Talk

Advanced search

Like a diary but not a diary?

(6 Posts)
HennyPennyHorror Fri 29-Mar-19 10:18:29

Was reading an article today about a woman who found her Grandmother's recipe book in a bag....she found it a fascinating record of life during WW2 in Australia. Not just recipes but shopping lists and other notes of interest.

What other forms of domestic writing could offer similar interest?

darkriver19886 Fri 29-Mar-19 10:22:49

Journals. Even though I would be embarrassed if anyone read mine! Old letters are an interest.

elQuintoConyo Fri 29-Mar-19 10:24:07

A few years ago my mother was having a clear out and gave me a book. She'd written small details of her pregnancy with both me and my sister, then gone on to record weight/height over the years, our first tooth, first day at school and name of our teacher, date of our first periods. All punctuated with different addresses and dates of moving (military family).

All very plainly written, not bullet journaled or scrapbooked to death, nothing pinteresty!

It was given to me with a 'i dont want this any more, and neither does your sister, so do you want it or shall I chuck it?' type vibe hmm

elQuintoConyo Fri 29-Mar-19 10:24:50

...but I cherish it!
(Meant to add that bit!)

PositiveVibez Fri 29-Mar-19 10:28:54

Only really of interest to DD and maybe any future children of hers should she go down that route, but I have kept a book of funny things she has said/done from the age of about 2 up to around 6 years old.

She loves it and every now and again, I'll have a flick through. Brings back some lovely memories.

Lovestonap Fri 29-Mar-19 10:29:00

I don't know if it's domestic writing but comparing a school report of my father (born 1943) which were one word descriptions of each subject mainly 'satisfactory' or 'poor', with a school report of my primary ages children 2 sides of closely written a4 detailing the most positive aspects of their characters and their achievements is so interesting. Gives a real insight into how the value we place on children has grown over the last half century.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: