Talk

Advanced search

Wedding celebrant

(6 Posts)
princesseggo Fri 29-Mar-19 07:37:16

So I recently got married in a registry office with the intention of having a wedding 'ceremony' this coming summer to celebrate with family.
I'm looking to hire a celebrant to read some vows and 'marry' us but prices are around £500 for the Suffolk area.
AIBU in thinking this is such a high price?!
Realistically the celebrant would only be there for around 30 minutes and I can't justify spending that amount of money.
Can anyone recommend anyone in the Suffolk area or just come to my wedding for 30 mins? grin

babyfloof Fri 29-Mar-19 13:33:17

I'm not entirely sure what they do but could you ask a good friend or family member to act as celebrant?

Mouikey Fri 29-Mar-19 13:36:13

That’s the cost! Same here in Surrey.

As it is not legally binding, get a close friend or family member to do it. My friend did the same and had their best man act as celebrant - it was perfect and personal (& cost free!)

Didntwanttochangemyname Fri 29-Mar-19 14:50:40

I agree with PP, since you are already married and it's just for a 'ceremony' get a friend to do it, or get an acquaintance to do it and pretend they are a celebrant?

Azure67 Wed 03-Apr-19 00:06:44

The reason for the high price is that celebrant's annual registration fees and mandatory ongoing professional development is very expensive. Just get a close friend to do it for you, you're already legally married so you don't need a celebrant for this part smile

RavenLG Wed 03-Apr-19 00:09:35

£650 for mine in East Midlands (wedding 2020) however she has come as very highly recommended and to be honest has helped us plan what we wanted as we didn’t have a clue and we haven’t even had a proper meeting with her yet, she’s been great email / phone etc.
If you’re happy with a friend / family member doing it then just go for that option, you could give them the script etc you wanted and personalise yourself.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »