Talk

Advanced search

School absence

(42 Posts)
Norfolkenchancemate Thu 28-Mar-19 13:42:14

Am I being unreasonable? Got a fine from school, we too the Friday and the Monday over the Easter half term to take the kids to a family christening, £300 fine, I'm fuming. Has anyone appealed and won? Has anyone any experience whatsoever?

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Thu 28-Mar-19 13:43:10

Easter hasn’t happened yet? confused

TeenTimesTwo Thu 28-Mar-19 13:46:50

Presuming the Feb half term? £300 seems a lot.
How many children?
What other absence have they already had this academic year?

PickleLillie Thu 28-Mar-19 13:50:54

You wouldn't get fined for just 2 days absence.

Racheyg Thu 28-Mar-19 13:55:40

Op, isn't it half term over the Easter break? If it's just a christening can't you miss it?

TeaForTheWin Thu 28-Mar-19 14:03:23

Tell them to stick it up their ass. What right does a school have to fine someone? If they try to take YOU to court it'll cost them too surely? So I'd tell them to shove it.

Sirzy Thu 28-Mar-19 14:04:47

A fine for two days? What’s the attendance like otherwise?

A christening won’t be classed as exceptional circumstances though.

TeenTimesTwo Thu 28-Mar-19 14:05:55

Tea In England the LA have the right to fine £60 per child per parent per session missed, if the child doesn't attend 'regularly' which in the test case with the chap from the IoW was found to mean 'in accordance with regulations' as opposed to 'most days'.

NerrSnerr Thu 28-Mar-19 14:19:09

Don't absences have to be approved by the headteacher before the date? You must have known there was a chance of getting fined, you took the risk and lost.

ChicCroissant Thu 28-Mar-19 14:21:31

You don't get fined for only 2 days/4 sessions absence. Either you've taken them out before or there is something else you are not telling us hmm

anniehm Thu 28-Mar-19 14:29:53

You have to get approval for absences BEFORE the trip, then they can consider if it's authorised. If you simply called the school on the day or sent a note in the fine is £60 per parent per child.

Norfolkenchancemate Thu 28-Mar-19 15:09:20

Yes I meant feb half term, panicking, for the purposes of transparency they've got pretty good overall attendance (I didn't realise, the % figure takes offsite learning into account) all had four days absence in December with Noro, the week before Christmas hols, we daren't risk passing it on as one or the other of them was vomming for the whole week, there are 3 kids and yes I put a holiday form in, I was godparent at said christening so couldn't really miss it, and yes they can fine us and they have, received the fine notices this morning. £60 per parent per child, total, so £180 each.

GayParee Thu 28-Mar-19 15:15:00

I think it'll be the 4 days off for each child week beforechristmas holidays what dunnit - our secondary refers any absence the week before/after a holiday to EWO automatically, and the fact that you were unlucky enough to have all three off with the same thing at the same time probably roused their suspicion and this just finished them off.

Lazypuppy Thu 28-Mar-19 15:16:07

Did you not know about the £60 per child/per parent fine beforehand?

I cant see that a school would ever authorise absence for a christening.

Norfolkenchancemate Thu 28-Mar-19 15:18:26

I was in constant contact with the school, phone calls both ways, so they're aware I was at home (cleaning up puke) I'm just so annoyed, another school parent has taken the kids out to go to a festival and not been fined!!

TeenTimesTwo Thu 28-Mar-19 15:19:09

My guess is that they don't believe they were really ill in December and the reckoned you had gone on holiday.

Why did it take 11 days to attend a christening?

Hahaha88 Thu 28-Mar-19 15:22:15

Suck it up and stop moaning. You knew the absence hadn't been authorised, everyone and his dog knows unauthorised absences get fines now. You could have gone on your own.

Sirzy Thu 28-Mar-19 15:29:08

You may have been godmother but the choice to take them out of school for two days to do it was still yours.

Most christenings are on a Sunday so even if travelling is involved two days off school (especially either side of holidays as it sounds) seems excessive.

What would your ground of appeal be?

JacquesHammer Thu 28-Mar-19 15:29:15

Check the details on the LEA website regarding their criteria for fines for unauthorised absence.

harrietkatie Thu 28-Mar-19 15:32:30

I know where I am that the children have to miss 10 session consecutively in order to be find. Morning session= 1 and afternoon=1 so basically 5 days.

And if you do so, yes it's £60 per child per parent.

Next time maybe call in sick?! wink

harrietkatie Thu 28-Mar-19 15:32:45

Fined *

lessthanBeau Thu 28-Mar-19 15:35:18

Our lea only gives one fine per year no matter how many absences you have, its capped at £120 per child per year. I dont know why there is so much inconsistency among leas , and doesn't the absences have to be consecutive (5days/10 sessions) to incur a fine?

Jinglejanglefish Thu 28-Mar-19 15:43:27

Our LEA also only fines for 5 days/10 sessions absence. How can you miss a Monday and a Friday over a half term? Was it the last Friday before and the first Monday back? Where on earth was the christening?

Not that I agree with the fines, I think it's bollocks.

Dramatical Thu 28-Mar-19 15:52:21

£300 or £180?

For 3 children you would not be either of those at £60 per parent per child?

m0therofdragons Thu 28-Mar-19 15:55:00

How do you confuse Feb half term with a Easter and the amount isn't right. This thread is so unbelievable due to lack of ability to be accurate. If it is true, were all 3 children ill for the same 4 days? That would be unusual and school would assume holiday.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »