Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to stop Tom in house spraying?

(16 Posts)
Doggydoggydoggy Wed 27-Mar-19 22:48:31

Without neutering?

Not my cat!
Mine is neutered..

Thurmanmurman Wed 27-Mar-19 22:51:42

If it’s a random tom coming in through the cat flap you can buy cat flaps that read your cats microchip so only he/she can get in. They are expensive, around £80 but worth it in the long run.

Doggydoggydoggy Wed 27-Mar-19 22:54:53

Not quite.

It’s a scraggy but friendly entire Tom that I feel very sorry for and would be happy to let him in the house IF there was some way of teaching him not to spray!

Elmo311 Wed 27-Mar-19 23:20:23

Castration is the only way really. /Not letting him in your house.

MoistMolly Wed 27-Mar-19 23:39:41

Or it could be someone's very much loved cat that has gone missing and they are desperate to get him home. Have you not thought about getting him to a vet to see if he has a microchip?

Doggydoggydoggy Wed 27-Mar-19 23:45:52

When I said let him in the house I didn’t mean to steal him.
I just meant let him in for a bit when it’s cold outside and he’s crying.

Ella1980 Wed 27-Mar-19 23:49:50

If it's not your cat, OP, then tell Tom his behaviour is unacceptable! 😂

Seriously though, I agree that unless he's neutered then I don't think you'll be able to stop him. He's just instinctively marking territory.

steff13 Wed 27-Mar-19 23:56:51

I have him neutered. Here you can get a stray cat neutered for practically nothing. He'll stop spraying and stop running around creating more stray cats.

steff13 Wed 27-Mar-19 23:57:09

I'd 🙄

agnurse Wed 27-Mar-19 23:59:56

I'd take him to the vet for a general health check. While they're at it they can check for a microchip. It's very quick and easy to do that. If he has one, they may be able to contact his owner. If he doesn't have one, you can book an appointment for him to be neutered and they can put in a microchip while they're doing that. We had a microchip put in our Gatsby when we had him fixed.

Hollygoverylightly Thu 28-Mar-19 06:34:55

This probably isn't the case with you, but our cat went missing for a week. We were devastated, my DS made 'missing cat' posters (he was 4 at the time, so cute 😁), his dad walked along all the roofs of our terrasse (I know ssshhhh 😁) looking down chimneys. There was so much crying and anxiety. So with DS we started knocking on doors, turns out the NDN had been giving him tuna every day so he went there for a holiday. I was fuming!! Again, if this isn't the case, sorry, but more likely than not he has a loving home 🙀🙀

GottaGoGottaGo Thu 28-Mar-19 08:02:17

Do you know who owns him? If so, any chance you could speak to them, explain and maybe suggest neutering? If you don't or think he is a stray, I would be tempted to take him to the vets and ask them to check his microchip. If he doesn't have one and you are willing to adopt him, get him neutered. To be honest, I'd be really tempted to get him neutered anyway, if he is fluffy, even a bit, and you hang onto him for a week, his owners won't even notice he has had the snip and the world will be a few unwanted kittens less! wink

MoistMolly Thu 28-Mar-19 08:39:21

To be honest, I'd be really tempted to get him neutered anyway, if he is fluffy, even a bit, and you hang onto him for a week, his owners won't even notice he has had the snip and the world will be a few unwanted kittens less!

You really are batshit crazy for suggesting that

Doggydoggydoggy Thu 28-Mar-19 12:05:04

I know who owns him hence I cannot neuter him, they are not approachable either so I won’t talk about neutering with them.

I definately do not want another cat and have no intention of keeping him whatsoever but he tends to cry a lot at night and sometimes I feel sorry for him.

Lllot5 Thu 28-Mar-19 12:08:15

I thought next doors cat was crying all night turns out the husband lets him out late when he gets home and the wife lets him out early. So not out all night crying at all. I bought him little treats and everything he was just trying it on. grin

MoistMolly Thu 28-Mar-19 13:14:22

He will be crying at your door because he knows you're a soft touch and will feed him. It's best to just ignore him. He will soon get the message and go back home

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »