Talk

Advanced search

New Mirena Coil *TMI* AIBU to think that....

(15 Posts)
TheFormidableMrsC Thu 28-Mar-19 12:54:31

...I should not be bleeding to death with it.

Has anybody had a similar experience to this? I had two Mirena coils concurrently, with no issues whatsoever from my mid-20's onwards. I went into peri-menopause at 40, but had a late baby at 42. Had another one put in post-birth. I suspect now it was nothing to do with the new Mirena but I felt awful, terrible mood swings, lack of libido and now think it was actually PND. Had it whipped out after a month. I ended up having a copper coil put in and that was fine aside from the heavy and much longer period every month but I got divorced in the interim so it wasn't too much of an issue.

Fast forward a few years, I thought I was nearing the end of menopause, periods stopped in December last year, monthly breast pain stopped as did bloating and PMT. Just prior to that I had had several bouts of very heavy bleeding and pain and was sent for a scan and ultrasound. All was well but GP suggested I give Mirena another try as it would control any other irregular bleeding and I could leave it in without worry until I'm done and dusted. On the back of that, I had another one put in a two weeks ago.

Over the past three days I have had the most spectacular flood of bleeding, including endless large clots. I have also had a considerable amount of pain. I did poke about a bit to see if I had expelled the Mirena such was the violence of the flooding but couldn't find anything. It eases off here and there but then starts again with horrendous pain, more flooding and lots of expelled tissue. I am presuming that because I haven't had a period in so long I am losing the thickened lining of my womb. I still can't see any evidence of the Mirena expelling. I have been getting through a super plus tampon plus a night thickness pad every 30 mins to an hour. I saw a GP yesterday as an emergency, she couldn't check coil because of the amount of blood. She prescribed Norethisterone to stem the bleeding so that I can have a further examination tomorrow. I feel weak and tired, I presume due to the level of blood loss. I have never had this before with the Mirena and certainly nothing like it with the copper coil. Has anybody else had an experience like this? I really don't want to have it taken out if I can avoid it, particularly as my peri-menopause symptoms have decreased so significantly but wonder what on earth has caused this to happen? Could it be the introduction of a hormone given I have not had hormonal contraceptive for many years? I am approaching my 50th birthday. Apologies for the long post. I would be interested to hear from anybody who might have been through something similar and what they did about it. I wish I had just left my copper coil in place. So frustrating.

TheFormidableMrsC Thu 28-Mar-19 12:54:59

I posted this elsewhere on MN but didn't get any traffic hence AIBU.

Traccs Thu 28-Mar-19 13:00:48

I've had nothing but good experiences with Mirenas. There's a current thread in Menopause about them.
This sounds horrendous, did your GP think it was connected to the Mirena?

TheFormidableMrsC Thu 28-Mar-19 13:20:47

@Traccs No me neither until this! No problems at all. I'll have a look for that thread, it's hard to find a good place to post stuff like this! The GP was nice (a locum I didn't know) but just said "this can happen and sometimes last for 6 months or more". She didn't grasp quite how much blood until she tried to examine me. It was just pouring out as I'd had to remove tampon. I have lost an awful lot of blood, didn't seem to be very much urgency. As I said, I am back in in the morning to see the nurse I know well but this can't go on. I'll keel over sad

happinessischocolate Thu 28-Mar-19 13:28:09

I bled for about 4 weeks (might have been longer) when I had mine replaced 3 years ago, wasn't able to get back to the doctors so just put up with it.

It's been fine ever since.

Tolleshunt Thu 28-Mar-19 13:34:43

Sorry to hear you are suffering. There are a fair few threads on this, you might want to search them.

Your issues may settle down, and I understand there are medications that can sometimes be prescribed alongside, to reduce side effects, if you are happy to double up on meds.

Be warned, that requesting removal can sometimes be met with a lot of fobbing-off, and even downright refusal(!) Drs seem to want women to persevere for some months before they agree to remove. Obviously, I don't know if you even want or will want removal, but it seems it can be an issue.

I hope you get good treatment, and the symptoms abate soon.

TheFormidableMrsC Thu 28-Mar-19 13:35:12

@happinessischocolate To that extent? I'm having to change protection (which is doubled), every 30 mins to an hour. I understand that some bleed for a while, sometimes months, but I am not sure I can cope with another day of this, or the pain, let alone for month. This could only happen to me!

Karatema Thu 28-Mar-19 13:36:13

I've had mine a long time now (note to self to go to have it removed)!

I had very heavy periods when I first had it including large clots but these were insignificant compared to pre-Mirena. I persevered and, eventually, they subsided and then stopped with the occasional "show".

Good luck

endofthelinefinally Thu 28-Mar-19 13:38:07

I don't think this is connected to the mirena. They are used to stop/reduce bleeding. I think you need further investigation to see if there is a reason for the bleeding. Your GP will probably refer you for a scan and a gynae opinion.

TheFormidableMrsC Thu 28-Mar-19 13:39:31

@Tolleshunt Yes i've been given meds to try and facilitate an examination tomorrow. I am prepared to let it settle but I can't keep on with this level of blood loss or indeed pain. I'm a single mum too (a speedy ASD 8 year old boy!) so it's making things quite difficult. I feel sleepy and have been unable to exercise which is very unlike me. I have never had problems with previous Mirenas and yes I agree, the one I had removed after the birth of DS, I had to make a real fuss. I had none of this with the copper coil so I do wonder if it's just not for me now. Will wait and see what nurse says tomorrow. Thank you!

TheFormidableMrsC Thu 28-Mar-19 13:41:11

@endofthelinefinally I have just had an ultrasound and transvaginal scan a few weeks ago because of unusual one sided pain. All was clear. The only thing it showed was that my copper coil had twisted and was not laying correctly...and that is what led me to having the Mirena again and this nightmare!

TheFormidableMrsC Thu 28-Mar-19 13:42:39

@Karatema Thank you, it's comforting to know that this can happen because I've not found anybody who's had this which what led me to posting here. I am prepared to perservere but can't cope with this level of blood loss for any length of time.

TheFormidableMrsC Sat 30-Mar-19 21:24:18

Thought I'd update thread just in case somebody else happens upon it! Norethisterone worked well and slowed bleeding enough for examination with nurse, who was lovely. Coil still in place..and she said my body is just getting rid of 4 months of build up and it would settle down. Still having a lot of pain but bleeding at normal levels now and back to a regular Tampax and no need for pads. I've got to take the Norethisterone for the next few days and then hopefully it will stop. I feel much better and have bought some iron supplements. Thanks for all your helpful replies ladies and I hope this is useful to anybody else who might experience same.

TheFormidableMrsC Wed 10-Apr-19 15:22:08

Updating again in case anybody else is researching Mirena. Bleeding increased again to unmanageable levels and GP decided to remove it yesterday saying my experience is extremely unusual but I shouldn't be bleeding to this extent a month later. She has put me on the mini-pill for now in the hope that things will settle down and then I will see her again to discuss a way forward. So stressful, I feel rough with it too. Still bleeding heavily today and imagine this will continue for a while.

chickenalapesh Wed 10-Apr-19 15:29:13

Jheeeze, sounds like you're having a rough time of it! I'm dreading having mine out at the end of the year. I bled quite a bit when I first had it and went back 4 times for checks/strings recutting etc. They seem to be a bit of a pain and it's not changed/lessened my flow at all 🤷🏻‍♀️

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »