Talk

Advanced search

About to lose job/need new direction.

(6 Posts)
Ashana Thu 28-Mar-19 21:33:01

Hi everyone.

I am a happily married 35 year old with three kids aged 3, 7 and 9.

I am currently working part time at a school as a teaching assistant, which I really enjoy. I have been at the school for five years and it fits perfectly around my family commitments.

Yesterday at work, we got told that some of us, who are on temporary contracts won't be getting our contracts renewed, which I am really gutted about. I had gotten really comfortable working there and never thought it would come to this.

Anyway, I now have to start looking for another job but I don't really know what direction I need to go in. Before I had my children I was very career minded, I graduated from a prestigious University with a 2.1 in history and I lived in a city where well paid jobs were easy to come by. I now live in a small town, where there are hardly any local jobs and I would ideally want a job that I can work around my kids.

I was even thinking about starting my own business or doing some work from home, but I don't know what. I was even thinking about doing some courses but I don't know where to start.

My husband has a well paid job and we are mortgage free so there's not much financial pressure but I feel like this is the perfect opportunity for me to get out of my comfort zone and do something worthwhile.

Could anyone maybe suggest some business or job ideas?

DarlingCoffee Fri 29-Mar-19 05:38:28

Why don’t you check out your local adult education centre for courses that might interest you? It could be a good starting point

Ashana Fri 29-Mar-19 13:01:22

Yes I may do that, I'll need to find out where it is first though! I feel like I've not been in the market for job or course hunting for ages and I feel so out of my depth with it all. I had gotten comfortable with what I was doing, but I'm hoping that the bad news may be the start of a new adventure and maybe even a more challenging career.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Fri 29-Mar-19 13:03:22

Make the progression as a SCITT ?

www.ucas.com/teaching-option/school-centred-initial-teacher-training-scitt

Ashana Fri 29-Mar-19 16:24:06

I'd love to train up as a teacher but most courses are full time and I don't think I could manage that with the 3 kids and their routines. My husband works long hours and I have no other support. Working in a school has also opened my eyes up to the amount of work and stress that teachers have. Therefore it is an option I wouldn't consider until my kids are much older.

I would like to continue working in the education setting but just not sure which direction to go in.

Waveysnail Fri 29-Mar-19 16:33:22

Volunteer work for likes of home start?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »