Talk

Advanced search

To think families that have more vehicles than people and no drive are selfish twats!

(173 Posts)
HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Thu 28-Mar-19 18:58:34

Yes I'm looking at you Mr and Mrs Silver cars across the road. There are only two of you, you have no drive and yet you have now got 3 cars (they acquired a new one today) and a van (all of which are silver hence the name).

What the fuck do you need 4 vehicles for you can only physically be driving 2 at a time!

We live on a road which like many others across the country has difficulties regarding parking, only a few houses have drives. So why would you think it is reasonable to have 4 vehicles. You are pretty much ensuring that your neighbours have difficulty parking and yes I think you are selfish twats why don't you move to a house with a drive!

Does anyone else have such entitled car collecting neighbours?

Sorry for the rant but they do my head in. Every night moving their cars to be as close to the house as possible. As soon as anyone leaves the space seems to be filled with one of their cars. angry

MadisonAvenue Sun 31-Mar-19 11:19:49

There's a family on our street who take the piss with the amount vehicles that they own. They're a family of 4 - parents and two teenagers aged 17 and 19 - and have a double garage and a drive large enough for two cars but have a total of 10 vehicles between them.

The husband is a self employed plumber with no employees yet he has three work transits. He also has a car. The wife has a car for everyday use and also has a 4WD just for Winter (in Birmingham ffs) and a convertible for Summer. The 19 year has a car and a work van. The 17 year old currently just has one car but only recently passed her test so time will tell...

WeaselsRising Sat 30-Mar-19 15:17:43

We'd always had drives before we moved here so we were really concerned to not have one. Street of 1930s semis and terraces. We replaced both cars with small ones that would fit bumper to bumper outside our house.

After 5 years or so we started to get commuter parking and at least 5 houses near us had drives put in. Each drive is the width of the house front and takes 2 spaces off the road. Having done so, they then choose to park their car on the street in front of someone else's house and leave the drive clear.

The people immediately opposite have a drive and 2 enormous cars. One is a BMW off road thingy, Chelsea tractor, and the other is an "executive car" which is so long that it doesn't fit on his drive. So he parks in front of our house, and right tight up so he blocks us in angry. (because it is too long to fit in the available space)

The people 3 doors down never use their drive but park their car in front of their NDNs house to save a space for their visitors. Every weekend.

What makes me really angry is that the law says you aren't entitled to the piece of road outside your house, so anyone can come and park outside mine. But having had drives built and already bagged 2 spaces there is no law to say they have to use them. I can't park over their drive, but I am seriously going to park in their drive the next time there is no space at all and theirs is empty. It needs to work both ways.

maddiemookins16mum Sat 30-Mar-19 14:47:17

The house across from us currently has
5 cars
Works van
2 Motorbikes
House has 2 adults, 2 adult daughters (who have partners who stay over a fair bit).
I spend many a minute at the kitchen window washing up but glancing at the almost constant moving, reshuffling of vehicles as they have one drive that fits one car. It irrationally irritates me.

nometal Sat 30-Mar-19 14:00:40

I don't get why people are proud to own about six cars - what's the point? You can only drive one at a time!

You can... so what is the problem?

nometal Sat 30-Mar-19 13:58:14

Surely the equivalent is flying somewhere for the joy of the plane journey? I don’t think anyone objects to people travelling for leisure purposes, more that driving as a leisure pursuit in and of itself with no purpose or need to be out in a car that is polluting the planet is a bit bonkers.

I honestly don't see any difference. Both are creating pollution just so that someone can do something they enjoy, be that simply driving or relaxing on a far flung beach. If pollution bothers you then you should be considering a cycling holiday in the UK.

adaline Sat 30-Mar-19 12:59:03

YANBU.

We have two cars as we both work in different places and live somewhere with no public transport. So, one each. We have one parked on the drive and one on the road (the drive only fits one).

I don't get why people are proud to own about six cars - what's the point? You can only drive one at a time!

dreamalittlebiggerdarling Sat 30-Mar-19 12:47:29

Thanks Make, that's what I was getting at. Clearly flying for non-essential travel isn't great (and the emissions are worse than vehicles especially long-haul) but I'm not sure how comparable it is to people driving for the enjoyment of driving (rather than wanting to visit somewhere, which is more akin to flying). In any case I don't own a car and try and fly as little as possible! I just find the concept of pleasure driving very odd given today's climate crisis.

MakeLemonade Sat 30-Mar-19 12:28:30

Surely the equivalent is flying somewhere for the joy of the plane journey? I don’t think anyone objects to people travelling for leisure purposes, more that driving as a leisure pursuit in and of itself with no purpose or need to be out in a car that is polluting the planet is a bit bonkers.

nometal Sat 30-Mar-19 10:40:30

Wind power would be OK too.

nometal Sat 30-Mar-19 10:39:25

Or practically any travel for leisure, unless it human, animal or solar powered.

nometal Sat 30-Mar-19 10:37:37

The concept of pleasure cars given the air pollution crisis, is just mind-boggling to me.

You could say the same thing about air travel for leisure.

dreamalittlebiggerdarling Sat 30-Mar-19 10:18:16

The concept of pleasure cars given the air pollution crisis, is just mind-boggling to me. confused

MissEliza Sat 30-Mar-19 07:53:32

I can understand getting annoyed or fed up as it does affect your daily life. It's annoying to come home and be unable to park your car because choose not to park on their own driveways or have too many cars. I have this problem a lot at weekends in my street. We also had a neighbour who would park his van in front of our house rather than on their driveway, despite having space. It would block the sunlight. Happily a lady from round the corner left a note saying they were breaking the Highway Code or something because we're on a corner. They never parked in front of our house again!

ivykaty44 Sat 30-Mar-19 07:30:36

If people had to pay to store cars at market value, work vans etc on the street it would stop

Especially the work van as no one is going to pay to store someone else’s vehicle they can’t use

SerenDippitty Sat 30-Mar-19 06:42:28

Some previous neighbours of ours had two cars and a very big van for their business. The house is extended over the drive so only room for one car on it. More often than not the van was parked outside our house spoiling our view from our living room. While they parked their own car outside theirs.

MsTSwift Sat 30-Mar-19 06:27:43

If you live in a cul de sac and have multiple cars your neighbors do hate you and are certainly bitching about you.

NewSchoolNewName Sat 30-Mar-19 06:10:33

I’ve noticed that houses on new build estates rarely seem to have off road parking for more than one car these days, so a driveway that only fits one car for a 4 car house. Garages often aren’t wide enough to comfortably fit a modern car inside them.

I’m sure that contributes to excessive on-street parking, if the adults in a house need a car each for work, they’re (for the most part) not going to give up one car just because they can’t get a house with a driveway that can take 2 cars.
Public transport round here is limited.

I agree that it’s selfish to have more cars than drivers when there’s no off road space for the extra vehicles, especially when it comes to “pleasure” cars.
I can see why someone with a work van might need an extra car though - one of our neighbours has a work van, company logos all over it, he’s not allowed to drive it unless he’s working.

MsTSwift Sat 30-Mar-19 06:01:43

Totally agree raspberry. I predict with climate change and air quality issues car ownership and use will be regulated and rationed and this sort of selfish behaviour will be forced to stop. Can’t come soon enough get a bike you lazy gits.

Raspberry88 Sat 30-Mar-19 05:52:47

You are unreasonably angry about this.

I don't see how it's unreasonable at all. It's something that impacts on people's lives, day after day. I don't drive but well know how it can be a nightmare. It might sound silly to you but wondering if there was going to be a parking space near our house at the end of a horrible, traffic filled and bad driving filled commute really had an impact on DHs mood. I said upthread that I had to walk for streets after my section. We were renovating our house and had to live with piles of rubbish in our garden because we couldn't get the car anywhere near our house to load for the tip. It was a struggle packing anything for holiday or just recently when we moved. It's also something that my DF has always had to contend with and I always remember him being driven mad with it.
Yes, people can have cars if they want to but surely it's completely unsustainable. You can brush it off as it doesn't affect you but there is lots of terraced housing with no drives in this country and if more and more households have more and more cars then surely there has to come a point where something has to be done. What are people supposed to do if there is just nowhere to park their car full stop. Why does someone's right to have a pleasure car or to have multiple cars trump someone else's right to be able to get to and from work?

PregnantSea Sat 30-Mar-19 04:15:55

You are unreasonably angry about this. I agree it's annoying but people can have as many cars are they want to, you don't own the road

Shortandsweet96 Sat 30-Mar-19 03:39:59

I felt a little sick reading this, could have been written about us and got paranoid for a second that you live across from me.

Me and DP on our own and DP has 3 cars and I have one. DP is a mechanic and car fanatic so has one 'daily' one work van and one posh supercar. I have a golf.

We have just had our entire front garden digged out and gravelled as a driveway though so we have all the cars on the drive now plus a space out the back of our house.

Some people have genuine use for more than one car though OP. But YANBU

polarpig Sat 30-Mar-19 03:22:37

YANBU. Our rude neighbours (2 adults, 3 primary age children) have a drive which they extended into the garden and so can fit their 4 cars on. They park two of them on the road which makes it very hard for us to reverse our car off the drive.

BadLad Sat 30-Mar-19 03:09:05

In Japan you have to prove that you have a place to park it before you can buy a car.

Mosschopz Fri 29-Mar-19 23:26:12

Any more than one car isn’t great in my opinion.

Vulpine Fri 29-Mar-19 23:03:55

I've never lived in a more than one motor vehicle household

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »