Talk

Advanced search

To get pigs

(29 Posts)
Wishforafarm Thu 28-Mar-19 13:55:34

We have recently moved to a more country setting. As a child it was always my dream to have a farm.

I have recently purchased some chickens and there is enough room for some pigs. My DH flat out said no, but wont give me an reason other than "they smell" as to why not.

So for those of you who have or had pigs - what are the pros and cons?

WiddlinDiddlin Thu 28-Mar-19 18:01:36

You will need a smallholding number and various bits of paper from DEFRA.. you also need to get permission to move them off your property so if you ever have to take them anywhere.. thats a pain in the arse.

They want more land than you think and they will turn it into a muddy wasteland which will take over a year to recover (and work, harrowing, rolling, re-seeding etc)... So not something to take on lightly at all.

mirime Thu 28-Mar-19 18:08:27

Knowing someone who keeps pigs, I wouldn't. It is hard work, really, really hard work. Also, pigs are smart and will always be trying to outsmart you. Often they'll succeed.

The sausages are lovely though, and I eat them happy that the pigs had a good life.

Find someone near your who keeps pigs and have a chat with them about it perhaps?

Barbie222 Thu 28-Mar-19 18:12:13

Pigs aren't pets but if you want to raise your own organic meat and have a really big freezer and an abbatoir that will do just two or three you might be able to raise a couple of weaners for slaughter. I think you need some sort of license for pigs which you don't for chickens.

SrSteveOskowski Thu 28-Mar-19 18:18:52

My grandparents had them when I was growing up (farm) People say they smell. They don't smell. They absolutely and utterly reek. I grew up on a farm. Dairy mostly, and there is a serious difference between the smell of cow shit and the smell of pig shit.
They don't make good pets. Like most farm animals they're there for a reason. The reason in this case being bacon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »