Talk

Advanced search

To invite all Mumsnetters to the Brexit Rally in Parliament Square tomorrow afternoon/evening?

(783 Posts)
SunnyInGrimsby Thu 28-Mar-19 22:21:36

OK, it's doubtful Brexit is going to happen any time soon but definitely worth coming along and standing up for what we voted for.

Very little coverage in the media - unfortunately no full page spreads in the Standard for us....

It will be going on until early evening so still worth turning up if you can't get the day off work. Lots of great speakers including Julia Hartley Brewer, Claire Fox, Kate Hoey et al.

AskingQuestionsAllTheTime Mon 01-Apr-19 14:20:26

I noticed that the pound fell almost that much against the Euro during the evening on which the referendum count was being made, starting well before the first result had been announced and getting really low the following morning. I think it has been reasonably steady -- ie remaining at roughly the same degree of badly down on the rate before that evening -- ever since.

So I suppose "the pound is holding steady against the Euro": it's been that bad for the past two-and-a-half years, but it's been consistently that bad.

LaDilettante Mon 01-Apr-19 11:35:03

@scaryteacher The pound has fallen 12% against the euro since the referendum. That’s a fact, not project fear.

TaMereAPoilDevantPrisu Mon 01-Apr-19 11:22:48

Given Slovakia's new president is likely more liberal than whoever we are lumped with post-May, they probably have more to fear from us than the other way round wink

Helmetbymidnight Mon 01-Apr-19 11:03:33

before the ref, scaryteacher posted a lot about her great concern of turkey joining the Eu andbritain having no say.

i think its to her credit that she realises that she was spreading lies and has now turned her attention to project-fearing about other countries.

MullofKintire Mon 01-Apr-19 09:07:21

I think you'd be surprised as to the result. In 6 years time, you'll have further enlargement, and it will be the Balkans joining, Montenegro, Serbia (sex trafficking, gun running, drugs trafficking with huge amounts of organised crime and little respect for human life) to name but two. That worries me

@scaryteacher....it is clear from your posts that you do have some idea of how the EU works - through the rather distorted lense of the UK military- so you MUST know that no new country can join the EU without all the other MS saying yes to the arrangement.

Your implication that this could somehow be foisted on the UK is a continuation of the blatant lies and deceit that characterised the leave campaign. Why are you posting this stuff?

Alsohuman Mon 01-Apr-19 09:05:47

Bloody Project Fear, the current scenario is worse than anything people accused of that could ever have dreamed of.

bellinisurge Mon 01-Apr-19 08:44:29

Ah yes, Project Fear. Explanation of worst case scenarios is apparently worse than lying. Actual lies. That people fell for: That bus. Bendy bananas. Shit like that.

Acis Mon 01-Apr-19 08:41:17

"Project Fear" is such a lazy meme. If people had said a year ago that three days after the official leaving date we still would have no idea what if any deal we would have for Brexit, they would have had "Project Fear" hurled at them.

If the worries around medication and cancer treatment isotopes are just "Project Fear", scaryteacher, would you care to explain how we are to organise a steady supply in the course of the next 10 days?

Windowsareforcheaters Mon 01-Apr-19 08:03:57

@scaryteacher you seem to be getting confused.

Your point was that the referendum was that the referendum was legal.

I pointed out that illegal activities occurred during the referendum therefore disqualifying the result.

You then said You mean with Project Fear from HMG, and the so well balanced leaflet that the taxpayer funded? - so you now agree with me?

You believe the activities in the campaign made the legally organised but illegally run referendum invalid. Thank you.

woman19 Mon 01-Apr-19 07:07:09

@Hopenotthate
The Brexit Day demonstrations yesterday attracted a range of extremists and ended with the far right looking for a fight - attacking the police, the media, and one another.

twitter.com/hopenothate?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Bestial.

Peregrina Mon 01-Apr-19 00:38:52

My maths is considerably less out than yours - if we crash out without a deal in less than two weeks, I know people dependent on medication, who as yet do not know whether they will be able to obtain it. That is much more important than a lot of if's buts and maybes which might happen in 6, 10, 20 years time.

As for NATO - the usual story is that we have NATO so we don't need an EU army, so I assume you welcome that.

scaryteacher Sun 31-Mar-19 22:58:33

Langrish Montenegro may be sooner as it is now a NATO ally, normally a precursor to EU accession, as is Albania. Serbia may be a tad more problematic, given the bombings.

Peregrina Your maths is out, 2025 or sooner is when the new accessions are to start, and that's in 6 years. I am also concerned about what will happen over the ensuing decades with the EU...aren't you?

As for Project Fear, HMG has been trying that one, and the sky didn't fall in when we voted Leave, interest rates haven't risen hugely, and the pound is holding steady against the Euro.

Windows You mean with Project Fear from HMG, and the so well balanced leaflet that the taxpayer funded?

Langrish Sun 31-Mar-19 19:41:50

Peregrina

The idea that Gove will become PM is astonishing. The only possible silver lining I see, trying to claw something back from this disaster, is that that will really, really piss Johnson off.
Small solace, I know, but I’ll take whatever crumb I can right now.

Peregrina Sun 31-Mar-19 19:33:57

So we will see a flood of Leavers condemning Gove and Johnson as leaders of the campaign which supported breaking electoral law then?

No, thought not some how.

Isitmybathtimeyet Sun 31-Mar-19 17:38:28

The original referendum wasn't illegitimate...it was held by HMG. You may not have liked the campaign's, or the outcome, but the referendum was legal, otherwise it wouldn't have been allowed to run.

The Government's QC admitted in court that the contraventions of electoral law around the referendum meant that had the referendum being legally binding it would have had to have been annulled. It is the ultimate irony that because, legally, this referendum was only advisory and not binding, it therefore was left to stand.

Persimmonn Sun 31-Mar-19 13:43:32

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/26/brexit-whistleblower-shahmir-sanni-no-10-official-outed-me-to-distract-from-claims

Disgusting. The whistleblower had to out himself to his family in Pakistan where being gay is a crime and had to organise security for his family. His personal life had nothing to do with this. Cheap and dirty game. Theresa May should be ashamed of herself.

Alsohuman Sun 31-Mar-19 13:33:38

The Electoral Commission has found the Leave campaign to be illegal and it’s dropped its appeal. In other words, it’s admitted its guilt, what more proof do you want?

Peregrina Sun 31-Mar-19 13:18:42

All Project Fear scaryteacher of what might happen in 20 or 30 years, whereas with No Deal, medicine and food shortages are likely to be a reality in a matter of weeks.

Turkey was trying for something like 35 years to join the EEC/EU and with their human rights record getting absolutely nowhere. Under Erdogan they have decided not to bother.

Windowsareforcheaters Sun 31-Mar-19 11:34:35

scaryteacher

You may not have liked the campaign's, or the outcome, but the referendum was legal, otherwise it wouldn't have been allowed to run

You may be a degree holding professional but you don't understand the basics of law.

During the referendum campaign acts occurred contrary to electoral law and that is why it was illegal.

Langrish Sun 31-Mar-19 11:24:07

Acis

And (poor grammar, I know!) did I just imagine Brexiteers demanding that Our British Parliament should be sovereign and “take back control”.
Well it has, so perhaps they should just STF up and in future be careful what they wish for.

Langrish Sun 31-Mar-19 11:19:44

Scaryteacher

Those countries, like any, won’t be considered for membership until they reform and fulfil the membership criteria.

Which is why Turkey (remember those millions of marauding Turks (80 million, I think he said) Boris warned us would come streaming over our borders, will not be admitted.

Acis Sun 31-Mar-19 11:17:24

There were Leavers moaning in the Mail's Comments section about Parliament taking over control of the Parliamentary process because, and I quote, "Who elected them?"

Acis Sun 31-Mar-19 11:15:47

scaryteacher, the fact that the referendum was run by the government makes no difference whatsoever to the fact that its result is invalidated by the fraud and electoral malpractice for which the Leave campaign was responsible. The government has admitted that, if this had happened in an election the result would have had to be nullified. The only reason it hasn't been is that the Electoral Commission doesn't have the power in relation to a purely advisory vote, which was all this was.

Langrish Sun 31-Mar-19 11:14:36

The BBC’s choice of background music isn’t helping anything though: Land of Hope and Glory vs. Flight of the Valkyrie
😂 or 😡, can’t quite decide! Depends what their motivation is I guess. Do hope its tongue in cheek.

scaryteacher Sun 31-Mar-19 11:13:19

Bloody auto correct, campaigns, not campaign's.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »