take A Break. Came in very handy and was great fun.

LimeKiwi Sat 30-Mar-19 10:12:08

@MaverickSnoopy grin mental image of you quickly slamming the lid down and pretending all is normal, nothing to see now lol

Slazengerbag Sat 30-Mar-19 10:28:08

I won tickets to a craft show from a magazine. I also won a pringles competywhen I was on FB

EvaHarknessRose Sat 30-Mar-19 10:46:49

I won a mumsnet competition once, but didn’t see the message until about a year later so I never got my prize sad.

It was about £100 of Boden vouchers I think sad sad.

I emailed them but never got a reply.

Ariela Sat 30-Mar-19 11:19:08

I won a ragwort fork from a competition in an equine magazine. Problem was they didn't tell me I won. I had a card left while I was on holiday from DPD, when I got back the parcel had been returned to sender. Had no idea what it was, or who sent this parcel so couldn't follow it up.
Saw name in list of winners in next magazine, rang when nothing had arrived 2 or 3 weeks later and asked when it would be sent, they said they'd investigate as it HAD been sent, and then they discovered it was this returned parcel. Was told they'd sort it out but half a dozen emails later nothing happened.
So never got the ragwort fork. Wonder who DID get it?!

MissionItsPossible Sat 30-Mar-19 11:40:15

Haven't RTFT but I did my work experience at Closer magazine HQ and ruffled through envelopes to pick out winners for their prizes lol.

One thing I would like to know, though: There is often an email/online vote in addition to a postal vote but as there is one winning entry how are the online votes considered?

Makeusacupoftea Sat 30-Mar-19 12:03:58

I have been lucky - I won a trip to New York from a competition at house of Fraser. A center Parcs break from local newspaper. I used to get my sons to do the competitions in the young telegraph...the youngest won a weekend break to London to a film premiere ( wind in the willows) and lunch afterwards at planet Hollywood with the stars.
I have won loads of day out, books and dvds - all tend to be from local papers.never won from take a break/ chat etc. Oh I also won my weight in Ben and Jerry’s vouchers- given in vouchers .also had vouchers for a years suply of Guinness.....but not vouchers for a years supply of lucozade as I found out when a lorry parked outside unloading pallets!
Used to be lots of competitions to enter pre internet .

ScreamScreamIceCream Sat 30-Mar-19 12:14:49

I've won a watch from a now defunct women's mag. It just turned up in the post.

I know a couple of people who have won The Times crossword.

bridgetreilly Sat 30-Mar-19 12:41:54

Most recently, I've won an £850 sewing machine and a lightbox. Also a spa break a few years ago.

bridgetreilly Sat 30-Mar-19 12:43:43

Oh and a personalised Emma Bridgewater teapot and mugs, which I nearly didn't get because I assumed it was a promo email so didn't open the first one they sent. They did email again to say I only had 24 hours left to claim the prize, so I was very glad I opened that one!

Greyhound22 Sat 30-Mar-19 12:46:35

I used to enter quite a lot as a bit of a hobby. I can't remember everything I have won but quick think:

Saddle (worth £1200)
Horse Rug (worth £120)
Course walk of Burghley
Feed supplement
Collar and lead for my dog
£200 worth of Sebastian hair products
Dozens of tickets for horsey events
Crufts tickets
Really nice riding coat
DVD
Set of Organic socks

Entering the odd one often doesn't get you far. You need to be dedicated and spend about half an hour a day. Also say you fancy going to an event - Google 'tickets to crufts competition' or 'win tickets to...' and loads will come up - from magazines you've never even heard of. I used to quite enjoy it. I've started doing it again lately - I normally sit at my desk and eat my lunch at work so I use that time.

MaverickSnoopy Sat 30-Mar-19 12:47:24

@LimeKiwi yup that was literally it!

TheChippendenSpook Sat 30-Mar-19 12:50:55

I won £250 worth of spa vouchers in a competition on Netmums, 8 years ago.

speakout Sat 30-Mar-19 12:54:02

I won £1000 in a magazine competition, a fortnight's holiday - all inclusive island hopping to the Seychelles, a week for 4 full board in the Celtic Manor Hotel.

pigsDOfly Sat 30-Mar-19 13:01:36

I know someone who won a television in a Sudoku competition.

Pretty certain would actually be illegal to claim to run a competition and make out someone had won it when no one has.

Chouetted Sat 30-Mar-19 13:14:23

After I won, we did check the next issue for my name, and it was there in black and white.

mumofo Sat 30-Mar-19 13:18:49

Not through magazines but I've won things a few times -

Circus tickets, pizza express voucher, a bundle of vamperina toys and lunch box etc from a comp on this forum, a storksac breastfeeding scarf on Instagram and a few other bits but nothing massive like cash or holidays but I just enter as and when and only for things I actually would like for myself.

TheWashingMachine Sat 30-Mar-19 13:29:37

I've won a few things but the best ever was when I was working for an ad agency as a student, there was a children's competition and I had to pick a winner, it was a bicycle, the little boy who won it was over the moon and his family didn't have much. It was such good news to impart.

WhatNow40 Sat 30-Mar-19 13:31:19

I won a MN competition for a free family holiday to Butlins! grin

NoseyParker11 Sat 30-Mar-19 13:36:44

Many years ago I used to work in publishing and one of my jobs was dealing with readers’ complaints. Many of them were to do with competition results.

Some of the ‘compers’ were really obsessive. They’d get arsey if their ‘12 words or less’ entries weren’t picked, go to extremes to prove that their ‘skill and judgment’ answers were more researched than anyone else’s, dispute the qualifications of the judges, allege bias etc etc. Some would threaten legal action.

And we were really careful!

PrincessButtockUp Sat 30-Mar-19 13:49:29

I once won a magazine competition and when they came to take a picture of me receiving the prize the guy mentioned he was doing an article about a relevant subject and I ended up being in the article as well. It was a long time ago though.

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Sat 30-Mar-19 14:02:57

I once featured in my local paper two weeks running after I got through to the last 35 or so people who were in the running to potentially win a huge cash prize in a national competition, before the live final knock-out round.

Week 1: "Local resident COULD win £1million!!!!!!"

Week 2: "Local resident didn't win £1million"

grin grin grin

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Sat 30-Mar-19 14:18:00

Talking of competitions where not many people entered, I remember as an older child, my parents and I enjoyed listening to a somewhat niche-interest late-evening local radio programme, where they sometimes had a phone-in competition for a relatively inexpensive prize (two tickets to a local amateur theatre production or a book or CD). If you called, got through and answered the question correctly, you would win it.

The DJ/presenter would ask a question and then, receiving no calls, would periodically give more and more 'clues' to the answer - eventually more or less giving it away - as it was 'apparently' proving a bit too tricky for people.

No it wasn't - it was because there was only a handful of people listening and the prize wasn't much worth having!

SilverySurfer Sat 30-Mar-19 15:36:28

Greyhound22 I could be wrong but despite your name I'm getting the impression that you might be interested in horses grin

Greyhound22 Sat 30-Mar-19 16:33:24

I dunno what gives you that idea SilverySurfer

Greyhound22 Sat 30-Mar-19 16:34:03

That was meant to have  on the end!

Greyhound22 Sat 30-Mar-19 16:34:21

Oh my fun emojis are on strike!

MissUGirl Sat 30-Mar-19 16:57:46

I won a family photography session a few years back. We had to pay for the prints but the shoot was free!

Oh dear… I suspect everyone who entered the competition won this "prize".

PolaDeVeboise Sat 30-Mar-19 17:33:34

My Mum won a holiday to Croatia a couple of years ago with Take a Break. I have also won a holiday, but it was on Virgin Radio years ago.

Chesterado Sat 30-Mar-19 23:22:00

When I was 14 I won a years subscription to Smash Hits! Magazine.

DD has won two giant teddies and a dinosaur.

Urgh2019 Sat 30-Mar-19 23:28:18

I’ve won 2 holidays abroad from magazines, however it was more than 14 years ago and although I’ve tried since I’ve had nothing.

PositiveVibez Sat 30-Mar-19 23:32:34

A consultant I used to work with entered slogan competitions.

She won shit loads.

The big prizes I remember was a Magnet kitchen and the guardian ran a competition to win the infamous duck House bought by an MP for his second home.

She worked for a canal boat charity which helped wayward kids and she donated it and I think they flogged it for charity.

She said she used to attend get togethers for these slogan winners and they were all known by the competitions they won - i.e she was the duck House woman.

cricketmum84 Sun 31-Mar-19 07:56:55

Re the "free" photo shoot prizes, yes definitely a scam! My sister won one a year or so ago. The pictures were absolutely extortionate. (Think 12 month payment plan levels of extortionate)

A friend of hers entered a competition run by the same company a few weeks ago. And guess what! She won the free photo shoot too!

FairfaxAikman Sun 31-Mar-19 09:21:44

Many eons ago I won a VHS box set of the final trilogy of Only Fools and Horses.

More recently I won an iPad mini in a radio competition.

bridgetreilly Sun 31-Mar-19 10:11:01

I did also win a photo competition but it was a legit one. A local company, photoshoot plus two prints. I didn't need the prints (because I needed headshots for author promo) so we negotiated a reduced rate for a CD of half a dozen suitable shots instead. It was great.

Bunbunbunny Sun 31-Mar-19 14:40:05

I won a comp in a soap mag, tickets to panto and Pat Butcher socks, Danny Dyer Mug and a couple of autobiographies.

My DH won a trip to Washington on the radio as well

cricketmum84 Sun 31-Mar-19 17:19:01

Pat Butcher socks 😂😂😂

SocksAndHugsAndSausageRolls Sun 31-Mar-19 18:41:55

My (male) cousin won a huge Christmas hamper from Take a Break, he used to do every competition in every issue though.

I won a crate of Metz one week and a copy of The Rocky Horror Picture Show the next from the Graun TV guide <happy times >

randomchap Sun 31-Mar-19 18:53:50

I won a trip to see Hello Dolly when I was 14. I have no idea why I entered that specific competition. My mum enjoyed the night out though.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Sun 31-Mar-19 19:33:15

My uncle won a luxury holiday to Beijing with Olympics tickets (or was a long time ago)

JaceLancs Sun 31-Mar-19 19:42:18

I won amazon vouchers

ScruffGin Sun 31-Mar-19 20:50:08

I used to do quite well with local radio competitions (cinema tickets, new phone, £250 DIY vouchers, £500 local hifi store vouchers etc), but now they've all merged it's much more difficult, as more people enter.

I remember winning a jumper in a pony magazine when I was young, the main prize was a riding lesson with a famous horse rider. They sent me a jumper in size L, when I was about 8, it was big for my size 14 mum, let alone me!

KC225 Sun 31-Mar-19 21:32:45

About 20 years ago, it was part of my job to go through home decor mags and look if the company I worked.for had been mentionrd or if any of its products were featured. I used a supply not the free postcards you would get in cinemas and pubs and I would do all the giveaways - we have 6 of these giveaway, name and address to XYZ. I put them all through the company franking machine. I won loads of stuff.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »